Thread: New pacman owner/ Need tips & advice on how to retain humidity & proper feeding

xMETHODZ

Default New pacman owner/ Need tips & advice on how to retain humidity & proper feeding

Hey Guys i have a baby pacman, its about 3 and a half months old & i know that this is a very critical point in its life so im looking for the best possible info on every aspect of its care takings . right now my main concern is humidity , ive had my pacman for three days now & its spent a majority of the time burrowed , could this be due to incorrect humidity levels ? Also i would like to know what i should feed my frog ( Pit ) as its main diet . All help & advice is greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New pacman owner/ Need tips & advice on how to retain humidity & proper feeding

Quote Originally Posted by xMETHODZ View Post
    Hey Guys i have a baby pacman, its about 3 and a half months old & i know that this is a very critical point in its life so im looking for the best possible info on every aspect of its care takings . right now my main concern is humidity , ive had my pacman for three days now & its spent a majority of the time burrowed , could this be due to incorrect humidity levels ? Also i would like to know what i should feed my frog ( Pit ) as its main diet . All help & advice is greatly appreciated
    Welcome to Frog Forum,

Read this Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    Lots of good info to help you out and get you started.

You can cover 2/3 to 3/4 of your screen top with plastic wrap. To help maintain humidity levels. Be sure that if you are using. A heat lamp that you leave space for the lamp to sit without being directly over the plastic wrap. You could also buy a pieces of. Plexiglass and cut it to size, drill air holes in it, and make a lid for your tank with it. You could even set it on top of your screen top to help, but I need to know what size enclosure you have.

For feeding you should use either crickets or earth worms as a staple for now. Crickets should be small. No larger than the distance between your frogs eyes. Earth worms should have pieces cut off of appropriate size. 1" or less for now. You should. Dust your frogs food with a multivitam once a week and with a calcium powder with D3 every other feeding. Babies should be fed daily due to this being a very crutial stage in their life.

Any further questions feel free to ask. There are many experianced keepers and breeders to assist you.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

xMETHODZ

Default Re: New pacman owner/ Need tips & advice on how to retain humidity & proper feeding

The enclosure is about 25 to 30 gallons, im usin eco earth as the substrate & i have a few artificial plants along with a small water bowl in the tank .im using a 50 watt infrared buld for night & day , originally i had a daylight blue bulb wich was recommended by th pet store but i removed it because i found out in this forum that it can damage the frogs eyes, it keeps the temp at about 78 degrees with a small UTH in aid, so going off of your plexiglass solution , would the glass help raise both temp & humidity levels ?

Nationality
    [United States]

The enclosure is about 25 to 30 gallons, im usin eco earth as the substrate & i have a few artificial plants along with a small water bowl in the tank .im using a 50 watt infrared buld for night & day , originally i had a daylight blue bulb wich was recommended by th pet store but i removed it because i found out in this forum that it can damage the frogs eyes, it keeps the temp at about 78 degrees with a small UTH in aid, so going off of your plexiglass solution , would the glass help raise both temp & humidity levels ?
    Yes the Plexiglass would hold humidity and heat in so less would escape. A 25 or 30 gallon tank is way to big. Especially for a baby pacman. They tend to become stressed when in large open areas. The largest you want to go with for a baby is a 10 and that is even pushing it for a baby. The large tank is what is. Causing your temp and humidity issues. The larger the space the harder it is to maintain climate levels.

As for the daylight blue bulb. It is safe as long as you provide cover for your frog to hide like fake plants with large broad leaves. Except if you frog is an Albino Pacman. Then you can't use anny type of daylight basking bulbs.

