Thread: Small Waxy Monkey Frogs concerns

ToneDef

Default Small Waxy Monkey Frogs concerns

After a lot of research on Waxy Monkey Frogs, I purchased 3 captive bred ones, about 3 weeks ago, from gherb.com. One of them was a bit bigger than the other 2. The big guy is moving around at night and feeding on small crickets. The other 2 smaller ones seem to stay in the same spot, even at night, and do not seem interested in eating when I offer up a cricket in front of them. I keep a couple crickets in a small glass bowl at the bottom of the enclosure and there are always a few crickets running around free as well. It is possible that the little guys have grabbed a cricket, but I'm not sure. I have their enclosure covered on 3 sides and temperatures are good. Is it normal for the young ones to move around and eat less? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cowbully

Default Re: Small Waxy Monkey Frogs concerns

my male waxy ever since he was itty bitty was never that interested in food. he is not the best hunter so i think he gets discouraged and just sits there, so i started feeding him with tweezers.. he is almost a year old and to this day i feed him from tweezers. cause every once in a while, he will try to go after the crickets that crawl around in the cage for his mate and misses the catch and he will just sit there and pout and will not hunt anymore...

hope my feeding experience helps in any way

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What is your cage set up like? Do you have plenty of hiding spaces? The bigger Waxy may seem like a "predator" to the other two smaller ones and they are scared to move to eat. Or perhaps the bigger one has just adjusted faster to his new environment then the other two. I'm not really sure if Waxys are communal really...? and perhaps the smaller ones are just stressed...? Or...they are just not hungry. There could be many reasons why they are not eating.

cowbully

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    What is your cage set up like? Do you have plenty of hiding spaces? .

I agree toxxxic... can you send a pic of the cage setup. temp and humidity...

My pair hang all over each other but they also grew up together too..

ToneDef

Humidity is at about 40%. Temperatures range from 100 directly under the basking light to 82 at the bottom. Low 80s to upper 70s at night. I'm not using anything for night time heat.
    Here is a picture of the enclosure. It's 18x18x24. You can't see the frogs, but the big guy hangs near the top and the little ones are in the plant on the bottom.

Name:  100_1781 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1180
Size:  103.4 KB

ToneDef

One of the little ones died today. He turned a darker color for a few days and that was it. The big one stills seems happy in the enclosure and I catch him moving around every night. I haven't seen the small one move at all. I'm wondering if maybe the 2 small ones were just too young to be shipped and put into a new environment.

cowbully

so sorry to hear that... its always tough losing a pet.. good luck with the other 2...I would also say bring the humidity up a bit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry to hear that you lost one!

It could be possible that the larger frog is eating all the food and the little ones aren't getting any of the food at all. I would advise that you separate the smaller frog from the larger one you have now and see how that goes. If you "MUST" have more then one frog in an enclosure, I would suggest getting frogs around the same size without such a size differential.

ToneDef

When the frogs arrived, nearly a month ago, the 1 was only a little bigger than the others. The vendor made it sound as if they were all the same age. Since I've had them, he has been eating and getting bigger while the other is not. There is always food available in the enclosure in an easily accessible dish. Only once has the dish been completely empty in the morning.

Thread Information