Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Blue Phase?

scribbles

Default Re: Blue Phase?

They are more blue than the green phase, but are still green.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I still go with teal.

And yeah. What a ridiculous conversation. It's Kurt's fault.

I just want to know what I'm supposed to call them. It's indisputable that some frogs are more blue then others (though still green by official standards) but I can't call them "in the blue phase" because they're still apparently green. Yet I need to call them something or it'll be like "Hey I have a bunch of... white's tree frogs that are sorta blue looking but actually green due to color spectrum stuff. Do you want some?" to which I will get a bunch of confused stares and akward silences. Despite them not being blue, I've noticed a lot of members seem to prefer "white's tree frogs in the blue phase" as opposed to the standard green/brown variety.

So, fine I admit they are officially green and not blue due to green covering a wider range of hues then blue. However, I need something to call white's that obvious have more blue than yellow in their green. What do you suggest?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You can "officially" call them "blue". Most people know them as such, and regardless of their actual color, we all understand what you mean. Also, most people will infer that they are the Australian variety given the "blue" coloration, but you can throw that in there as well.

Alex

Today during lunch I was telling my mom that the store I work at was going to have White's Tree Frogs on sale. I had to take a minute to explain that "White" referred to the man who discovered them. But after that point, I said, "It sucks though. Only the regular White's will be on sale, not the blues." And she asked what the blues were, and I told her that's what I had, and she said, "But they're not blue."

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Today during lunch I was telling my mom that the store I work at was going to have White's Tree Frogs on sale. I had to take a minute to explain that "White" referred to the man who discovered them. But after that point, I said, "It sucks though. Only the regular White's will be on sale, not the blues." And she asked what the blues were, and I told her that's what I had, and she said, "But they're not blue."

Just a matter of opinion to me.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal6 View Post
    So for people who are specifically interested in white's tree frogs closer to blue, what label would you like us to give them?
    White's treefrogs, if you really need more than that, try Australian White's treefrogs.

Last night I had an Indonesian White's treefrog staying the night. I took him to the vet today for a friend. He was more to the yellow side of green, when compared to my Australian White's treefrogs and a lot bigger then mine too. Sadly a lot louder than mine too! Scared the **** out of me at one point. It was dead silent, then all of a sudden a loud "Waaa". Thankfully, he is out of my home and back at his home.

The vet diagnosed it with "red-leg" by the way.

Kurt,

Are all of the non-blue blue ones from Australia, and the regular ones from Indonesia, or does Australia have some of the more-yellow-than-the-non-blue-blue White's?

Kurt

I believe the Australians to be more on the bluish side of green and also have a tendency to be smaller than their Indonesian counter parts. I wouldn't be surprised to find out somewhere down the road that they are two distinct subspecies.

So then...can the two kinds be mixed in a terranium? I had been taught at work they could be...wouldn't be the first time we learned something that wasn't necessarily true.

*watching conversation with great interest*

*watching conversation with great interest*
    The answer is still blue.

Kurt

So then...can the two kinds be mixed in a terranium?
    I don't know. The Indonesian that was here last night was big enough to eat my Australian White's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I don't know. The Indonesian that was here last night was big enough to eat my Australian White's.
    I think that would be worth investigating. Even if they were the same size, I wonder how they would do together. Are their habitats the same? If they are the same frog, just different colouring, I would assume they could, but if their habitats are different, then maybe they need to be separated.

Personally, I'm not sure I'll get the regular (Indonesian) White's. I like the non-blue blues.

I think that would be worth investigating. Even if they were the same size, I wonder how they would do together. Are their habitats the same? If they are the same frog, just different colouring, I would assume they could, but if their habitats are different, then maybe they need to be separated.

Personally, I'm not sure I'll get the regular (Indonesian) White's. I like the non-blue blues.
    If I remember correctly one has a more pronounced supratympanic ridge then the other. (Suggesting coloring is not the only thing different about the two)

It would be interesting if there were a few differences between them.

Kurt

If I remember correctly one has a more pronounced supratympanic ridge then the other. (Suggesting coloring is not the only thing different about the two)
    That would be the Indonesian.

Kurt

Are their habitats the same? If they are the same frog, just different colouring, I would assume they could, but if their habitats are different, then maybe they need to be separated.
    White's come from many different types of ecosystems in Eastern and Northern Australia and the island of New Guinea. I think it is safe to say that the Indonesian and Cape York specimens are rainforest inhabitants. While those found in New South Wales could be considered to be in a temperate zone and those from the Outback are arid zone dwellers. The adaptability of this species makes it a hardy one and that contributes to their popularity, especially amongst beginners.

20. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

scribbles

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    White's treefrogs, if you really need more than that, try Australian White's treefrogs.

Last night I had an Indonesian White's treefrog staying the night. I took him to the vet today for a friend. He was more to the yellow side of green, when compared to my Australian White's treefrogs and a lot bigger then mine too. Sadly a lot louder than mine too! Scared the **** out of me at one point. It was dead silent, then all of a sudden a loud "Waaa". Thankfully, he is out of my home and back at his home.

The vet diagnosed it with "red-leg" by the way.
    Haha. One of mine chirps to the sprayer bottle. They both jump me at night crashing into the vines.

kevinpilon1

I see blue.
    this frog. is. amazing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information