Thread: Red bulb question?

Froggiefressh

Default Red bulb question?

At pet stores around me they have the usual reptile night bulbs. They also have aquariums lights that are the same color
    and same wattage, which are much cheaper. I was wondering if there was a difference in the bulbs that it doesn't say on
    the box? Also for my albino cranwelli are red lights okay to use? I know certain lights will cause them to go blind, but I've also heard
    infrared lighting and red bulbs do not cause damage to their eyes. Can someone correct me or let me know if this is true or not?
    Right now I am using a CHE. This bulbs gets really hot since its been warmer and has been pumping up my temp. I would
    like to substitute the CHE for the nighttime viewing bulb to keep my temps right.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red bulb question?

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    At pet stores around me they have the usual reptile night bulbs. They also have aquariums lights that are the same color
    and same wattage, which are much cheaper. I was wondering if there was a difference in the bulbs that it doesn't say on
    the box? Also for my albino cranwelli are red lights okay to use? I know certain lights will cause them to go blind, but I've also heard
    infrared lighting and red bulbs do not cause damage to their eyes. Can someone correct me or let me know if this is true or not?
    Right now I am using a CHE. This bulbs gets really hot since its been warmer and has been pumping up my temp. I would
    like to substitute the CHE for the nighttime viewing bulb to keep my temps right.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Hi Greg,

Infrared bulbs are just fine for your Albino. I recomend you use a lamp that has a dimmer switch to reduce heat coming from the bulb. Aquarium lights are not quite the same since the water is heated usually by a submersable heat source. I don't think the bulbs produce as much heat.

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hi Greg,

Infrared bulbs are just fine for your Albino. I recomend you use a lamp that has a dimmer switch to reduce heat coming from the bulb. Aquarium lights are not quite the same since the water is heated usually by a submersable heat source. I don't think the bulbs produce as much heat.
    Hey Grif, =)

Is an infrared and a red bulb the same thing or is there a difference? Do you know where I could find a lamp with a dimmer switch? I've searched a few places, but have yet to find one.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey Grif, =)

Is an infrared and a red bulb the same thing or is there a difference? Do you know where I could find a lamp with a dimmer switch? I've searched a few places, but have yet to find one.
    Infrared and red bulb are not the same. An infrared bulb is made to produce more heat then light. A red bulb is just a regular light bulb with red glass. It will produce heat, but not as much as the bulb designed to produce heat.

You should be able to find a Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with Dimmer at any Petsmart.

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Infrared and red bulb are not the same. An infrared bulb is made to produce more heat then light. A red bulb is just a regular light bulb with red glass. It will produce heat, but not as much as the bulb designed to produce heat.

You should be able to find a Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with Dimmer at any Petsmart.
    One last question Grif! =P I've read and been told that you need a special wire lamp for a CHE, which is what I bought. If I were to buy that lamp you showed me would I be able to put my CHE bulb in it?!

Nationality
    [United States]

One last question Grif! =P I've read and been told that you need a special wire lamp for a CHE, which is what I bought. If I were to buy that lamp you showed me would I be able to put my CHE bulb in it?!

Yes you can use it with the CHE. Make sure you buy a lamp stand though so the lamp isn't sitting dirctly on top of the enclosure because CHE get really hot and will make the lamp dome and ceramic socket on the lamp very hot.

Thread Information