Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filled with air?

Pandamanda111

Unhappy Filled with air?

Hello!
    im new here, so I hope I posted in the right spot.
    I have one white's tree frog. Ive had him for about a year and a half.
    It seems that he is often filled with air...I'm not sure if that makes sense. His sides are bloated with air.
    Does anybody know what this means? Is he stressed? Lonely? Sick? Poor guy, I wish I knew what's wrong!
    thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Filled with air?

Hello, Welcome to Frog Forum!
    Yes-- this is the right forum area. I do not have Whites , but MANY do !
    I have cut and pasted another post to help you move things along.

Trouble in the enclosure or a frog is ? sick ?
    It is great that one seeks advice ! After all, that's why we are here !!!
    There actually may be nothing wrong , or conversely, a change in behavior warrants keeping a close eye on your froggy friend !

'patience is a virtue' AND 'time is of the essence'

If there is trouble in the frog enclosure it will be very helpful if one could provide as much of the following information as possible:
    THEN---- post this information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog so there is no confusion

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area

Lynn -AND -- Thank You Grif !!!!!!!!
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ad-sticky.html
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Pandamanda111

Thank you for your nice response!

1-size of enclosure- about 6 gallons (we will upgrade as he gets larger)
    2-# on inhabitants - 1 whites tree frog
    3-humidity- I spray it about 6x a day
    4-temp- around 75*F
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- aged bottled water
    6-materials used for substrate- coconut husk and moss
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv- a fake plant and a hidey cave- washed off and sprayed with aged water
    8-main food source- crickets
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )- once a week
    10-lighting- a purple heat lamp and a white light
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- heat light
    12-when is the last time he ate- yesterday
    13-have you found poop lately- yes
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog- about 1.5 yrs
    16-how long have you owned him- around. Year
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred- captive
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats- crickets
    19- about how often the frog is handled- once every two weeks about
    20-is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- medium

Thanks!

S13

Are you sure its not water and its for sure air?

InfinitysDaughter

I think your temp needs to come up. It should be a little higher, closer to or above 80, during the day. What do you mean by aged bottled water? Is it dechlorinated? Chlorine is toxic to them and can be found in some bottled water. Is s/he able to climb on the fake plant? These are tree frogs so they want to be up and if they dont have that then it can cause stress which can lead to illness. What sort of moss? Is it frog moss (carpet moss) or loose moss? Loose moss can lead to impaction if ingested.

How does he act? Does he act listless or lethargic? You said hes eating so thats a good sign that its not impaction or some other digestive problem. Other then the moss and water that I'm not sure about (just cuse need more info) it looks like everything is pretty good, just bring the heat up just a smidgen.

It would really help to see a picture if you can. Its possible that hes absorbed a lot of water and its that, not air, thats causing him to look bloated. My baby pac almost died because he was bloated with water but was loosing weight and I didn't realize how fast he was loosing weight because of that.

Pandamanda111

oh. i mean i think it's air, it feels like air, at least. he sleeps all day, and sits on his cave at night. what size terrarium do most people here have? just curious.

whoa, sorry that's so big! anyways, see how he looks as if he is filled with air on his sides?

by aged bottled water, i simply meant that it's bottled water that has been left out for a few days.

thanks for your help

InfinitysDaughter

Looks like he might be a little on the chubby side going by the sapium ridges (over his ears). When they start to cover the ears like that, its a sign of obesity. He also looks larger then my Azy (judging how he fills your whole hand) who is in a 10 gallon and needs a larger one. Whites should really be in a 20 gallon vertical tank. Being in such a small tank he dosn't have much room to exercise which leads to just sitting around and gaining weight. They may be called "dumpys" but being dumping isn't good for them.

As for the immediate question, hes either puffing himself up or is puffed up with water. Do you happen to notice if he opens his mouth repeatedly or rubs his sides with his feet and hands when he does this? If he's puffing himself up its probably in an effort to stretch his skin so it comes off easier as he sheds. If hes puffing up with water it probably means its a little too humid in his tank. If you dont have one already, get a hydrometer for the tank. I keep my humidity between 70 and 90% (70 being if I havn't misted most of the day and 90 is right after I misted) it averages out to be around 80% in general.

I would also get some dechlorinator for the water just to be on the safe side. Some bottled water brands still have chlorine in it and, well, better safe then sorry right?

Hope that helps. ^^

Pandamanda111

Oh! Thank you for that helpful answer.
    I did not know we were overfeeding him, we give him 10 crickets about 2x a week. What would be a better amount?

He does not rub or open his mouth when he does this, he's just kind of puffed up, I guess. I will go pick him up and see if it could be water, but I really think it's air. Doesn't that mean they're stressed or something?

He does not fill my whole hand, actually. He is about 2.5" from nose to bottom.

Would a 10 gallon aquarium be better? He doesn't climb much, it's wet so he slides down the side sometimes. He always sleeps in his cave. We have a little bendy stick thing for him to climb on.

Is there special frog-safe dechlorinator, or can I use the kind that i use for my fish tank?

S13

Wow!! He's plowing through 20 crickets a week? That is alot. I would probably cut it down to half that amount per week. Maybe 3 every other day.

Pandamanda111

Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't know that.

I figured that then he would have some to eat every day, he doesn't always find them right away. How often should we dust them? We dust about every 4th time he is fed.

Pandamanda111

You know, it might actually be water. Not positive though.

S13

It's okay I didn't mean to come across as angry lol. I was surprised! Yeah I would cut it down to 3-4 every other day with every other feeding being dusted with calcium and a milti-vitamin once a week. As far as water goes, I buy the huge jugs of Ozarka spring water and use that for both my frogs' main water source, and they last me awhile. Thats with me using it for them, me drinking some every now and then, and the cat's water bowl.

Pandamanda111

I've never heard of Ozarka, what about Arrowhead or Pure by F&E? Fiji? Any other brand?

I think I'll post a few more pictures do we can make sure nothing else is up

S13

Fiji? that would be one pampered frog!!! lol. I'm sure Fiji would be fantastic!

This is what Ozarka looks like:

I just looked up Arrowhead and says "100% mountain spring water" seems legit.

Pandamanda111

I don't think we have Ozarka where I am.
    Okay, arrowhead sounds good!
    Thanks for your help!
    I'm going to post a couple of pictures so we can be sure that everything else is all good

S13

Ok, if I cant see them its because I'm at work and they block some image hosting sites I'll be sure to jump on at home and give it a looksie

Pandamanda111

Ollie's belly ^

Just hanging out ^

Frogbutt ^

Pandamanda111

Great! Thanks a ton for your help!

S13

Oh yeah, photobucket D: one of the blocked sites at work -___- lol. Anyway, hope your little buddy starts looking better. As long as he's eating/pooping you should really have nothing to worry about. Just address the enclosure size, water source, and put him on a diet and you'll be fine.

Pandamanda111

No worries
    Thanks a ton!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information