Thread: My Xenopus Family

Default My Xenopus Family

Hey fellow clawed frog fans. This is my first post, I thought it made more sense to introduce myself here because I only keep clawed frogs. I own five right now and I love them to death! lol There is just something so intriquing about them. Steve is my oldest at around 6 years. I've been told by Jenste (hello again! we talked over email a few months ago) that he is a faintly reticulated albino, although I have yet to see another frog like him. I got him from a Petco (womp, i know...) and he has been my good buddy and lone frog since this time last year. I got Baby Frog as a teeny tiny froglet from a local fish shop. I started out calling her Baby Frog until I thought of something more permanent, but it stuck. I'm really proud of the gigantic girl she has become. After some coorespondance with the people at Grow-A-Frog, I decided to order two froglets. I had learned that Xenopus laevis was illegal in several states and that years ago GAF was caught selling them to customers in those states. The people at GAF assured me that they do NOT sell laevis, but that could not clarify what species they were selling, only that they were "small pipids" lol. Ambiguous much? Well imagine my surprise when my two very cute and very laevis-like froglets came in the male. I'm not located in a state where xenopus are banned, so I'm really curious about what kind of frog they are shipping to other states. I found the whole situation kind of entertaining. So I cannot say that I really agree with the practices of GAF, but my froglets were at least very healthy. Lastly, Bindi is my not-so-little albino lady. She is from the same store as Baby Frog and she is roughly the same age as the GAF brothers. Everyone gets along great. They usually live in a 46 gallon bow tank, however right now they are "camping out" in a 20 long until their 46g is ready (in 2 more weeks!!). I built a 3D background and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm giving it some time to leach minerals and then to cycle, but I'm really looking forward to seeing them in it. Anyway, I'm thrilled to have found a forum dedicated to frogs!! It will be fun chatting with other owner.-Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Xenopus Family

Thanks for sharing your Xenopus. I have been keeping ACFs for many years and by far they are my favorites. Also, I enjoy keeping Pipa pipa and P. parva along with an African bullfrog and a Woodhouse toad.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Lovely frogs! Thank you for sharing! That wildtype has a wonderful pattern.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Thanks folks

Nationality
    [Canada]

Darn it, I'm jealous. I only have 3 ACFs. Nice group you have there.

Polleni98

Nice collection. I will take a few off your hands

Thank you But my frogs are part of the family and I'm not looking to sell them.

emberlisa

I have 7 tadpoles that are about 4 weeks old. Would you want one?

Thread Information