Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Water: Distilled vs purified vs everything else

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Water: Distilled vs purified vs everything else

for reg tap water aqua safe for reptiles and amphibians had on their website to add 8-10 drops for 1 gallon of water. for all you guys out there I have the 3.88oz bottle one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogNoobie659

I asked a amphibian expert the same thing, he said that distilled water is the best choice. It has good stuff in it for the toads. I forgot exactly what he said so I just put "good stuff"

sesga

Quote Originally Posted by kevinkyang View Post
    umm, would fresh river water do the trick? i live considerably close to the delta and have access to it. its a little murky, but i thought since its a river it must be clean and closest to its natural habitat, no?
    What about Rain water ,we have plenty of this in Wales ?

sesga

Quote Originally Posted by sesga View Post
    What about Rain water ,we have plenty of this in Wales ?
    Just read rain water is not sutable xx

kurper

According to this vet, "Be sure to not use distilled water, which is devoid of minerals and salts, and is dangerous to the osmoregulation of frogs and toads. Other types of acceptable bottled water include filtered water or deionized water that has had minerals replaced. Read the labels on bottled waters carefully to ensure that you get one with minerals and salts added (or not removed in the first place)." American Toad Care and Husbandry (Bufo americanus)

pacman90

question on the water topic...when bathing my pacman, and cleaning his tank what water do i use? or HOW to do it, i know you need spring water, dechlorinated water, etc. but i just dont have that many gallons of spring water lol i use spring water for all my Pacmans needs but bathing and cleaning the tank (washing it out) i dont know about? should i rinse the tub, bin, (whatever it is bathing in) with the spring water then pour or sprinkle the water on him? and washing the tank should i just use bath water with soap, make sure all the soap is out, then rinse it again with the spring water to kinda neautralize/washout the tub water? i just dont know how to go about that, i need to know about the tank because i have an old tank that needs to be cleaned to put him, but i dont wanna wash it the way i have posted previously and have the left over tap water chems. hurt my frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello Pacman90,
    Sharing. This is what I do...I use about 1 gallon of de-chol H20 every other day.
    Purchase ( for the last Time) 5 or 6 gallon jugs of spring water.
    When the container is empty , save it.
    Purchase your favorite De-chlorinator. ( I use Aquatize- exo terra product ) I like the nice dropper/cap it has.
    Then simply refill the gallon jugs. Aquitize instruction says 8 qtts /gallon will de-chlorinate the gallon immediately!
    As well, I take the extra step to refill at a sink that has a Brita faucet filter on in.

My enclosures are in my basement ...I leave them there w/out the cap on.

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  61.0 KB Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  55.4 KB Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  58.8 KB

De-chlorinated ONLY for soaking.
    Distilled for cleaning the glass. Never use soaps of any kind. I use a micro fiber wash cloth soaked in distilled water.
    Distilled in a auto mister.
    I use a mister ( on a timer) occasionally ( in the evening) l may mist the plants w/ de-chlorinated.

I have never owned a Pac; but.......I don't think it's a good idea to sprinkling any water on him.
    You could ask GritTheGreat about specific "bathing" questions. They are really not "bathing" ( to get clean) but re-hydrating.

Care Article:
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/pac...-breeding-170/

Easy !
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

pacman90

thanx for the info, and by sprinkling the water i meant by just misting, or stickin my thumb in the spray bottle's neck and lightly pour a little on him to hydrate him wen he starts looking a little dry

pacman90

another thing about the dechlorinator, can you use regualer fish tank conditioner? the "removes chlorine, detoxifies/neautralizes/removes chloramins, and detoxifies toxic metals" kind, i bought some since it was the only kind i could find at petsmart -.- i havent used any of the dechlor'd water yet, i still have spring water gallons, but i do have 2gallons made of dechlor'd water. i just need to know if the fish stuff is safe for them too or does it HAVE to be repti related products?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pacman90 View Post
    another thing about the dechlorinator, can you use regualer fish tank conditioner? the "removes chlorine, detoxifies/neautralizes/removes chloramins, and detoxifies toxic metals" kind, i bought some since it was the only kind i could find at petsmart -.- i havent used any of the dechlor'd water yet, i still have spring water gallons, but i do have 2gallons made of dechlor'd water. i just need to know if the fish stuff is safe for them too or does it HAVE to be repti related products?
    I have raised Discus for many years. One of my oler gals is 9 years old! I use Stress Coat w/ water conditioner .............a "fancy"
    product ( w/ additives ) for the aquarium with large filters running 24/7. ( a key point !) It sounds as though you might have purchased this type of product. Which could be a simple de-chlorinator PLUS water conditioner. Read the label carefully as water conditioners should not be used for frogs.

