Thread: Pacman safe plants???

Sadam

Default Pacman safe plants???

Id like to get something that is very very hardy, my room where the pacman is doesn't get much sunlight. To tell the truth he doesn't get much sunlight at all where he's at but it is sunny in the room so the day/night thing isn't bothered the frog is usually burried before I wake up and comes out before i go to bed.

anyways im thinking of picking up some hydro balls to put under the dirt to help keep humidity (even though it's at 75-80 pending time of day), he just doesn't have a lot of cover at the moment and i'd like to try with real plants. Would i also need to get a heat lamp for the plants (i can do that it will help with heating his cage too i figure i can hang it off the ceiling to keep it from getting too hot and just adjusting it until it's right.

So far he has some bare dirt he likes making craters in.

Oh also any ideas on keeping him from kicking his dirt in his water? the frog seems to like to do that and then he's all muddy lol. Any help is appreciated. (I can get images if you'd like but his tank is super sad right now. I tried growing a tree in there but it died, it was supposed to be super hardy :/)

Thanks in advance, yes im a noob i feel dumb lol. I can say how to care for them but i cannot for the life of me tell you how to make a terrarium.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman safe plants???

Hi Sadam,
    I do not keep a Pac; I keep tree frogs.
    But I do have a green thumb!

Firstly, if I were to put a plant or plants in an area that gets low filtered day light, I would use a pothos.
    Secondly, If I were going to put a plant in with a Pac ( knowing a speck about their behavior) I would use a pothos.

I would also keep the plant in a pot. (! re-potted w. tropical cocoa fiber)
    The pothos come in a few green shades. They can be trimmed and left growing bushy and upright ,or you can let some of the branches/vines trail in the viv . When the vines get long ( some of my vines are 3 feet long) they can be wrapped around a piece of drift wood that bends upward, providing a shaded and a 'secure feeling' area underneath where your Pac hangs out. Also, check out a Snake plant. It is a very straight upright plant that is sturdy. If the leaves of the pothos gets damaged, it will bruise. It can be cut off and will not hurt the plant. Stem cuttings can be rooted easily in water. In fact, they can live in water indefinitely.

Don’t be concerned about using the tropical soil for potting your plants. I have, I think 14 potted plants in my enclosures, ALL thriving in this. Your Pac will take of fertilizing the plants If you are unsure as to how to prepare A NEW plant , do a search here on FF. There are lots of great threads regarding this. Home depot and Lowes will have great prices on pothos and snake plants.

Re-potting a pothos:
    ( I would suggest purchasing a few $1.99 ( 4”pots) ) as they will be easier to manage. Also, purchase or use a new larger pot for re-potting . ALL of the soil that came with the plant MUST be removed. This is the annoying part and it’s messy. I have actually done in in the kitchen sink. But beware !!!!! I needed a plumber !!

Get a big bucket of water or use the hose outside to get ALL of the store soil off. The pothos plant is going to fall apart because it was planted at the plant factory in a bunch of little pieces. At this point it looks like you have ruined your plants !!!! Fill the bottom of your VERY clean container you want to use in you viv with very hydro balls ( 1”) or screen mesh ( I use screen mesh) to keep the tropical soil from draining out of the bottom of the pot. Dampen, the soil really well (sometimes this takes a long time for it to soak up the water). Poke holes or dig little holes in the soil and re-plant each piece of pothos in you new pot. Rinse off all the leaves, and place the pothos in a sunnier spot (not direct sun) and let it recover and ‘grow-out’. ‘Grow-out’= a few weeks outside your viv to let the pesticides and fertilizer grow out of the leaves. Don’t skip this step, the reasons are obvious !

If you have any questions , let me know. If I do not answer on this thread PM me or please leave a message on my visitors page! Enjoy

As for getting dirt in his dish? Ha ! I don't think you have a choice! I think they LOVE getting dirty, You might post that question on the Pac forum?

Lynn
    Last edited by flybyferns; March 31st, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Sadam

Default Re: Pacman safe plants???

ooh ok, those sound nice, ill deffinantly be getting some of those and new planters lol and mesh.

Would Hydro balls work under the mesh for the plant? cause that would be cool, they sound like the balls my mother in law uses for her plants only they come in different colors. I know the terrarium hydro balls, i seen them at petsmart. If it helps the plant ill get some of those too.

Thank you so much for helping me, Ill deffinantly do a lot more research for my frog!

Thread Information