Thread: Feeding

snoopfroggyfrog

Question Feeding

Hi everyone....... could some one please give me some more advice, just wondering about feeding so far this week iv only given my new young whites crickets but as there are 4 of them im not sure how many i should put in the tank and how often?... i am gonna try feeding them by hand but was gonna invest in plastic tweezers before i do as im guessing metal ones arnt a good ideal....
    im not sure what each one is eating cause of dropping them in but ive been putting in about 10 every 2 days as there are quite often 1 or 2 left in the tank after the first night, ive bought some t-rex tree frog dust cricket balancer should i add this every feed?.. also can you advise me as to other food they particularly like & is good for nutrition... thanks in advance any advice will be greatfull recieved....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Feeding

I dust my insect every time I feed. Adult frogs get fed once a week, more if needed. Froglets and other small mouths much more frequently.

I don't use forceps at all when feeding. I do try to watch all frogs eating to make sure they are ok. Not all frogs will eat when your watching. Red-eyes and other extremely nocturnal frogs won't eat until lights out and it's a little hard to observe that. So feed and watch them, if need be you can separate them when feeding, just to make sure they are all eating.

snoopfroggyfrog

Thanks for the advice kurt!

Kerry1968

Because my tank is mainly aquatic I take my little one out to feed him.

I keep the crickets in a container where they eat veg etc. I take them out, dust them with calcium, put them in an old cricket carrier box and add my baby! He'll eat upto 7 crickets in a sitting and then maybe one or two the next day. But he's still little, about an inch and a half long.

I suppose feeding 4 individual frogs like that would be a little time consuming, but at least you would know exactly what each one is eating, if they were fed in separate containers.

7 small or large crickets? Still a lot more than my frogs ever get.

snoopfroggyfrog

Thanks kerry....i think i might try that tho just for a few days to see how much they eat... iv just fed them & straight away one of the very active ones ate 2 so that was good to see its one of the other ones im a little worried about he just seems less lively than the rest & sleeps a whole lot more.. would just be nice to see him witha healthy appetite..........

scribbles

Your frogs may eat in front of you with time. Sometimes when I'm bagging crickets for my geckos and other frogs in the basement, I take my White's with me and they chase the crickets around next to me. I take the back legs off the crickets so they can't run away as fast. Try to make sure they are all eating.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by snoopfroggyfrog View Post
    Thanks for the advice kurt!
    You're welcome.

Kerry1968

Beataway - I feed him mostly large-ish crickets, he can handle them! In size I would say about half to 3/4 inch long. The next day he is less inclined to make much effort though!

snoopfroggyfrog

taking there back legs off what a good ideal! thanks scribbles!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1968 View Post
    Beataway - I feed him mostly large-ish crickets, he can handle them! In size I would say about half to 3/4 inch long. The next day he is less inclined to make much effort though!
    Yeah, that's all the size I fed. It's amazing how little frogs can handle such big crickets. But when I got my frog he was super tiny.

Yours will grow quickly eating so many.

Thread Information