You can use a Exo Terra Sun Glo bulb that has a concentrated beam combined with a Flukers 5.5" or 8.5" clamp lamp with built in dimmer switch. This lamp with dimmer allows you to control the amount of light and heat produced by the bulb. Stay in the 25 to 50 watt range and you should be fine. Heat lights burn off humidity so as the temp climbs in the enclosure humidity will drop. Something to invest in later or if you wanted to now would be a Zoo Med Hygrotherm Temperature and humidity control unit combined with a Zoo Med Reptifogger. These 2 units combined keep and maintain the climate you want for your enclosure and all you need to do is monitor it. I have them and they work very well.

xMETHODZ

I understand that the enclosure is a little over size for a baby pacman but wouldnt the addition of logs, rocks, & plants make him feel more secure & minimize the open space factor ? Also , when setting up the habitat , should the water be placed on the warmer side of the enclosure , & if so, is that the side wich should be damp ? Thank u so much for the info :]

Nationality
    [United States]

I understand that the enclosure is a little over size for a baby pacman but wouldnt the addition of logs, rocks, & plants make him feel more secure & minimize the open space factor ? Also , when setting up the habitat , should the water be placed on the warmer side of the enclosure , & if so, is that the side wich should be damp ? Thank u so much for the info :]
    All subastrate should be moist or heavily damp not muddy. Absolutely no actual dry area. The water dish should be opposite the warm side so your frog can cool off if needs be. Sometimes even the addition of extra decor to minimize open space doesn't work. More open space and larger tank mean more difficulty for you frog to catch its food. This is bad when your baby needs as much nutrtion as possible. You do not want the crickets to be hidden from your frog or be hard to catch because they're way over on the other side of the tank. The cool side should be slightly more moist than the warm side

For extra security cover 3 sides of the tank with some sort of background.

IvoryReptiles

Hello & welcome.

This happens time & again with people........why do you bother to ask for advice, get it and then argue it?? Grif is giving you advice and trying to help you.
    Yes, even with the addition of a tree & boulders, that is way too large an enclosure for a 3 month old Pacman froglet. They burrow down because the open space intimidates them. For a froglet that small & young, I would suggest a 5 gallon enclosure. Are you de-chlorinating the water you use? The substrate should be moist but not muddy. And honestly, if you insist on using a 30 gallon enclosure anyway, have a water dish on BOTH sides......These are nocturnal, ambush predators, they really do not need a light as long as the temps are kept well.

Hope it helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    Hello & welcome.

This happens time & again with people........why do you bother to ask for advice, get it and then argue it?? Grif is giving you advice and trying to help you.
    Yes, even with the addition of a tree & boulders, that is way too large an enclosure for a 3 month old Pacman froglet. They burrow down because the open space intimidates them. For a froglet that small & young, I would suggest a 5 gallon enclosure. Are you de-chlorinating the water you use? The substrate should be moist but not muddy. And honestly, if you insist on using a 30 gallon enclosure anyway, have a water dish on BOTH sides......These are nocturnal, ambush predators, they really do not need a light as long as the temps are kept well.

Hope it helps.
    I second this post. we are offering our assistance. Any advice given should be followed without question. After all if you knew what was needed you would not ask correct? we are here to help so please do not take offence. As Jessica said this happens way to often and it does get frustrating for us when people ask for our help and then question the our advice once its been given.

Anymore assistance you need please ask.

xMETHODZ

Im not arguing at all, im a new frog owner & im just curious about the reasons behind your advice, i do take ur advice as given, i just covered 3/4 of the screen top with plastic & bought a hygrometer (EXO-TERRA) about 20 min ago & it seems as if the humidity is inreasing. as far as the size of the enclosure , i supposed i can divide it to make the frog more comfortable. also would a waterfall be a good addition to the habitat ? i assume that this would contribute to the humidity. Lastly im currently using a small amount AQUASAFE in his mist bottle & water bowl

Nationality
    [United States]

Im not arguing at all, im a new frog owner & im just curious about the reasons behind your advice, i do take ur advice as given, i just covered 3/4 of the screen top with plastic & bought a hygrometer (EXO-TERRA) about 20 min ago & it seems as if the humidity is inreasing. as far as the size of the enclosure , i supposed i can divide it to make the frog more comfortable. also would a waterfall be a good addition to the habitat ? i assume that this would contribute to the humidity. Lastly im currently using a small amount AQUASAFE in his mist bottle & water bowl
    Are you talking about the Exo Terra waterfalls? They do increase humidity a little bit. I installed one in the Viv I'm building for my Female. My tank is much more efficient at maintaining climate though. Its an Exo Terra 18"x18"x18". I've constructed a basket to hold the substrate and seperate soil from drainage layer. I also made a aquafer so water circulates through the drainage layer creating a natural filter.

