Thread: FBT doesn't want to eat, but gaining weight

busytiredmom4

Default FBT doesn't want to eat, but gaining weight

I have a FBT that since I brought him home in November has never really been interested in eating. I know he's gained weight because he's twice as wide as his sister. The pet store owner says that he's probably eating when we're not looking. Even when I go to feed my toads (I have 4), he's the only one that seems totally uninterested in whatever's crawling by. I feed crickets, mealworms (on occasion), flies and other random bugs. The insects can be right in front of his face, moving all around and he doesn't care. The pet store guy says as long as he's gaining weight and there's no other problems, there's no need to worry. Anyone had the same problem or know of what's causing this? I've attached pics to show you what he looks like...Fuego is the brighter green one
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FBT doesn't want to eat, but gaining weight

Much weight on a frog is the water which they absorb while soaking. It is probable that he is eating when your not looking and if your finding droppings from both frogs then you know he is eating something.

He may not be going after the feeders right off due to the other frog being more aggressive towards getting to the food. I would monitor his weight, ensure your finding droppings from the frog and keep up what your doing since he looks fine in the photo.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

busytiredmom4

Default Re: FBT doesn't want to eat, but gaining weight

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Much weight on a frog is the water which they absorb while soaking. It is probable that he is eating when your not looking and if your finding droppings from both frogs then you know he is eating something.

He may not be going after the feeders right off due to the other frog being more aggressive towards getting to the food. I would monitor his weight, ensure your finding droppings from the frog and keep up what your doing since he looks fine in the photo.
    Thank you for your advice. I know she's definitely gained weight since I got him in November and there's always poop! lol...Even though the FBTs spend about 90% of their time in the water, I"m guessing he eats when I'm not looking. He's been a pretty shy eater since I brought him home meaning he won't eat if anyone is around or looking at him. He's always been skittish even in the pet shop. But he's beautiful and healthy and appears happy so I'll monitor my babies like usual and I usually watch from afar when I feed to make sure everyone gets their fair share. Thanks again!

Thread Information