Thread: Are redeyed tree frogs good pets?

Thechinaboy

Default Are redeyed tree frogs good pets?

Hey guys, so my question is are red eyed tree frogs good pets? Are they easy to keep ? Do they grow big? Do they like being handled? Are they much different to whites ? Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Are redeyed tree frogs good pets?

I own Whites and RETFs and from my experience so far they are pretty different. The humidity and temps are different. I would not recommend holding a Red Eyed Tree Frog, they do not have a protective coating on their skin like the Whites do so they are more susceptible to getting sick from being held. I only hold mine if necessary for care or cleaning, aside from that I let my little Red Eyes entertain me by allowing me to watch them, think of them like a beautiful fish in a tank; they are great to watch but you don't hold them. The Whites is a much hardier frog and they eat a lot more then my Red Eyed Tree Frogs do from what I have noticed. The RETFs also seem really fragile especially when I compare them to my Whites. The RETF is a bit smaller then a Whites, they are about 1"-2" smaller SVL. Those are some of the major differences that I can think of off the top of my head. Hope that helps answer your question.

Flick

I was considering getting an Australian Red Eyed Tree frog until yesterday, I went to the Royal Show here where the frog exhibitors were and I was told the following:

Red-Eyed Leaf Frog's do not like being handled.
    Handling actually harms the frogs.
    They are very fragile and sensitive, a small problem can turn a healthy frog into a dead one in a matter of days.
    They are comparatively more reclusive, preferring to hide away amongst the plants then come out and bask.
    They have much more specific care requirements than a whites, ie humidity, ambient temperature.
    They are nocturnal, so without a midnight lamp you aren't likely to see them hunt.
    BUT they are very beautiful and many people absolutely love them because of their colouring amongst other things.

Whites on the other hand, I know from experience:

They're very friendly, more than happy to sit out on their logs and watch you adore them.
    Handling isn't an issue, they are one of the safest frogs to handle.
    They are EXTREMELY hardy! I've made every newbie mistake possible and my little fellows are just fine.
    They are good eaters! They will happily be hand fed or eat of animal tweezers.
    Extremely easy to keep, they don't need much in the way of anything but food!
    They grow quite large, third biggest of the Australian tree frog species.
    And they are very very very good pets. I love my whites!

Nationality
    [United States]

no i have had white tree frogs before and a red eyed i have bred a few frogs before too but my red eye did not last long they have to have everything just so or they will die

samtheman

I wouldn't get a retr for a first frog. whites are a great first frog. them or amazon milks, gray tf's or American or European green tf's. if you want a frog to handle a bit though, try a whites or amazon milk, they don't stress so easily

Thread Information