Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filled with air?

Pandamanda111

Default Re: Filled with air?

Okay, so to be honest, I just guessed how big Ollie's terrarium is. I honestly don't know!
    It's by exo-terra, and it measures 11.5x11.5x11.5. Any idea how big that is? Is that around 5 gallons? Sorry!

Edit- wait, I just looked it up. It's 7.5 gallons. In the next 6 months, I will be upgrading my aquarium. My current one is 25 gallons, and pretty tall. Can he wait 6 months for that one, or is it necessary to get a new terrarium right now?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NatureLady

tank size is LxWxH divided by 231

So your tank is 6.5 gallons

I would keep your eyes open for a cheap/free 10 gallon to hold you over until the 25 gallon tank is free. I have found them all over the place for very cheap and you can buy a new one at Wal-Mart for like 13$.

Find this 10 gallon Basic Aquarium for your fish at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

Turn the 10 gallon on it's end and then you have the vertical space that would be just fine.

Pandamanda111

I'll go to petsmart and see what terrariums they have. Since Ollie doesn't really climb, should I get one thats longer than it is wide? I'm also going to get him a bigger cave, he loves that thing! Silly boy. Do I need substrate, or can it go without? I'm not sure if I can order that stuff or not. Maybe they have it at petsmart...?

Pandamanda111

Does anyone know? Because he really doesn't go on the walls. He always sleeps in his beloved cave. You sure a tall terrarium would be best?

NatureLady

I am sure he only sleeps in his cave. He is nocturnal so he probably explores while you are asleep.

Think of his native habitat...wide open tall trees to explore far from the forest floor.

Look up pictures of his native forests for inspiration.

Pandamanda111

Of course, I totally understand. I'm not trying to question your knowledge or anything, but is it possible that this particular frog likes to be on the ground? He is always either in or on top of his cave. I've never seen him climbing his branch.
    But I'll get the tallest terrarium I can find

Today I want to pick up after him, and I didn't see any poop! But he has been eating...? Am I just not finding it? He has coconut husk substrate. Maybe it was just hard to see? I took out a few things that may have been it, but I couldn't tell for sure. Maybe he poops in his water bowl? He gets it pretty gross.

Ps- how often can I hold him? I love holding him, but I know that he doesn't enjoy it like I do

NatureLady

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamanda111 View Post
    Of course, I totally understand. I'm not trying to question your knowledge or anything, but is it possible that this particular frog likes to be on the ground? He is always either in or on top of his cave. I've never seen him climbing his branch.
    But I'll get the tallest terrarium I can find
    Don't worry. I don't offend easily and I didn't take it that way anyways!
    I understand from posts past that you are school age? (You meantioned that your parents wouldn't let you..) Being a "herper" takes time, practice, and most of all...you have to keep learning and changing to keep up with the field!

As far as the tank height goes, let me use an example that I use here at work. Your habitat is rather large compaired to most small animals...your home, school, cars, families homes, friends homes, grocery stores, etc. If I where to say that since you spend the majority of your time in location A (maybe school or your bedroom) that from now on location A is the only place that you can stay. You must find all needed items in that space (food, water, shelter, enough space to be happy, and everything that you need for the rest of your life properly arranged so that you could live)...would you be the happiest person you know? Quality of life is my thoughts when keeping pets!

Today I want to pick up after him, and I didn't see any poop! But he has been eating...? Am I just not finding it? He has coconut husk substrate. Maybe it was just hard to see? I took out a few things that may have been it, but I couldn't tell for sure. Maybe he poops in his water bowl? He gets it pretty gross.
    The coco fiber DOES make it harder to see poop! Mine likes to poop on his plants...yay for me! If he poops in his water it will look like a peice of poop in the water. What I mean is that it takes time to not look like poop.

Ps- how often can I hold him? I love holding him, but I know that he doesn't enjoy it like I do
    I don't know that I have a good answer for you on this one. I don't hold mine very often, mostly because I have small kids (under 5) who like to be like Mommy...so for the frogs sake we have a look but don't touch policy while the kids are awake. I clean up and all of that stuff after they go to bed.

Pandamanda111

Okay! Thank you. I'll try to get him a new one soon.

His water is really gross dark brown in the morning, so I always assumed he pooped in there!

InfinitysDaughter

It is possible hes pooping in the water dish. If he poops in the early night hours and it sits there several hours then he disturbs the water then it'll break up and look like dirt. My Azy poops in her dish sometimes. I should take pics of it one morning. She dosn't always poop in there but often times she does. If yours is the bowl will look like its caked with substraight at the bottom, maybe mostly pushed to one side. If you have to rinse the dish to get it all out its probable that hes pooing in there. Especially since hes in such a small space he might be going in the one place he knows will get cleaned up every day (they dont like laying in there poo anymore then we would).

And whites would prefer to be up when there awake. Azy likes to sleep in her hollow log on the bottom of the tank but when she comes out at night shes almost always up in the branches rather then on the floor. If you have up space they will use it. Since your babe hasn't had a lot of up space you might need entice him to at first but eventually he'll get the idea and he'll probably burn off a lot of his excess weight too.

As for holding, I let Az sit on my shoulder and chest a lot. She'll sit and sleep on me while I watch TV or read. Shes not too thrilled if I "play" with her, like move her around a lot or something but she loves to just sit on mommy and sleep. Whites have a coating to there skin that resists the oils in our skin that other tree frogs dont have so they take better to being held then other frogs do but as for actually LIKING being held that would be a frog to frog thing. Percy, my green, would rather hop off into the room and hide then sit in my hands and my gray, Hellen, loved to sit on me like Azy. Other people say there frogs dont like to be touched at all and they dont unless absolutely necessary. If yours settles into a relaxed position or falls asleep then you know he is content with being held.

And lastly! I take apart my tanks once a month (roughly) and rinse them with declorinated water or very very hot water if there has been a problem (I put boiling water into the smaller when my gray died to be sure there wasn't anything in there to kill my green and I did the same recently when I had a bad mold problem in Azy's tank) and I put all the decorations (mostly fake plants and things) and water dishes into a large tub and fill it with as hot of water I can get out of the tap and let it sit, occasionally disturbing the water to get the dirt and things off. I just started using live plants so I'm really not sure if things will change. I have my plants in small containers, though, not planted directly in the soil. If there directly planted then it would be very bad for them to be uprooted once a month.

Pandamanda111

Cool! Thanks!
    ollie falls asleep on me all the time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information