I totally get that he is building the cost of his consult into his meds. If you were to go to his practice, or to any vet, you pay at least a $50 consult fee. He takes the time to read and answer questions and look at pics. I'm just not sure this qualifies as examining an animal. Yes, he deserves to be compensated for his time. I'm just not sure what is "fair" as he HASN'T seen these animals in person. Just for arguments sake - He has essentially no "overhead" for his internet business. I as a registered vet tech, I can look at a fecal (float or direct smear) of a dog, cat, bird ...ect. and "expertly" know what meds to use. In every practice I have worked for, the techs read the fecals, Its VERY rare that the Dr. EVER looks at a fecal. So again, less than 5 min of a techs time - about a dollar. Profit - $17.
IDK, its hard. I certainly don't want to suggest his professional opinion isn't valuable, or that this service isn't valuable, but I still feel he is making an easy profit and perhaps overcharging to a group of clients that don't have much other recourse.