Thread: One of my frogs is .... barking?

InfinitysDaughter

Default One of my frogs is .... barking?

I have a whites and an american green and I'm 99.9% sure there both girls (both have pure white bellies). But early this morning I heard this....barking is the only way to describe it. Like the bark of an ankle bitter dog yaknow? Like a yipping almost. At first I thought it was a squirrel outside my window and thought nothing of it. But I just heard it again and I know it came from the vicinity of the two tanks but when I got up to look it stopped so I dont know which tank it came from. Even stranger, the two are usually fast asleep by this time of day. @.@

I tried playing both green and white calls but couldn't entice them to make the sound again.

Anyone have any insight? Maybe know which one is making the noise? Cuse it dosn't sound like the calls I've found on youtube so I cant really tell which one it is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: One of my frogs is .... barking?

I am not sure what a greens call sounds like but when my Whites male starts to croak he sounds like a dog barking, which then entices the dog to start growling at the tank. He is a rather vocal fella. His throat was white when he first started calling but now a few months later his throat is a dark brown color. Hope that helps.

Kristen

Yeah I think it might be your Whites too
    Mine kind of sound a bit dog-like too, my cats get so confused about it haha.

InfinitysDaughter

Awwww. I was sorta happy to think I had a girl whites. Oh well. At least, technically, Azriel is a male name. >w>

Thanks for the input! <3

kevinp

never had a whites, but my american greens sound like...wok WOK WOK wok WOK wok wok..more like a goose than a dog.

rcollege

My bet goes on the American Green. I thought there was an angry squirrel outside...it was my American Green. Their pitch may change with each call...now they are a little higher than before...sometimes a yapping dog, other times a goose going through peuberty. So congratulations on making a frog happy enough to call
    Try misting the tank...they often call right after misting...or in my case during fogging. Also look at their throats right after calling...the one with the inflated or semi inflated throat will be the one that was calling.
    I have 2 American Green tree frogs...I thought one was a male and another a female until both were calling.
    The gray I have has a whole different sound.

kevinp

my males pitch gets higher as he runs out of gas its pretty funny. i only just saw which one was calling when i was in their viv messing around. suprised me cuz he always stopped when i went around.

InfinitysDaughter

Ok. So I think it isn't Azy. I was hearing it all morning so I sorta made her come out but her throat wasn't inflated looking at all. But when I dug Percy out of "her" hideout HIS throat was semi inflated. So instead of a Percephone I have a Percyus like I wanted in the first place. X3

And this time it DID sound more like a goose or a duck. Which sorta sucks cuse I have a rational-irrational fear of geese (a few years ago I was attacked by one at school). It would explain the nightmare I had about geese a few days ago, though. If I was partially awake enough to hear it it might have triggered the memory. But I still love my baby even if he sounds like an evil little monster.

Kristen

Hahahahha I have never heard of someone to be afraid of geese. I hope Percy helps you overcome your fear ! ;D

11. This member thanks Kristen for this post:

Congratulations on having a boy then?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Hahahahha I have never heard of someone to be afraid of geese. I hope Percy helps you overcome your fear ! ;D
    Geese are nasty. Never get anywhere near the young of a Canada Goose, the adults will charge you, hissing and snapping. I've heard multiple accounts of them getting in altercations with foxes, raccoons, or other nest bandits with the end result being a dead fox or raccoon or whatever. Geese tend to win against most critters that aren't carrying a loaded gun.

rcollege

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Geese are nasty. Never get anywhere near the young of a Canada Goose, the adults will charge you, hissing and snapping. I've heard multiple accounts of them getting in altercations with foxes, raccoons, or other nest bandits with the end result being a dead fox or raccoon or whatever. Geese tend to win against most critters that aren't carrying a loaded gun.
    As fond as I am of waterfowl, I must confess that I often had thoughts that geese are an unholy mixture between cranes, ducks and ogres...with a smidgen of goat.

So, is Percyus the Green tree frog? Sorry if I missed the information earlier.

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by rcollege View Post
    As fond as I am of waterfowl, I must confess that I often had thoughts that geese are an unholy mixture between cranes, ducks and ogres...with a smidgen of goat.

So, is Percyus the Green tree frog? Sorry if I missed the information earlier.
    Oh My Gawd! I love your description of geese!!!! Thats hysterical!

Ya. Percy is the green. I misspelled it before. Its Perseus. But yup. The little green bugger sounds like one of those devil creatures. XD

And Brian is so right. What happened to me was I was talking from my dorm to the little store to get some caffeine (was up studying for spring finals) and it was almost out of no where this HUGE thing came right at my head. Its wing span was wider then my arms stretched out and it was MAD. I turned sideways and he bit THREW my jeans and into the skin, even drew blood! I ran screaming as fast as I could to get away and it flew after me for a few yards until I got to the main road. I found out the next day I wasn't the only one to run into him, he'd terrorized the area all year. He was apparently protecting a nest of eggs that wouldn't hatch but since he didn't understand that they wouldn't hatch he was still going to protect it.

Since then I've been scared to DEATH of them. I use to love geese, thought they were beautiful and elegant. But not now. I stay as FAR away from them as possible.

rcollege

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    Since then I've been scared to DEATH of them. I use to love geese, thought they were beautiful and elegant. But not now. I stay as FAR away from them as possible.
    At winery I know has a pond with signs posted "Beware. Nesting Swan" Swans are bigger and I've heard just as territorial if not more so than geese. Major injury could come from one of those beauties...sigh...why is beauty so d--n dangerous...but then I look at the fish and herps around me...then I feel better.

On a funnier note...one of my longtail lizards was sprawled out asleep on a branch. A cricket made its way next to her tail...quite peaceful then Whoomph! I saw the longtail lizard jumping for its life to the next branch looking back wondering what the heck happened...only to see a very satisfied American Green Tree frog licking its chops where the cricket was.

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by rcollege View Post
    At winery I know has a pond with signs posted "Beware. Nesting Swan" Swans are bigger and I've heard just as territorial if not more so than geese. Major injury could come from one of those beauties...sigh...why is beauty so d--n dangerous...but then I look at the fish and herps around me...then I feel better.

On a funnier note...one of my longtail lizards was sprawled out asleep on a branch. A cricket made its way next to her tail...quite peaceful then Whoomph! I saw the longtail lizard jumping for its life to the next branch looking back wondering what the heck happened...only to see a very satisfied American Green Tree frog licking its chops where the cricket was.
    There is a small zoo near me who has a group of migrating birds that dont leave because they've been hurt or there mates are hurt so they stay with them. One of them is this HUGE swan. My brother and I had taken his kids to the zoo one day a year or so ago and saw the swan and thought it was a statue until it moved its head to turn and look at us. It was laying down but its back probably came up to my knees and with its head stretched up high it was probably as tall as I am (almost 6 foot). Scared the **** out of me but the workers said that, while he use to be very nasty when his mate was alive and nesting, since her death hes actually very docile and sweet. He cant leave because he cant lift himself off the ground cuse hes so big. XD

Hahahaha! Thats funny as hell! Percy use to get in trouble with Hell when he would jump at a cricket near her. She'd turn around and smack him with her front feet like a mother punishing her child. XD I think Green's are little trouble makers in general. X3

Thread Information