Here is how I understand it .........in my pea brain:

1)
    In the fish tank
    ----------De-chlorinators fall into the general category of 'water conditioners'. ( confusing - right ?) In-other-words, de-chlorinator for a fish tank is often a water conditioner as well. And, to make it even more confusing --------not all water conditioners are de-chlorinators! So be careful.
    So, if you are using a 'water conditioned ( w/out de-chlorinator ) ------then you are not de-chlorinating the water ( or the frog water) at all!
    Hear me out !

Why use de-chlorinator?
    Most (if not all) municipal water supplies are treated with chlorine, chloramine, or both. Often holding tanks for wells in rural communities also similarly treated. These chemicals are necessary to kill off any harmful bacteria or other pathogens which get into the water. The dosages of these chemicals in the water supply are "low enough as to mot harm us'". Ha Ha That's another whole ball of wax! These chemicals ARE high enough to cause damage to a biological filter , such as one in a fish tank. This damage will allow ammonia to start to build up in the tank, eventually becoming harmful to your fish. For this reason it is important that you treat your water to remove chlorine with an appropriate dechlorinator before you add water to your fish tank. BUT many of these products ( as mentioned have) water conditioners as well.

2)
    For our frogs

Hence the answer to you question.
    As mentioned aboe: One common problem that occurs with some of the "fancier" de-chlorinators ( like used in fish tanks) is that they can leave a buildup of 'bad stuff ' that can be harmful to a frog over time. This is a concern in small tanks or bowls where the product has been repeatedly or in situations without filtration ( i.e. a waterfall) . Therefore, the issues with some of the "fancier" de-chlorinators used in tanks with reptiles or amphibians is this build-up these of chemicals left behind. So , I use "Aquitize" ------- a regular de-chlorinator without unnecessary additives, specifically formulated for amphibians for water with out filtration !

Sorry to blab! I guess I have could have simply repeated the suggestion to use an amphibians safe product.
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

pacman90

ok thanx for the info before i actually sprayed the treated water in my Pacman's tank, the stuff i bought quote on quote "Aqueon, Water Conditioner, makes tap water safe for fish. *bullet* instantly neutralizes chlorine and chloramines in tap water, *bullet* aids in restoring a fish's natural slime coat" so i bought the wrong stuff :/ BUT like i said atleast i asked before actually spraying it into his tank, it just sucks cuz thats all i could find for water treament they didnt sell stuff for amph./retpiles, seems like ima have to order some

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    I have raised Discus for many years. One of my oler gals is 9 years old! I use Stress Coat w/ water conditioner .............a "fancy"
    product ( w/ additives ) for the aquarium with large filters running 24/7. ( a key point !) It sounds as though you might have purchased this type of product. Which could be a simple de-chlorinator PLUS water conditioner. Read the label carefully as water conditioners should not be used for frogs.

Here is how I understand it .........in my pea brain:

1)
    In the fish tank
    ----------De-chlorinators fall into the general category of 'water conditioners'. ( confusing - right ?) In-other-words, de-chlorinator for a fish tank is often a water conditioner as well. And, to make it even more confusing --------not all water conditioners are de-chlorinators! So be careful.
    So, if you are using a 'water conditioned ( w/out de-chlorinator ) ------then you are not de-chlorinating the water ( or the frog water) at all!
    Hear me out !

Why use de-chlorinator?
    Most (if not all) municipal water supplies are treated with chlorine, chloramine, or both. Often holding tanks for wells in rural communities also similarly treated. These chemicals are necessary to kill off any harmful bacteria or other pathogens which get into the water. The dosages of these chemicals in the water supply are "low enough as to mot harm us'". Ha Ha That's another whole ball of wax! These chemicals ARE high enough to cause damage to a biological filter , such as one in a fish tank. This damage will allow ammonia to start to build up in the tank, eventually becoming harmful to your fish. For this reason it is important that you treat your water to remove chlorine with an appropriate dechlorinator before you add water to your fish tank. BUT many of these products ( as mentioned have) water conditioners as well.

2)
    For our frogs

Hence the answer to you question.
    As mentioned aboe: One common problem that occurs with some of the "fancier" de-chlorinators ( like used in fish tanks) is that they can leave a buildup of 'bad stuff ' that can be harmful to a frog over time. This is a concern in small tanks or bowls where the product has been repeatedly or in situations without filtration ( i.e. a waterfall) . Therefore, the issues with some of the "fancier" de-chlorinators used in tanks with reptiles or amphibians is this build-up these of chemicals left behind. So , I use "Aquitize" ------- a regular de-chlorinator without unnecessary additives, specifically formulated for amphibians for water with out filtration !

Sorry to blab! I guess I have could have simply repeated the suggestion to use an amphibians safe product.
    Lynn
    Hi Lynn,
    As usual, great information!
    I use Stress Coat currently for my frog's water, it was on sale...
    You're saying that is not a good choice? I thought I read that heather uses it also?
    Thanks!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Hi Lynn,
    You're saying that is not a good choice? I thought I read that heather uses it also?
    Thanks!

