Thread: a way to clean top soil before using?

Shorte85

Question a way to clean top soil before using?

Hello everyone! I'm curious if anyone could help me out. I have a question about top soil dirt. I know its okay to use it as a layer, however I am curious if anyone knows a way to clean the dirt somehow before using it? I mean to make sure it is safe for your frog? I currently only have 1 red eyed tree frog. I just wanted to see if there were ways to clean the dirt.

I use the dirt on the bottom then medium sized wood chips on top to keep the frog from sticking and he's been happy with that.

Thanks...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: a way to clean top soil before using?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorte85 View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm curious if anyone could help me out. I have a question about top soil dirt. I know its okay to use it as a layer, however I am curious if anyone knows a way to clean the dirt somehow before using it? I mean to make sure it is safe for your frog? I currently only have 1 red eyed tree frog. I just wanted to see if there were ways to clean the dirt.

I use the dirt on the bottom then medium sized wood chips on top to keep the frog from sticking and he's been happy with that.

Thanks...

Cook it at 200 Celsius. If you're using the wood chips, try to feed the frog in the upper layers of your tank to avoid impaction.

Shorte85

Thanks for getting back with me. Wasn't sure if maybe I asked a silly question or not.

Thanks again!

Actually, why not just buy some eco earth or similar substrates? They have been used to great effect.

Shorte85

Well I was curious because my husband and I had bought two 40lb bags of top soil dirt and was going to use some of that if it was possible.

AReaHerps

Quote Originally Posted by frogged View Post
    Actually, why not just buy some eco earth or similar substrates? They have been used to great effect.
    I have to agree. Why waste time and effort? Just use something that is by all accounts, ready to use. I understand not wanting to be wasteful but I feel wasting time costs more!

Sent from my Android using the Tapatalk Forum App! It's awesome!

Shorte85

Quote Originally Posted by AReaHerps View Post
    I have to agree. Why waste time and effort? Just use something that is by all accounts, ready to use. I understand not wanting to be wasteful but I feel wasting time costs more!

Definitely understand where you both are coming from but I do not mind taking the time.

Thanks!

Happy Easter everyone!

InfinitysDaughter

Well, in Shorte's defense, I've heard from several sources that top soil is actually better then eco earth because it has enzymes that help break down the waist of tree frogs. And I think if the kind you have dosn't have fertilizer in it then it should be safe straight out. However if its fertilized (like merical grow or something) then its not safe for them because of the Styrofoam and fertilizer pellets.

Shorte85

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    Well, in Shorte's defense, I've heard from several sources that top soil is actually better then eco earth because it has enzymes that help break down the waist of tree frogs. And I think if the kind you have dosn't have fertilizer in it then it should be safe straight out. However if its fertilized (like merical grow or something) then its not safe for them because of the Styrofoam and fertilizer pellets.
    Thanks InfinitysDaughter, its just straight top soil with nothing but dirt.

I've also had problems when I got forest dirt from pet stores that I noticed there was these really tiny bugs in it. I'm not sure what.kind.of.bugs they were but I didn't have a good experience with eco dirt from pet stores so I wanted to try a different route.

Again thanks for the information everyone!

AReaHerps

If you're talking about Cypress mulch then those little bugs are springtails. Those are great for organic matter breakdown. I agree with soil having natural enzymes to break things down. I would be more on the side where starting from a neutral soil (coco coir, eco earth) and adding only what you want would be a good way to go about it. Not sure what you mean by not having good experiences with eco earth. It's basically as sterile and devoid of nutrition for plants to begin with.

greene

I almost always use to soil in my tanks and I have never had a problem with it

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

AReaHerps

Quote Originally Posted by greene View Post
    I almost always use to soil in my tanks and I have never had a problem with it

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Which kind specifically? I would like to add it to my safe list. Thanks

Thread Information