Thread: How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it?

Default How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it?

How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it? It's been over 24 hours and my newly bought Asian greenback frog has barely moved an inch. I am growing a bit concerned. Any responses are appreciated thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

tankogradets

Default Re: How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it?

Took my White's Tree Frog a good 24 hrs, I think. He spent the first 12 hours sitting in one corner, another hour finding a corner he likes best (he now always sleeps there), and the next 12 hrs or so sleeping off the rest of the stress. Keep an eye on his color and terrarium temps/humidity. Looks like the Asian is nocturnal? Have you watched him at night? My White's (La Frog) comes down at night to hunt/enjoy the tub, etc, and then, by the time the morning rolls around he is back curled up in his corner. I have a night light for him which allows me to watch him at night.

Hope he perks up sooner rather than later.

Default Re: How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it?

Thanks so much. I actually got desperate and moved him a bit which was a HUGE mistake. He got startled and tried to jump out but he's settled down now. My current setting for him is as follows:
    10 gallon glass tank
    Heating pad on bottom
    Mulch/dirt and inch thick on the bottom
    Damp moss 3 inches high on 1/3 of the terrarium
    Two artificial plants and 4 sticks for climbing
    One water dish made of rock, filled to 3/4 of his height
    Basking light (on during day) which covers about half of tank
    I'm maintaining about 60-70% humidity currently, and always about 72 degrees
    Anything wrong here? Any suggestions? Thanks!

tankogradets

Post Re: How long did it take your frog to a just to his new home/terrarium after you first bought it?

:-)

I am very new to this frog business myself, but am enjoying my critter very much!

I don't have mulch for my frog, nor do I have a heating pad. See pictures below. But I don't think that matters much.

How large are the crickets you are going to feed him? Are they large enough that they will roam around the tank, or are they small enough that you keep them in a dish for him? If they are very small (for a small frog), then I found it is better to put them in a small dish where they can't get out of. The big ones (La Frog is good size ) I use roam around the tank until they get snapped up by La Frog. Have you watched your frog at night time?

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My terrarium set up looks pretty similar to yours except yours is a 10 gallon tall one, while mine is a 10 gallon wide one. As for the crickets, they are pretty big, probably around a half inch. My frog is most likely able to eat them but I am not sure yet because I haven't seen him try. I have been observing him at night, and I've noticed much more movement. I'm going to check in the morning and see if he ate any of the crickets. I put five in there, and they've been walking around him so he should be able to make his kill, and get some good lunch (:

tankogradets

Let me know how he does. Mine does not move throughout the day at all - all action happens at night!

Cheers,

Cronopio

It took mine about 3 days to really relax and settle in, so I don't think you need to be concerned yet.

Okay, thanks for ya'lls replies. I caught him in his water d
    ish soaking it up last night, so hopefully he's adjusted (:
    Thanks again everyone!

Thread Information