Spliting your tank in half will require glass sheet and or plexiglass. You will have to silicone it in place and cover it or darken it so your frog can't see through it. You can buy a 5 gallon tank though that will not be that expensive. A 12"x12"x12" actually woul work perfectly for your little one. They are not that expensive either. Also easier to maintain climate in if you go with Exo Terra or Zoo Med Naturalistic terrariums.

Sublime

I would buy a ZooMed Reptifogger on Amazon or a local reptile shop. I have one and am very impressed with the job it does for $40. Also, you can buy a outlet timer and then you don't even have to worry about turning it on and off.

xMETHODZ

thanks for the info guys, i really do appreciate it, as of now ive spent alot of money trynna get my little guy in, unfortunately i cant afford a retifogger at this exact moment but i wanna get Pit settled in as good as possible, is there anything else i cant do temporarily to help the humidity rise, the screen top is 3/4 covered with plastic, ive dampened my substrate as much as possible without it becoming muddy i have a heatin pad on one side of the tank & my infrared on the other, any other tips ? the humidity is just above 50%

xMETHODZ

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Are you talking about the Exo Terra waterfalls? They do increase humidity a little bit. I installed one in the Viv I'm building for my Female. My tank is much more efficient at maintaining climate though. Its an Exo Terra 18"x18"x18". I've constructed a basket to hold the substrate and seperate soil from drainage layer. I also made a aquafer so water circulates through the drainage layer creating a natural filter.

Spliting your tank in half will require glass sheet and or plexiglass. You will have to silicone it in place and cover it or darken it so your frog can't see through it. You can buy a 5 gallon tank though that will not be that expensive. A 12"x12"x12" actually woul work perfectly for your little one. They are not that expensive either. Also easier to maintain climate in if you go with Exo Terra or Zoo Med Naturalistic terrariums.
    That sounds very interesting, i would love to know how u set up that aquafer system !!! It never ceases to amaze me how creative you can get with these set ups !!! what did you use to build your substarte basket ?

Nationality
    [United States]

That sounds very interesting, i would love to know how u set up that aquafer system !!! It never ceases to amaze me how creative you can get with these set ups !!! what did you use to build your substarte basket ?
    The basket is made from eggcrate. You can find it in the lighting sections at Home Depot. The aquafer is actually quite simple. You use a sumesable pump and place it in about 1 1/2" to 2" of Hydroballs which are an exspandable clay substrate that are used as the drainage layer. You have to add water to the drainage layer and run a water line from the pump that comes out of the background which the water streams back down into the drainage layer. Once I'm finished with the Viv ill post a thread in the Vivarium section of the forum when I'm finished. It will explain how I did everything.

Where are your gauges located?

xMETHODZ

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The basket is made from eggcrate. You can find it in the lighting sections at Home Depot. The aquafer is actually quite simple. You use a sumesable pump and place it in about 1 1/2" to 2" of Hydroballs which are an exspandable clay substrate that are used as the drainage layer. You have to add water to the drainage layer and run a water line from the pump that comes out of the background which the water streams back down into the drainage layer. Once I'm finished with the Viv ill post a thread in the Vivarium section of the forum when I'm finished. It will explain how I did everything.

Where are your gauges located?
    My guage is located at the top right corner over the water bowl & under the infrared bulb, & great im looking forward to your post !!

Nationality
    [United States]

My guage is located at the top right corner over the water bowl & under the infrared bulb, & great im looking forward to your post !!
    If you only have one or 2 gauges you should place them in the dead center of the tank 1 to 2 inches above the substrate to gain a more accurate overal reading. Your gauges should always be located where your frog lives which in this case is down at ground level.

Thread Information