Thread: Ruby the RETF needs your help ASAP

Ruby

Default Ruby the RETF needs your help ASAP

Hello all,

i have been the proud owner of 3 RETFs for the past few months, 2 males and female, all about 8-12 months old. They were all initially doing great, each of them fat, green, happy, and eating well. About 2 weeks ago I noticed Ruby, the female, not eating and acting rather lethargic. At this point I decided to separate Ruby from the boys and put her into a quarantine tank, hoping she would start eating again (she had started getting a bit too skinny). Unfortunately this did not seem to help, she continued to get worse. I started soaking her in a 1:10 pedialyte/water solution daily, which seemed to help a bit, but it still did not fix the issue. Last friday, April 6th, I tracked down an exotic vet in my area and took her in. At this point she had a darker green color, with various small, light green spots on her skin (no sign of red leg tho). The vet diagnosed her with a bacterial dermatitis, and prescribed her baytril. The specific vet instructions are the following:

.01 cc baytril orally daily (for 10 days)
    chicken/turkey baby food mixed with a drop of pedialyte, administered orally every day
    warm tap water soaks daily for 30 min (with pedialyte)
    raise temp and humidity; she told me to keep the temp around 90 (normal temp ranges around 78), and humidity as high as possible (mine is normally around 60-75%, she suggested 90% if possible)

Well, at first Ruby appeared to be doing better, and I was feeling so relieved (I saved her!), but that's no longer the case. Between last night and today she really seems to be taking a turn for the worse, shes soooo weak, and I'm starting to question the vets instructions: first of all, isn't it HORRIBLY stressful to be orally administering food/meds to her? That's 2x a day I have to take her out and work her little mouth open! Can't I simply put some baytril in with the water when I soak her? Secondly, should I really have the humidity that high? Doesn't that make a bacterial infection worse? And why tap water? The vet said it would help draw out the infection from her body, is this true?

I called the vet again today for help, and unfortunately the vet isn't in until this thursday, but they were kind enough to call her for me and she instructed that I do pedialyte soaks 2x a day now, keep handfeeding with baby food, and to stop the baytril (because it might be stressing her out to much). I have a hard time believing that stopping the meds is going to do any good for her at this point....

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated, you guys know way more than I do regarding this sort of thing, and possibly more than my vet as well.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: Ruby the RETF needs your help ASAP

From what I have gathered in the past, yes high humidity makes bacterial infections worse, that tap water needs to be dechlorinated. Whenever I did pedialyte soaks it was once a week with 5 ounces of spring water to 1/2 ounce of pedialyte, and that pedialyte needs to be unflavored. Force feeding should be a means of last resort if they haven't eaten in a few weeks, if she's eating there shouldn't be a reason to force feed, I would think. Hopefully she pulls through, I'm sure more experienced keepers can chime in soon. Good luck.

Ruby

Unhappy Re: Ruby the RETF needs your help ASAP

My Ruby passed away this morning, I'm heartbroken... If anyone reads this thread and has any opinions on the treatment I was told to give, I'd appreciate the insight. Also, I still have baytril left; how long may I store it for? Fridge or room temp?

Thank you

RedHed

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose the little guys

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry to hear about your Ruby!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    My Ruby passed away this morning, I'm heartbroken... If anyone reads this thread and has any opinions on the treatment I was told to give, I'd appreciate the insight. Also, I still have baytril left; how long may I store it for? Fridge or room temp?

Thank you

Lauren ,
    I am so sorry . I'm sure you are heartbroken. You tried so hard.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"