Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New whites tree from home

priya

Default New whites tree from home

hi, im gonna buy my two whites tree frogs a new home, im thinking of getting one which is 18 x 18 x 18 inches, will this be tall enough?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New whites tree from home

I like the ones that are 18X18X24. That's what I have now. But I had one that was 12X12X18 before, and they were fine in it until they outgrew it. I think if you can get one that is taller, great, but if you can't, then that would be fine.

priya

i could get one which was 24 high but the problem is i have a shelf with all my tarantullas on above the frog tank and at the moment they are in a 12 x 12 x 18. if i went to 24 inch high i wouldnt beable to get the light on top as the shelf would get in the way. so do you think that 18 high isnt tall enough? they wil be getting more floor space tho.

I think the 18 inch would be fine. One of my friend's has an 18x18x18, and she had two in there. One was -huge- too. Like 3-4 inches.

priya

so will they be able to stay in the 18 high one for the rest of there lives or will i need to upgrade them later on?

I'm really not sure...I guess it depends on how big they get? My friend's seem comfortable. But what if you have two females that get like 4 inches?

I don't think there's really that much difference between 18 and 24 inches. Especially if you are limited by space.

priya

i think i have one male and one female, because one has a larger head and never croaks, and one has a smaller head and croaks all the time, they are both just juvenilles at the mo id say 2 inches long not including there legs.

you doing want higher because they really dont climb that far up. if you fine then in the wild there not on top of the trees. there closer to the bottom. you want wider not higher. and female and male whites cork. males just do it more. and they shouldnt be doing that intell there adults.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My dumpys... like to play alot. I have 2 of them in a 30 gallon deep tank. they jump from the glass to the plants and from plant to plant. I think there favorit thing to do is drop from the tall plants with one foot still attached and hang till a cricket walks under them. Then they letgo and drop to the bottom to devower there pray. They also have an olympic event of glass racing... they run around the glass as fast as they can chaising eachother. Well to say the least... they have a lot of fun. Make big messes. Enjoy as much space as they can find. Enjoy......

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by priya View Post
    hi, im gonna buy my two whites tree frogs a new home, im thinking of getting one which is 18 x 18 x 18 inches, will this be tall enough?

Four out of my five Whites tend to sleep on the ground of their enclosure. But at night time they are all over the place. They do like to climb a lot so my advice would be to go with the biggest possible enclosure that you can fit in your house/budget. That way you don't have too worry about them outgrowing it eventually.

My White's almost never sleep on the ground. Even when they are at 'ground level', they are sticking to the wall or bark or a plant. But the ones at work tend to. I'm not sure what makes makes one frog or the other choose the wall or the ground. They certainly move around a lot at night. Especially Luigi. He's a party animal. All night long, jumping around, slipping and sliding on rocks, tossing dirt and moss around, performing acrobatics.

I disagree with wider over taller though. My two White's were in a 10 gallon aquarium. Then I got the taller small Exo-Terra habitat, and my frogs were a lot more active and seemed to be doing better. Then I upgraded to the bigger Exo-Terra habitat, and they are doing fantastic in it. They use the height. They love climbing to the top and jumping down. It's a game to them.

Baudrillard started croaking when he was just a tiny frog, between 1-2 inches long. Definitely still a juvenille. And he did everynight for a few months. Then he suddenly stop, but Luigi croaks. Luigi has croaked from the day I got him though, and he wasn't quite an adult yet, but bigger than Baudrillard was.

Kurt

If any of my treefrogs are sleeping on the ground that sends up red-flags to me immediately. In the past I have found treefrogs that were sleeping on the ground were hypocalcemic. Once they started receiving enough calcium they slept off the ground again.

With treefrogs, a taller enclosure is much better than a wide one. Its true most treefrogs are not found in the forest canopy, but at the same time they wound be found on the ground either. So a taller cage is essential with all Hylids, Centrolenidids, Rhacophoridids, and Hyperoliidids.

Also, White's females don't croak, they have a release call, but they don't call like males do.

female do crok. i saw a video on youtube where the male was croking alot and the female was croking every once in a while. even if you read books of stuff on line they well say that female well cork but not as much as the males.

Julia

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    If any of my treefrogs are sleeping on the ground that sends up red-flags to me immediately. In the past I have found treefrogs that were sleeping on the ground were hypocalcemic. Once they started receiving enough calcium they slept off the ground again.
    Hmm...interesting. I will up the calcium and see if anything changes. Thanks for the heads up.

Kurt

Never heard a female croak. Are you sure you were hearing a female?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    Hmm...interesting. I will up the calcium and see if anything changes. Thanks for the heads up.
    You're welcome.

Julia

Never heard a female croak. Are you sure you were hearing a female?
    If you hold the frog gently in your hand with your thumb across the center of its belly, sometimes the male frogs will croak. Their throats swell and they make loud barking noises. I tried this with the one Whites I believe to be a female, and it only makes a tiny squeaky noise. Similar to the male but her throat does not puff up and its not nearly as loud. At night when the boys are singing as loud as they can, the female just sits and looks at them like they are crazy. Other then her little squeak, she does not croak.

Kurt

Thats what is called a release call. Both genders do it in a lot of species. It is used by females to let certain males that their attention is unwanted and by males to let other males know they have made a bad choice in a mate. "Get off me dude!"

By no means is this a call or "croak". There are some species in which both genders call, Xenopus laevis comes to mind, but Litoria caerulea is not one of them.

It is used by females to let certain males that their attention is unwanted and by males to let other males know they have made a bad choice in a mate. "Get off me dude!"
    So that's what they were saying! It's fun to hear the squeak when one jumps on top of the other. Luigi is quite the clumsy acrobat.

Well then, perhaps I have two males. Like everyone else, I was under the impression that females will, but not as often and in response to a male. So, I thought Baudrillard was possibly a female since Luigi did it a lot more, and Baudrillard would do it when I played a sound file of White's calling.

read the form on breeding whites tree frogs on here, Im sure it says under breeding that the female well cork when the male does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information