Thread: will a 9" marine toad eat a 4 1/2" cane toad

canheaton

Default will a 9" marine toad eat a 4 1/2" cane toad

hello
    this is my first time posting.

I just got a 9" surinam marine toad today. he is so amazing! right now i have him in with my 2 cane toads 4 1/2" and 5". will he try to eat the cane toads? if he did would this poison him? he is sooooo much bigger then my cane toads. should i just set him up with his oun tank?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: will a 9" marine toad eat a 4 1/2" cane toad

They are both highly toxic and should NOT be housed together.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    They are both highly toxic and should NOT be housed together.
    I second this post. Keeping those two species together is a disaster waiting to happen. They will poison each other even if they touch not to mention when sharing a water source and yes your Marine toad may try to eat the smaller Cane toads. Seperate. Them imediately.

Nationality
    [United States]

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Marine Toad and Cane Toad were both names for the same species (Bufo marinus). Even so, they are aggressive feeders and could be cannibalistic, so I concur with those above and recommend keeping them in separate enclosures.

Edit: I just checked and the genus has been changed, so it should be Rhinella marina, but Marine toad and Cane toad are both common names for this species.

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/a...canetoad.shtml
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [United States]

JimO, you're correct on both ponits, they are the same, I was thinking Colorado River toad. / and yes it does consume toads and frogs so separated they must be.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    JimO, you're correct on both ponits, they are the same, I was thinking Colorado River toad. / and yes it does consume toads and frogs so separated they must be.
    Me too. I was confused.. Non the less the larger toad will try to eat the little ones.

Wormwood

Yes, the larger surname toad will try to eat those canies.

canheaton

thankyou! all

it would be extreme for a 9" toad to eat a 5" toad but it could happen! but would it kill the marine??????????????

i did separate the marine from the cane's right away but it had nothing to do with the toxins that they share as a close species ( my cane's have been living together their whole lives,they are about the same size and no danger to each other). When cane toads are young they eat each other all the time with no ill effects. They will not waste the poison if another toad hops on them .They will also not secret their poison into their own water. I know the names cane toad and marine toad are used side by side but I call the true giant toad that comes from surinam, a marine toad. All the others are cane toads. When you see them side by side you wonder how they could ever be mixed up . The surinam marine has a scull 2 times bigger and their 3 to 5 times bigger over all. That doesn't seem like a close match to me! I think not to may people own both. Am I right . Do any of you guys. So to give advice might be out of your field. I love anyone that loves frogs and toads . Not so many people do. But if you have never kept this size of these two kinds toads together ...then You have no clue what your talking about! So maybe I should test it out and get back to you. You may be surprised at the out come!!!!

thankyou!

Nationality
    [United States]

Well good luck & I hope all turns out well for the toads.

Wormwood

I have kept Suriname toad and cane toads together and it did result in the suriname latching onto a cane toads leg and breaking it during feeding time when I wasn't watching. Both are voracious. Unless the toads are of similiar size I would not suggest it and from the sound of it that larger toad could fit the smaller toad's head in it's mouth (HUGE RED FLAG). Toxins and parasites could affect the other species in different ways, no matter how closely related they are.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Wormwood. Now I am no expert and I do not have either of these species, BUT it is common knowledge that larger toad and frog species do not discriminate when it comes to a food source whether it be frog or a toad of the same species or related species and the more voratious eater are the worst for cannibalism and even fighting. For food. The Marine Toad will most definetly be the death of one or both of the Cane Toads. Also RELATED does not mean the SAME so their toxin will differ and can be harmful to one another. I would take the advice given. It is always beter to be safe than sorry especially when you yourself don't even know what the out come will be. If you knew you wouldn't have asked.

Thread Information