Thread: Is he shedding?

lenore

Default Is he shedding?

Hello! I'm new to the forum and to frog keeping really. I got my first frog a few weeks ago. He's a male Pacman frog. He's over four years old I took him on as I was looking for one and the person who I got him from couldn't keep him any longer. Anyway to my question, he's gone very pale and I supposed it would be because he was going to shed but he's been like this for over a week is this normal? I've started thinking it might be due to stress but do they go whitish because of stress? Am I being paranoid? Or is there really a problem? Should i take him to the vet to be sure? I just don't want to go to the vet if there is nothing really wrong with him. He still eats and croaks at night. So I'm just not sure. I'm soo confused!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Is he shedding?

Unlike snakes, frogs don't lighten when shedding. They can lighten or darken depending upon the background they are positioned on. So if the substrate is something light in colour like paper towels, the frog will lighten in colour. On a dark substrate such as shredded coconut shell, it will darken.

I have two White's treefrogs in a tank that is flooded with water to about seven to eight inches deep. The back of the tank is painted black. There is a artificial tree stump emerging from the water. One frog hangs out on top of this stump, the other sleeps directly on the back wall. The one on the stump is green, the other brown. When they are fed, they are placed in a white translucent box where they both turn green. Upon returning to the tank, they go back to their favorite spots and turn back to the shades they were before.

So I wouldn't worry. Unless of course the substrate is dark and the frog has lightened, then it may be time to see the vet.

lenore

Thanks for the reply. But I think a trip to the vet is due because he is on shredded coconut shell. :s

Would he go pale if he was stressed? I'm gonna take him to the vet anyway but I'm wondering if it would be better for him to be in a different room than my budgies as they are constantly making noises.

Thanks for the help.

Kurt

I have never seen a frog turn pale from stress or noise, so I guess a trip to the vet is in order.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What temperature are you keeping him at? If it's too cold this could happen, and if it's too dry he could be starting to prep for aestivation.

jody

I agree about the too low temp. and he is proly sulking. the one we have that we bought sulked for several months, eating very little. he likes his coconut bark floor very wet. and is happy at 85-90 degrees. our second horned frog was left on our doorstep in december. he sulked for a couple weeks looking pale and sleepy but is just as happy as the other now.

jody

yes, I asked a few peeps who keep them and all say low temp and dry conditions will cause pale sad looking frogs. 80-85 degrees. and the coconut husk is good, but mine seem to be happy with the fine stuff rather than the chunky hairy looking stuff. we tried other things like paper towel, that reptile carpet, and moss, but they really are not happy unless they can hunker down into their little wallow that they take pains to make just right. if its too dry they will splash it out of the water dish until it becomes what you see in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jody; March 14th, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling.

jody

I am not an expert. one of my neighbors apparently figured out I kept frogs. and gifted us by way of abandoning this guy tank and all on my doorstep. He likes dusted crickets knight crawlers and large meal worms. I have also fed minnows, but some say fish are bad to feed. we went out right away and got a heating pad which is stuck to the back wall of the tank, and temp and humidity guages. we also added a hood light because the pad was not large enough. he has a 25 watt spiral type bulb in it which does not put out a lot of heat, but raises the temp during the day to 85.

lenore

I keep him at around 78 F. And mist him everyday. I'll try putting the temperature up. I use a heatmat stuck to the side of the RUB I keep him in, is this ok? Or should I switch to something else? I'm really sorry for all the questions. Thank you all so much for the replys.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What's the ventilation like in there? I would imagine you have stopped up the lid to keep the heat in because of how inefficiently heat mats/pads heat the air when they are on the side of the tank? Personally I advice a screen lid but with an overhead incandescent bulb, for about 12 hours a day. If your house doesn't get below the late 60s F, late teens Celsius, then it's fine.

lenore

I'll try out what your suggesting. To be honest I just stuck with what his previous owner had him in and the way he dealt with things but my house may be colder I don't really know. I'll buy the stuff I need tomorrow. Thanks.

Thread Information