Thread: Breeding questions-- experienced people only please. :x

Default Breeding questions-- experienced people only please. :x

Okay sorry wasn't trying to be rude or anything... But I don't want answers from anyone who has never had any experience on these... Anywho. I'm hoping to breed one of my african clawed frogs... I bought three of them from a store 8months ago that had them as 1.5inch-2.5inch and I have a big albino female(I'm 90% pos. it's a female). Was wondering if I can breed them and if I can- how? Also. In the event I end up with over 50froglets anybody know where I can give the surplus to? I also wish the surplus went to good hands. I don't want them to end up in hands of people whom are not going to give them the best life they can have. I have a 2.5tank I can keep the eggs in. I just wanna know advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Breeding questions-- experienced people only please. :x

Anything you would want to know about hobbiest level breeding can be found here:
    Jenste Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Anything you would want to know about hobbiest level breeding can be found here:
    Jenste Frogs
    I heard some people do surgery on t he frogs to take the mating parts out and I'm not going to sacrifice my frogs for an ything. I'm attached to them. So was wondering what's a sure fire way to get them to mate. I'm looking for any oddball tip too. On how to make the batch of frogs healthy and strong.

-------
    P.s.

I know somewhat out of topic but sitll about the acf. Anyone ever breed some fish just to feed as a treat for their frogs? If so what species are safe to give?

As well as anyone know how to induce breeding? I read the thing. It's helpful and learned 2 new things. But still doesn't answer my question on how I can induce breeding season for them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi
    The first page on breeding does have a paragraph about how to induce breeding =)

I have never heard of surgeries on the frog's sex organs but who knows!

A way to help ensure healthy froglets is
    1) have healthy, fully mature adults. You want your frogs at least 16-18 months old. They can breed before that, but it is for their health that you wait.
    2) be prepared before you start breeding. have all the food ground up in the mortar, the breeding tank set up and have contacts with lots of the nearby pet stores to see if they will take in your stock. You will be lucky to get $1 per frog in store credit but its better than being over run with frogs and having to over stock tanks. Also, a healthy female can have over 2000 eggs. Even if only 50% manage to make it to the froglet stage, that is over 1000 froglets you will be responsible for. It is not an easy task and you should probably cull most of the eggs for the first few breedings so you don't get over whelmed.
    3) give females lots of time off in between breedings. A female should not be bred more than 3-4 times a year. It takes a lot of energy out of the females body to make that many eggs and over breeding means a potentially fatally ill female, and weak eggs which will lead to frogs more likely to be runts, deformed, or ill.
    4) make sure you do not inbreed. if your frogs came from the same region at the same time (even different pet stores but with in a narrow time frame) you can risk inbreeding as there are not a lot of ACF suppliers and the stock probably distributes to multiple sites in an area.
    5) patience =)
    6) treat the adults like kings. Reptomin sticks and earthworms are the best possible diet.

Some people breed guppies at home to feed the ACF. But use these only as treats and only if you raise them yourself. The are not a nutritionally complete diet.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Thread Information