Name:  2012-04-17_00-50-01_527.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  138.1 KB

He hasn't been eating

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Flumper

Default Re: Does my pacman look sick

he looks prefectly fine not skinny or anything, how many days has it been and when has he pooped last?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Definitely doesn't look sick to me either! How are you keeping him set up?

firsttimepacman

I just moved him from a 5 gal to a 20 it has a false bottom and waterfall the humidity jumping up and down that's why i moved him to this tank with the false bottom and waterfall. The humidity stayed in the 80's last night but the temp got down to 68 he pooped last night but hasnt eaten in about 2 wks and he only one cricket then please help me dont want to lose my cheech

Nationality
    [United States]

My next question - how big is your Cheech?

firsttimepacman

He is about 2 3/4 in from mouth to butt

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm...it could be stress. How long ago did you move Cheech to his/her new enclosure? You may want to switch him/her back to the 5 gallon. Smaller spaces make them feel secure while having a larger open space makes them feel vulnerable. However, if you want to keep Cheech in the 20 gallon then perhaps try covering three sides of the tank so s/he can't see from every direction.

firsttimepacman

Just moved him lastnight

firsttimepacman

Should i try a mouse the pet store i got him from the lady there said she used feeder tongs and fed him one mouse every Wednesday night nothing else so i wonder if hes used to eating that instead of crickets and night crawlers hes never been real aggressive when eating it would take me putting it in his face for proba ly 5 to ten minutes before he would strike pet store told me he was the better eater out of the two so i dont know

MeMyselfandI

Mice should be fed only once a month since they are harder digest than insects. second opinion.....anybody?

Flumper

since you just moved him for the 5 to a 20Gallon he might be a little stressed, i would just throw some crickets in with him leave him for like a day or so and then try again, my pac didnt eat for 3 days when he came from the store to my home

Nationality
    [United States]

I think it is stress too. And rodents are only suppose to be fed as treats. A rodent once a week is overkill! Since you just moved him yesterday, give him a couple of more days to settle in. If he does not eat the crickets when you put them in after a couple of hours - remove them. The crickets may decide to chew on your frog overnight, and if it were my frog, I wouldn't risk that. He will not starve in a couple of days. He looks nice, fat & healthy.

firsttimepacman

so its alright he hasnt eat in 2 wks then. He's had a cricket in there for 2 wks and nothing i put a night crawler in front of his face he just kept turning the other way

firsttimepacman

Thanks for advice about crickets over night i will remove it

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimepacman View Post
    so its alright he hasnt eat in 2 wks then. He's had a cricket in there for 2 wks and nothing i put a night crawler in front of his face he just kept turning the other way
    Some can go longer periods of time without eating. You should start to worry when he becomes skinny. If worse comes to worse you may try to force feed him. How exactly do you have him set up: temps, substrate, hides?, decorations...?, etc.

firsttimepacman

False bottom with eco earth waterfall with pond no decoration yet going to put snake plant in or do you recommend something else the humidity was jumpin around thats y i put him bigger tank with waterfall and lately the temps at night have been dropping to the high 60's

Flumper

i dont think the crickets would "chew" your frog, im pretty sure a pac can fight off a cricket even if it did lol

IvoryReptiles

Okay, here we go :

Just my opinion, but a 20 gallon tank is just too much room for even an adult Pacman Frog.
    I would do a 10 gal. at the largest.
    You need to make sure the temps are in an acceptable range as well as the humidity......it's a little work to tweak it, but it is needed.

As for the feeding. The rodents should be a treat used every other month or so.....NOT as a staple. Mammalian proteins are hard for them to digest. The frog has been basically trained to eat only mice......so now you get to re-train it. Don't feed it anything for another week.......offer a night crawler every night until it takes it. Offer night crawlers & crickets nightly. NO mice until it starts eating the other food items regularly. Pain in the butt, it will be worth it in the end when you have a healthy frog that lives longer. Now, don't let it get all skinny on you.....try different food items......get some of the Samurai Pacman food......it is well balanced and once they know it's food, they love it. It will last a while with 1 frog to feed.

I hope this helps!

firsttimepacman

So how many night crawlers or how many crickets should a pacman frog cheech's size and how often thank you for helping me

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Flumper View Post
    i dont think the crickets would "chew" your frog, im pretty sure a pac can fight off a cricket even if it did lol
    If a cricket is left in for a long period of time with your critter...it may decide to make a little snack out of your frog. It's a possibility and, being me, I do not leave food items in if they are not eaten right away to prevent accidents from occurring. Just because you think it may never happen, doesn't mean it wouldn't. Again, this is my way of doing things with my own frogs and it's just an opinion. I'm not saying you 100% HAVE to do this.

I think the temperatures are probably a bit off. They may be a bit too cool for him. You may want to try getting a UTH so he has a warm place to go to if he chose to be warmer. I would agree with IvoryReptiles' advice and not offer it any food at all for a couple of days to a week and then begin offering a cricket or two or nightcrawlers until it eats one or the other. It will be MUCH more healthier for Cheech in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information