Thread: Noob Pacman Owner Feeding Concerns

cr1chard

Default Noob Pacman Owner Feeding Concerns

http://www.imgur.com/qpWdV.jpg
    Setup - I happened to have those ****ty Petco dials, I also have a digital hygrometer and infrared thermometer. Not pictured is a clay flower pot hide that I added. 10 gallon, heat mat on one side (with slate tile acting as a buffer between the heated glass and the coco-fiber substrate (about 3 inches deep)). Temps are about 73 on the surface throughout, with the it getting to about 82 in the substrate on the "hot" side. Humidity stays at 70-80%. I have the moss in there for moisture retention, and I'm tong-feeding to avoid any risk of impaction. I do have a uvb for a day/night cycle, since not a lot of the ambient room light gets in there with the background.

http://www.imgur.com/rAgim.jpg
    The little guy (or girl) - my niece picked this green one over the various ornates and albinos.

Got him Saturday, was told that he ate (1 large cricket). Left him alone (other than misting) until Monday morning to get over any relocation stress. He took one medium dubia nymph Monday morning with the quickness, refused another. Tried another dubia and a phoenix worm Monday night - he ignored the dubia, but jumped at the worm, missing, then ignored it. Same thing Tuesday morning/night (tried to snatch the bug, missed, then gave up). Refused anything Wed morning/night (and was actually out of the substrate for the first time). Refused another dubia this morning. He has pooped twice. Substrate in his water dish indicates that he's been in there either at night or while I'm at work.

I'm so used to my beardie and leo that will murder anything moving, and just want to make sure my frog is eating enough (and otherwise being properly cared for).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Noob Pacman Owner Feeding Concerns

Until he has time to settle in more, you may want to remove the moss and let the food wander around the cage until he eats it. Some pacs never do well being tong fed, while others do great. Mine is a great eater, but only once in her life has she ever taken anything from tongs.
    Not to say you shouldn't keep trying to tong feed, but if you're getting worried you can try just letting the food go until he feels more comfortable taking food from the tongs.

Also, if he keeps not wanting to eat, you may want to put a divider in the 10 gallon until he gets larger. Babies can get freaked out by all the open space in a large enclosure. You can also cover three sides of the tank (or put it in a corner). This makes them feel more secure and he might get braver about taking food from the tongs.

cr1chard

I had concerns about the food burrowing into the substrate, but I will give this a shot. The shop I got him from was actually housing all their baby pacmans in small deli containers, so I suppose the 10 gallon is a bit of a shock

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by cr1chard View Post
    I had concerns about the food burrowing into the substrate, but I will give this a shot. The shop I got him from was actually housing all their baby pacmans in small deli containers, so I suppose the 10 gallon is a bit of a shock
    The fact that the little guy actually ate so soon to begin with is good. just keep trying and do as Was stated above.

Publey

Mine has eating twice from tongs... one super worm and one fish.. just worried in general about him getting the proper nutrition and heat

cr1chard

Update: let some roaches loose in the enclosure. I never witnessed him eat, but I came home after traveling this weekend to a couple big frog poops. I attempted to tong feed last night with no results, but dropped a dubia in front of him, which he chased down and ate. Dropped in a second roach who also met his demise. So I guess my feeding concerns are over (for now).

Thread Information