Thread: Using Paint on Backgrounds (To seal or not to seal?)

AReaHerps

Default Using Paint on Backgrounds (To seal or not to seal?)

I recently finished my GreatStuff background and painted it with an acrylic base coat (Behr's paint in a can). After it dried, I used some Artist's acrylic paint (tube paint)to add some detail work. Last night I added some eco-earth to certain areas of the background and to the edges. I let the background set inside the eco-earth over night to completely "soak" the eco-earth and let the silicone curing process start. When I picked up the background this morning, because of the moisture from the eco-earth, some of the paint rubbed off on my fingers. It was not a lot but there was a faint discoloration on my finger tips. If I let this cure/dry over the next couple of days, will I have to worry about it rubbing/running off when I get it in my tank? If I do need to worry, does any recommend a specific sealant I could use that would have a flat finish? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

J Teezy

Default Re: Using Paint on Backgrounds (To seal or not to seal?)

well, i've heard of some people who paint with acrylic that they didn't seal it, but for a moist humid environment like a viv, I'd suggest sealing. As far as finding a flat sealer that i would feel comfortable using, i haven't found one yet. There are two avenues you can go with sealing. Shields All is a good sealer for vivs and will hold up to moisture just apply about 4 coats of it giving ample dry time between coats. In the final layer of sealant some people sprinkle colored sand on it to break up the shiny appearance. If your background is going to be getting alot of water on it, you may consider final sealing with silicone and again you can sprinkle sand on it to break up the shiny appearance, but when you don't sprinkle sand on it the background will look wet due to the silicone look, which if you are misting your viv it will look just like it does when water is on it from misting.

AReaHerps

I need to find this Shield All. I can't find it. Do you have a link I could use to print a description for my local hardware store? Thanks

Sent from my Android using the Tapatalk Forum App! It's awesome!

J Teezy

Default Re: Using Paint on Backgrounds (To seal or not to seal?)

simple type into google will get you to it but here it is Waterproof Sealer Clear for wood,masonry,roofs,metal You can only buy it straight from the manufacturer. It runs about 25 bucks a gallon but that part that sucks is it cost like 20 to ship it

AReaHerps

OUCH! Thanks. I think I must have tried spelling it a different way. Not sure why I would do that.

Sent from my Android using the Tapatalk Forum App! It's awesome!

Thread Information