Thread: Could use a little guidance

James Thomas Judd

Default Could use a little guidance

I have started a little project a few weeks ago and that project was setting up a terrarium for my wife. She loves the red eyed tree frogs. I had missed our last anniversary due to being overseas in the military and thought that might make her happy. I have done a good deal of research on the frog and came up with one issue, and that is the red eyed tree frogs being nocturnal. Are there any other types of animals that can coexist with them to bring the terrarium to life during the day or is it just the reading I have done just giving a false impression on the frogs? Any insight would be appreciated and taken into consideration in my setup.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They are extremely nocturnal and not very good pets, not even display pets If you (and/or your wife) would like to actually see a frog for more than a few seconds at night, I would suggest something else. Don't get me wrong, I keep red eyes and enjoy it immensly, but you need to understand that they are not the funniest things to keep, if you're interested in a bold, active frog.
    Most (if not all) tree frogs are more of less nocturnal, so if nocturnalness is a problem, you might want to widen the horizon a bit. To give just a few examples, Bombina orientalis are (not tree frogs but) dinural, active and colourful. Several dart frog species would be a good choice as well.

And no, I wouldn't reccomend mixing species.

Fae

Default Re: Could use a little guidance

I agree with Martin.

You should look into Bombina (Fire-bellied toads)They are very colorful.
    They are incredibly funny to watch.
    Here's a video of mine being funny.... they aren't mating, they are all males, but they are trying to mate anyway.

James Thomas Judd

Default Re: Could use a little guidance

In your experience, is there a chance with working with terrariums that the frogs habitat may just be to lush to see the frog. I am thinking that as long as she can walk past and see one is better than it being completely hidden. I tend to go a little overboard when I create a tank. I know they need a good space, but with the glass I have sitting around I made a plan for L 20 H 30 W 20. Is that a decent size to work with. I am at least trying to get a little extra size so when I start landscaping there usually is not any issues with not having enough room. I make a lot of aquariums, planting a terrarium is it like planting a fish aquarium such as longer growth plants in the back leading to small plants, ie moss or short plants to the front? Thanks for the quick replies as is the information is always welcomed

Thread Information