Thread: Axolotl

spooky

Default Axolotl

Hi!
    I finally decided to buy an axolotl. I've liked them for years and have a spare tank so could see no reason not to. We got an albino one, and he's more white than pink. I left him (I'm guessig here...) in his tank to settle for a few hours before chucking in a worm (which he gobbled up straight away).
    What I want to know really is how often should I feed Casper (named 'cos he looks like a ghost!)?
    And do I need to dust the worms with a supplement? Or will the supplement just wash off in the water?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Axolotl

My best suggestion here is John's other sites- Caudata.org and The Axolotl Site.

All you questions will be answered there...and then a few years from now you will curse his name as you are addicted to amphibians and have more critters than your local zoo!
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very young axolotls (not larvae) - all they can eat in 15 minutes, once per day.
    Older juveniles - all they can eat in 15 minutes every 2 days.
    Adults - all they can eat in 15 minutes every 3-4 days.

They require no supplements whatsoever. Supplementation is not usually an issue for newts and salamanders.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

spooky

Ahhh, ok! I'm guessing casper's an older juvenille as he's about 4" long. Thanks for the links and info guys

Thread Information