Thread: Red Eyed Tree frog companions???

dsaundry

Default Red Eyed Tree frog companions???

Can you keep anything else with a red eyed tree frog. Gecko's?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can keep albino red eyed tree frogs .

It is not advisable to keep different species together as they secrete their own protective secretions and can make each other sick.

I purchased a retf who was housed with geckos whose back was all scratched up with wounds. It took several weeks to heal him and he still doesn't eat right . He was very stressed and still won't bond with my other two.

I would have two separate tanks for them.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

4. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree frog companions???

The only thing you should keep a red eyed tree frog with is another red eyed tree frog, and even then, only if you have enough room.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you'll hear it from others if not me: do not mix species. The risks of stress, aggression, toxins, bacterial contamination, behaviorial conflicts, among other issues (the list goes on and on) that come with mixing are simply too great. I can understand the temptation to do so - I've had to learn the hard way myself - but in the long run, it's better for the animals involved, and isn't that the most important thing?

6. This member thanks killerecho for this post:

dsaundry

Thanks, that's what I was kinda thinking. Seperate it will be. Thanks all for the answers🐸

Nationality
    [United States]

But, however the green red eyes and the yellow/albino red eyes can live together and would give you a nice color variation . Just a thought .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

TheFroggyDragon

Keep some "pretty feeders" in the tank with them. I add hornworms to my RETF tank every week. They are pretty to watch crawl around and the RETF will feed on them. I am trying to find some attractive moths that are frog edible to add to my tank as well.
    Side note.. never add wild caught

11. This member thanks TheFroggyDragon for this post:

dsaundry

Would the albinos cross breed with the regular red eye tree frogs?? I think if it is like my dart frogs it would be strictly frowned upon. Don't know anyplace up in Canada that sells hornworms but I will look around. Thanks for all the replies.

Nationality
    [Canada]

here sells them RECORP Inc. - The Reptile, Bird, Amphibian, Insect Feeder Company not sure what they are like as never dealt with this company. I'm sure they'll have them at the abbortsford reptile show at the weekend if your going.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
    Would the albinos cross breed with the regular red eye tree frogs?? I think if it is like my dart frogs it would be strictly frowned upon. Don't know anyplace up in Canada that sells hornworms but I will look around. Thanks for all the replies.
    Yes, albino and non-albino can off course create offspring, but red eyes won't just breed out of nowhere (like many dart frogs do). You need to cycle the tank with dry -and rain season and preferably move them to a rain chamber. And if you really don't want to add albinoism to the genes of the offspring, just remove the albino of you would try to breed them in th future.

Thread Information