Thread: Carpet Beetles?

Miss Roddam

Default Carpet Beetles?

Ok so i know its a bad thing to get these with crickets meaning the cricket farm don't clean regular but my frog loves these! And with her being smaller than a dart frog it is easier to feed her these than crickets. I separated the larvae from the crickets as they eat flesh and occasionally i throw them in a dying cricket or dead cricket and they eat it all in about ten minuets leaving just the outer shell/skin. So if you find these seperate them from your crickets straight away! They ate one of my boxes of crickets in a day! So anyway how many should i feed to Baie? At the moment i give her 1-2 every other day. Is this enough? Also a beetle/adult carpet beetle was in with them. How can i produce more of these larvae with out having to pop into leaping lizards to buy a box of crickets for £1.50 just to get the larvae?
    Also here is a picture i found on the internet:

Adult:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Carpet Beetles?

Dermestid Beetles and their larvae feed upon death - cricket breeders frequently place them in their bins to keep up with cleaning of the dead bodies; which lowers the amount of cleaning and smell produced by the crickets and helps to prevent the spread of disease. They shouldn't be touching live crickets unless they are in the process of dying or good and dead. Crickets are kind of nasty little guys, they will eat the **** out each other if there isn't adequate space, food, and moisture for hydration.

But dermestids have their pros and cons, depending on the environment you live in, they can get out and be a nuisance... I think there are more worthwhile feeders for you to pursue than dermestid beetles that are equally inexpensive and easy to breed. Perhaps you may want to consider roaches, or soldier grubs ('calci-worms, phoenix worms). They are more nutrionally sounds and make great feeders, while being fairly easy to raise.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Thread Information