Thread: Slugs??

DunRingill

Default Slugs??

I have my 3 Whites Tree Frog in a nice planted exo-terra terrarium. Haven't added any plants in several months, and have been feeding my frogs crickets. This morning I saw SLUGS. Counted 4 of them. They're small, and so far my plants look OK. So do I leave them and hope Ms. Fatty Frog decides slugs will be a good snack, or do I need to get rid of them? And where the heck did they come from anyway?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Slugs??

Depending on where you got your plants, i.e. if you bought them from a nursery, then that's probably where the slugs came from. Plants are good places for bugs to hide. Did you clean the plants prior to introducing them into the terrarium (meaning did you give the plants a through rinse and change the potting soil)? It's always a smart idea to do this. On the basis of feeding your frog(s) the slugs, I wouldn't advise it. You don't know where the slugs have been, and if they were from a nursery, they might have fertilizers on them or some other harmful substance. I would just get rid of them
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

DunRingill

Everything in the tank, including the newer plants, came from Black Jungle.....so no, I didn't wash off the plants because of where they came from. So the slugs probably haven't been exposed to any pesticides. Guess I'm a bit surprised that they didn't show up before now! The slugs shouldn't have been exposed to pesticides....should I leave the slugs in there and perhaps the frogs will eventually eat them?

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
    Everything in the tank, including the newer plants, came from Black Jungle.....so no, I didn't wash off the plants because of where they came from. So the slugs probably haven't been exposed to any pesticides. Guess I'm a bit surprised that they didn't show up before now! The slugs shouldn't have been exposed to pesticides....should I leave the slugs in there and perhaps the frogs will eventually eat them?
    Oh they came from Black Jungle (I love that online store)! I still rinse the plants ,just to be safe, when I get any from there as well. You're right, the slugs shouldn't contain any pesticides. Just to be safe, at least this is what I would do, I'd still throw out the slugs.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

DunRingill

Can't even find the slugs right now....maybe Ms. Fatty Frog already ate them! or they're just hiding <G>

S13

I personally would have taken them out once I saw them. It's not worth the risk to me just for my frog to have a little "snack". Hope nothing happens to her.

Thread Information