Hi Bolisnide,
    I use "Aquitize"------- a regular de-chlorinator without unnecessary additives, specifically formulated for amphibians for water with out filtration "
    This takes a lot of digging; especially since the stress coat product line has (past year) made some "formula changes" . Enough to drive you nuts !!!
    Even for my fish tank , I have stuck with their older formula " Tap Water Conditioner ( aquarium dechlorinator) "
    Perhaps this is what Heath is using? There are a few stress coat product choices?

My recommendation would be to use a product that specifically claims to be frog safe such as Aquatize.
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Hi Lynn,
    Thanks!

Hi Bolisnide,
    "I use "Aquitize"------- a regular de-chlorinator without unnecessary additives, specifically formulated for amphibians for water with out filtration "
    This takes a lot of digging; especially since the stress coat product line has (past year) made some "formula changes" . Enough to drive you nuts !!!
    Even for my fish tank , I have stuck with their older formula " Tap Water Conditioner ( aquarium dechlorinator) "
    Perhaps this is what Heath is using? There are a few stress coat product choices?

My recommendation would be to use a product that specifically claims to be frog safe such as Aquatize.
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

16. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi Bolisnide,
    "I use "Aquitize"------- a regular de-chlorinator without unnecessary additives, specifically formulated for amphibians for water with out filtration "

Lynn
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm thinking you may be right, though I change my frog's water dish daily, I've noticed a slimy film at the bottom of the bowl which surely must be from the other ingredients of the Slime Coat (contains aloe vera).
    So, I'm switching back to the other stuff today....
    I thought all de-chlorinators were the same, but I guess not. I can imagine the additional ingredients would also build up on the rest of the enclosure from misting...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Lynn, i am curious. what additives are in the Aquitize to make it safe for water without filtration? is nitrosomer bacteria added in?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

With all my frog issues I'm changing my water source. I collect rain water and have been using this for 2 years with no issues, but now w/sickly frogs I'm switching over. Lynn on post #90 you said “water conditioners” should not be used on frogs. This products Zoo Med ReptiSafe Instant Terrarium Water Conditioner - 8.75 oz is called a water conditioner but claims to be okay for amphibians. So would this be more geared to newts and salamanders, not frogs?
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

guilletto

But if frogs drink from the rain drops, distilled water is not good . Am i Wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Distilled water is good for misting because it leaves no mineral deposits on the sides of an enclosure. However, thats all its good for. It should not be used for your frog's main water source. Its just to clean.

I can only guess that purified water is just filtered water. Not 100% sure, its just a guess. Dechlorinated tap water is just fine.

paul3col

I'm using mineral water and he seems ok but spring would be a the ideal choice.

Nationality
    [United States]

See some confusion here on thread due to all the commercial names on human's bottled water and de-chlorinators/conditioners so will try to resume. Please be aware that water names might mean different things across nation lines.

Water

Tap - de-clorinate and use for bath water or water section. Chloramines (present treatment at water plants) are more stable and will not leave water by aerating for 48 hours like with plain chlorine!

Boiled Tap - same as tap with little to no oxygen. Still need to de-chlorinate.

Filtered (bottled or home filter) - depends on filter medium (some are carbon based others are mineral based). Similar to tap and should be de-chlorinate the same way. Some minerals might be removed by filtration.

Mineral - water filtered by mineral medium (see filtered).

Distilled - use only for spraying enclosure (leaves no spots on glass). Do not use for frog bath!

Reverse Osmosis (RO) - leave this for saltwater tanks, do not use on frogs bath!

De-ionized water - de-mineralized water, do not use on frogs bath!

Other processes like micro-filtration, ultraviolet oxidation, electrodialysis, etc.; do not use on frogs!

Water Treatments

De-chlorinators remove chlorine and not more. Conditioners can add capability to remove heavy metals and even Nitrates from water. Some conditioners have chemical additives to interact with a fish slime coat. Recommend stay with de-chorinators or conditioners that do not add anything to your frog bath.

I've used Seachem's Prime in the past and now use Seachem's Vitro (saltwater line) "Alpha" because it's more concentrated and cheaper in the long run (also removes Ammonia and detoxifies Nitrites & Nitrate from tap which are present at my location). Any product labeled as safe for frogs is probably good!

There are new products in market labeled as all natural de-chlorinators based in vitamin C . I bought one online (SuperBac All Natural Dechlorinator) and tried it with my fish. The cichlids were very stressed after a normal 25% water change. Did some analysis and the product was removing chlorine, but something was not right and I do not mess around with my pets. Contacted manufacturer by email and described my experience; but the lab technicians never answered. So I dumped the whole 16 ounces down the toilet. After my experience can't recommend those vitamin C based products. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information