Thread: Stone effect >>>>

Jon

Default Stone effect >>>>

Hey everyone

I have just finished the background and side wall of my terrarium. I have used expanding foam and covered in eco earth. I have a waterfall in the corner and I wanted this to stand out a little more, rather than just covering the surrounding area with eco earth. I wanted to know what I could use to cover it with to get more of a stone effect or stone colour. I will be using black silicon to apply whatever I use.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience in this area?

Any advice is welcomed

Thanks guys
    Jon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HomicidalHippie

Default Re: Stone effect >>>>

I was thinking you could maybe use mortar. You can find it at any home improvement store. My Step Mom used it in the making of her outdoor pond. its the same stuff you use to stack bricks. if you mix it right you can mold it to look like rocks. I dont know how well it'll stick to the foam tho.

HomicidalHippie

OR, you can get some cool river rocks and use the mortar to hold them in place. like a stone wall.

HomicidalHippie

I guess there's actually stuff called vivarium concrete. Here's a link to a build log I found showing how this guy used and applied his concrete. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...p-warning.html

J Teezy

i'm pretty sure that herpinvert is not in service at the moment, and who knows when it will be back up. Marty and one other guy from another forum are the only two i've found that used the habicrete. The other guy had a terrible nightmare getting his habicrete from herpinvert.

I have done rock walls with styrofoam which i then cover in several layers of grout

Here is my current project that i just got done applying the first layer of grout too

The background is laying on its back drying so you can't really get the correct visual of what it looks like but here you go. This background was done with styrofoam insulation sheets, and then the areas where the pots are was done with GS foam to foam in the pots. Look for my 29 gallon build thread to see more pics of the background in a step by step process of it

Look for my 10 gallon build thread to see more pics of a completed styrofoam / grout rock wall. here's one pic

the 10 gallon rock wall was painted with acrylic paints and sealed with silicone

RedHed

Wow that looks amazing !!!

Thread Information