Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Frog Owner C:

Lemcneill

Talking First Time Frog Owner C:

Hello! Well, we found this little lady in our spare bathroom about a week and a half ago and let her back outside. Then three days ago, there she was again! So we decided to keep her. She's a Gray Tree Frog and about 2 inches long. Maybe I should find a better name than Pete since I originally thought she was a he xD Here's a picture!

Name:  457547_2971872818045_1298490503_32251544_120873505_o.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  63.8 KB

Any name suggestions?

2. This member thanks Lemcneill for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lemcneill

Default Re: First Time Frog Owner C:

Here's a picture of the enclosure, which is in a 20"x10"x12" 10 gallon tank I had:

Name:  467176_2958085673375_1298490503_32245654_591749487_o.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  72.4 KB

She just ate 5 small crickets. Is that enough? Does anyone have any tips? I wanna take good care of her C:

Also, for names, I'm kind of particular with pet names. Some examples of pet names I've used in the past are: Walter (corn snake), Ichabod (bearded dragon), Artemis (kitty cat). I was thinking maybe Abigail...

S13

I have always absolutely loved the name Abigail. If I ever have a daughter, that will be her name lol! Congrats on your new little pal! I'm sure 5 crickets should hold her off for a few days. Familiarize yourself with this http://www.frogforum.net/content/gra...-breeding-120/ and you should be fine.

Lemcneill

Thank you! I think I will go with Abigail. And thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it xD I'm always so nervous about doing something wrong and I don't wanna mess this up! Looking through the internet and this forum has gotten me a little more excited for this, and I'm hoping to eventually get some more frogs and lizards C: And I'm glad she ended up being an easy frog to start off with.

S13

You definitely have found the right place. This place is full of very useful information and friendly people willing to help. Yes, Grey's are a very hardy species from what I gather. I don't have any experience with them but I would love to keep some in the future. Touching alittle on your comment about getting more critters, generally it is not wise to mix species in one enclosure. Different frogs release different toxins that can be harmful to one another, so keep that in mind. Enjoy.

Lemcneill

Thank you very much for the advice!

Lemcneill

Here are a few more pictures since the uploader for the albums doesn't seem to be working:

Name:  IMAG0545.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMAG0544.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  83.3 KBName:  IMAG0542.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  74.0 KBName:  IMAG0541.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  92.2 KBName:  IMAG0540.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  59.9 KBName:  IMAG0539.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  49.9 KBName:  IMAG0538.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  57.1 KB

Fae

Aww so cute! Congrats!

S13

Cutie pie, I want a Grey now D: lol

InfinitysDaughter

Greys are awesome! I love my little Green and my Whites but my heart is with my lost Grey. Its really hard to do anything that would affect these guys too badly. Helly survived constant surveillance from my cat and even having her tank shoved off the table it was on (by said cat)! I'll be bad and say I did constantly handle her, probably averaging once a day, and she would just sit on me and watch tv or sleep or crawl around and try to make a rats nest in my hair. They are a very hardy breed and the perfect first timmer frog.

What ended her life, though, was an unfortunate encounter with a Japaneese Ladybeetle. Since your so close to me I bet you have a problem with these things too right? They look like lady bugs but are larger, orange, bite, and are really REALLY toxic. Helly ate one and died within 12 hours. Be very cautious and with summer starting check her enclosure often for these little monsters.

The tank you set up looks so awesome! Paradise for her! Just be careful with the moss. If she gets a big mouth full while eating it can cause impaction which is deadly.

Lemcneill

Thanks! She is so cute and easy so far. That's so sad about your Gray though :c I'm gonna feed her mostly crickets, maybe a couple types of worms. I probably won't give her any wild insects. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them though just in case!

My cat has just started to notice her now and will lay on top of her tank and stare at her since her favorite spot is right in the very top corner.

Thanks for the advice on the moss. Right now, I've been feeding her in a separate container to make sure she's eating since she's wild caught.

LizardMama

Gray Tree Frogs are great frogs to keep, easy and hardy. I just recently found one and he's got so much character already.

Lemcneill

She hasn't shown too much personality yet, but it's only been 3 days so we'll see in a couple days c:

She likes her vine and she will hide in her little log sometimes. I wish I could watch her at night.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I raised several tads last year and kept 2 out of the 50. They are hardy little creatures and each one has it's own personality. They love red runner roaches, silkworms, and occasionally I feed crickets. I don't like to feed anything with crunchy coatings, I always fear impaction or prolapse. Your set up looks good and best of luck with your new found friend.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

pansie

so cute!

luckily, my kitty doesn't seem interested in frogs! The poor fish get watched tho!!

Abigail was one of our final name choices for our daughter, and will be a frontrunner for the next, since we didn't choose it the first time! =)

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Lemcneill View Post
    Thanks! She is so cute and easy so far. That's so sad about your Gray though :c I'm gonna feed her mostly crickets, maybe a couple types of worms. I probably won't give her any wild insects. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them though just in case!

My cat has just started to notice her now and will lay on top of her tank and stare at her since her favorite spot is right in the very top corner.

Thanks for the advice on the moss. Right now, I've been feeding her in a separate container to make sure she's eating since she's wild caught.
    Oh I didn't feed it to her, though I had thought about it considering there abundance. But when I found out how toxic they were I knew not to. But one got into her tank while I was at work and she, being the bottomless pit she was, ate it. Grays will eat anything that will fit in there mouths. I think there color blind cuse you'd think "its bright orange you dingbat! that means bad in nature!" but that didn't stop her. >.<

The bugs are attracted to frog tanks once they get inside the house especially if you prefer to keep your house cool in the summer. Its warm and moist, perfect habitat for them. Just keep an eye around the light (if your using an overhead light) or if you use a UTH (under tank heater) check around the outside bottom of the tank where its warm and if you start seeing them, get rid of them as soon as you see them. Dont give them a chance to get inside the tank.

And dont worry about the cat watchin them. They get use to the attention. Helly even made a habit of enticing Sparta (the cat). She was usually not active durring the day unless he was near. Then she hopped around wildly while he watched and occasionally batted at the glass. As long as its not too close to the side of a table (like I had it >.< ) then the fuzzy attention isn't a major detriment. Hell would eventually settle down for a really good sleep after tormenting the cat and he would curl around her tank with his head on his paws like he was protecting her. It was so adorable!

Lemcneill

I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, then. I haven't seen any yet so far though, even outside.

I haven't been worrying about my kitty. She's not really tried much, just stares xD Also, I have a question. How often do they poop?

InfinitysDaughter

Depends on how much they eat. My Helly exclusively pooped in the water dish so you should keep an eye on that and dump the water probably once a day. If she eats every day then she'll probably poo every day.

Lemcneill

I was just worried that since I got her from the wild that she might have issues, but everything seems perfectly fine so far. Everything seems normal so far. I'll post more pictures later.

InfinitysDaughter

While I dont condone taking frogs from the wild I know that Grays are very abundant in our area (I like in Illinois). In fact there pretty abundant in most area's of the US. But wild Grays seem to be very healthy creatures. I've heard many people take in wild grays and have no problems with parasites or the like. I even had mine sharing a tank with a captive bred green and Percy (the green) never had any problems (well, not after Helly got over "throwing her weight around" X3 ).

Since you have a wonderfully set up tank and you here in case something does go wrong then I would say you could enjoy your little Abby for a very very long time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information