Thread: Need to conserve space, thinking of 5.5 gallon setups... Advice please

Fossildude

Default Need to conserve space, thinking of 5.5 gallon setups... Advice please

So here is my situation. I currently own 3 pacman frogs, and am hoping to find the fourth, a fantasy, to complete my mini collection. I keep my guys in my bedroom on top of my dresser. I currently have 2 tanks. A 10 gallon that has been split on two for my 2 smaller pacmen that are still too small for their own tanks, and a 5.5 gallon that is temporarily housing my adult male ornate (3 weeks) who is only about 3 1/4" StV. Thing is, the smller tank only looses about 4 inches in width and 2 inches in depth in floorspace, and Gojira really doesn't seem to mind the slighty smaller tank. He hasn't moved around except to poop and to chase my tongs when I bring him his nightcrawlers... Anyways if I do decide to buy a fourth frog, I would need 1 tank in the near future and 2 in the long term. If I were to line the tanks up side by side, hotdog style, I could comfortably fit 4 of the 5.5 gallons no problem. If I crammed 4 of the 10 gallons up there, I might have to buy a board or something to account for any overhang off the side. My question is this. Could I keep these guys comfortably in 5.5 gallon tanks their whole lives, perhaps if they are males only? And give the females, If i have any, more room. Or should I make the space for 4 of the 10 gallon tanks?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: Need to conserve space, thinking of 5.5 gallon setups... Advice please

Chances are you do have a male frog and they can live in a 5-gallon tank their whole life, but personally I would give them a 10-gallon just so they have more room, more comfortable, and happier. For adult female frogs I would keep them in tanks that are no smaller than 10-gallon. Right now you don't have that problem, yet, but please plan ahead because chances are you have at least one female frog.
    Assuming you'll have 2 males and 2 females, perhaps you can fit 2 5-gallon and 2 10-gallon tanks on top of your dresser? Another solution (you probably have thought about) is to get another platform for more 10-gallon tanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need to conserve space, thinking of 5.5 gallon setups... Advice please

I agree with Namio.

It is best to provide ample space for them as adults so that you can provide a better temp gradient. A warm side/middle area for a moderate temp section and a cool side. Not to mention they will enjoy having more space to pick and choose where to bury themselves.

IvoryReptiles

You could keep males in 5.5's for their lifespans........they also have 7 gal. tanks that are perfect size and give ample room to roam for the adults as well.

Fossildude

Thanks guys. I decided to go any buy another 10 gallon tank with accessories today. So now my two larger frogs have their own separate tanks and the baby has it's 5.5 gallon

Thread Information