Thread: White's tree frog calling?

Madeve

Default White's tree frog calling?

So I've had our white's tree frog for a little bit now and she was given to me as a female, the owner before me never heard her call so assumed she was a female. I thought so to since I never heard a mating call until yesterday when I was misting her tank, for some reason my bottle did a weird squeak and my frog responded with 2 little croaking sounds.
    I was wondering if a female will have a mating call or response OR if I actually have a male. S/he is nice and porky and about 3½ inches long.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: White's tree frog calling?

I had read that females will call too, but not as much as a male and usually in response to another one. Maybe it's a female and she was just responding to the squeak.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You said the former owner had not kept him in a suitable condition right? Generally I believe they won't call unless the are happy and not stressed but I do not know if this is true.

Madeve

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    You said the former owner had not kept him in a suitable condition right? Generally I believe they won't call unless the are happy and not stressed but I do not know if this is true.
    The former owner kept her in a 10 gallon tank, with 2 water dishes, a drift wood piece and a plastic plant on coco fiber that had some rather large chunks. Her source of heat was a UVB light that was kept on 24hrs a day.

When I brought her home I put her in a 20 gallon tank with some new coco fiber and some terrarium moss. I scrubbed all her old tank decoration with hot water and used one water dish, the driftwood and plant in the new tank. I added a plant that sticks to the side of the tank and a half log hiding place.
    She came to me with a 40 watt red nightlight which I used to replace the UVB bulb, I keep it on during the day to keep her tank around 85ºF and turn it off at night which drop the temp around 70ºF. The humidity is between 50% and 60% on average.
    She spends most of her day sleeping on the driftwood under the light and hops around at night, all over the place.

Thread Information