Thread: lets talk temps...

BigBlue83

Default lets talk temps...

so I live in CT. the summer is approaching FAST! it was in the 80's today, i woke up two days ago and my door to my truck was frozen shut (thats just apart of being in new england) anyways... in the winter i had to use a UTH and a 50 what infrared bulb to keep dotts temp up. however i came home today the light was off ( its set for around 80 degrees the light will turn off and on to set the temp at around 80) so today the light was off but the temp was 85.6. my house is pretty warm got the fans going. i took the lid off the tank for a couple minutes then misted and put the lid back on without the piece of plexi glass that covers 70 percent of the lid. i wanted to bring the temp down to about 82. ive been on here a while so i know the ranges of temp, however i wanted to take a moment to focus on the high side. what is too high of a temp and for how long? has anybody had a problem of too high of temps, if so how did you regulate it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: lets talk temps...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    so I live in CT. the summer is approaching FAST! it was in the 80's today, i woke up two days ago and my door to my truck was frozen shut (thats just apart of being in new england) anyways... in the winter i had to use a UTH and a 50 what infrared bulb to keep dotts temp up. however i came home today the light was off ( its set for around 80 degrees the light will turn off and on to set the temp at around 80) so today the light was off but the temp was 85.6. my house is pretty warm got the fans going. i took the lid off the tank for a couple minutes then misted and put the lid back on without the piece of plexi glass that covers 70 percent of the lid. i wanted to bring the temp down to about 82. ive been on here a while so i know the ranges of temp, however i wanted to take a moment to focus on the high side. what is too high of a temp and for how long? has anybody had a problem of too high of temps, if so how did you regulate it?
    85 is considered the top out temp for adult Pacman Frogs, but it is fine to occationally raise the temps to 87 for an hour or 2. You can shut off all heat sources if the temp in the tank is at the correct level. You can also buy cooling fans that are made from computer fans to pull hot air and humidity out of the enclosure. If you have a hygrotherm or another unit to regulate the climate it will turn the fans on to cool the tank as well as heat units and humidity units.

BigBlue83

i put the lid back on and also put the plxiglass on and the temp is sitting at 81.4 which is good thats with the UTH. BUT the windows are open. tomorrow when i go to work they will be closed agian. i think ill run home at lunch time and check it, if its too hot i will unplug the UTH. ( i work from 7 to 330 and take lunch at noon) i will also have my wife keep an eye on the temp. when i got home is when it read 85.6 i dont know how long she was in that range for. shes buried 100 percent so shes in the cool moist eco earth. i think she will enjoy the summer soo much more. her eco earth stays more moist because the temp is natural compared to the infrared drying it out.

BigBlue83

now its up to 82.3 so i will keep an eye on it to see if it continues to raise i will remove the plastic thats on half of the screen lid. if that doesnt help i wonder if i should do the UTH (it never really did much 9 dont think) or remove the plexiglass covering 3/4 of the top. i use the plexiglass for humidity

BigBlue83

so it got back to 85 was 85.8 so i unplugged the UTH. lets see what happens now...

coastal20

I am having the same problems, just got home and the temp on the frog cages was 90. I had to turn off the lights and mist the cages.
    I usually use an ac unit in the summer just to keep the room at 80. I also want to switch all my frog lights to led because that does not produce very much heat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by coastal20 View Post
    I am having the same problems, just got home and the temp on the frog cages was 90. I had to turn off the lights and mist the cages.
    I usually use an ac unit in the summer just to keep the room at 80. I also want to switch all my frog lights to led because that does not produce very much heat.
    90? Is your frog ok? That's way to hot. They can get kidney failure from heat stress if your frog gets too hot for too long.

coastal20

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    90? Is your frog ok? That's way to hot. They can get kidney failure from heat stress if your frog gets too hot for too long.
    Yea he was fine, It was the baby cornuta's cage too..was dug into the wet eco earth. The temp was probably only that high for 10 minutes as my climate controller emails me when the temp reaches 90, so I shut everything down except for a few lights, the cage is still at 85 right now with a fan running and all my windows open though. I was not prepared for this heat yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by coastal20 View Post
    Yea he was fine, It was the baby cornuta's cage too..was dug into the wet eco earth. The temp was probably only that high for 10 minutes as my climate controller emails me when the temp reaches 90, so I shut everything down except for a few lights, the cage is still at 85 right now with a fan running and all my windows open though. I was not prepared for this heat yet.
    Good to hear. Hopefully you can prevent this from happening again.

Thread Information