Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue Phase?

Kurt

Default Re: Blue Phase?

Do I have to? My eye still sees green.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you sure that your eyes don't see a tiny bit of red, some green, but mostly blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They are still both green. The one on the left has more yellow in it and the one on the right more blue, but they are still both green.
    Explain your amazing deductive logic.

into

Here's my comparison shot and I agree with kurt.... still green. You can;t go by digitized RGB values by picking a single pixel as a sample. The lighting and camera would give you different values. Besides, "green" is probably more subjective anyway... as any combination of blue and green could be either blue or green depending on one's own perception. We had a previous discussion about a red White's tree frog.

When I look at my white's I see a warmer yellow-green (Jade) and a cooler blue-green (Dumper). If Dumper was next to something I would consider blue, he would look very green. Ok, maybe he is teal?

Kurt

I did go to art school (college) and I am scale modeler (national champion status). I know green when I see it and can tell the differences between different shades. I know how to mix paint to replicate those hues.
    In the frogs previously posted, one green has more yellow, the other more blue. It still doesn't make one yellow and the other blue.

But the picture of my blue wasn't next to a regular White's!

I do think the colour is closer to teal though.

I did go to art school (college) and I am scale modeler (national champion status). I know green when I see it and can tell the differences between different shades. I know how to mix paint to replicate those hues.
    In the frogs previously posted, one green has more yellow, the other more blue. It still doesn't make one yellow and the other blue.
    So colors of paint? Or... blue-green then?

Kurt

Using Chris' photo as an example. Both of my White's look Dumper, but I still call them green not blue. Blue phase to me just doesn't exist. Sure some have a bluish tinge to them, but they still are not blue, they're green. And the differences between Jade and Dumper doesn't suggest to me any kind of phase or morph, as they really aren't that drastically different. Does this make sense?

There is most definitely a difference between the blue phase and the regular White's. So...what would one call it if not blue?

into

Here's another comparison.. skin on skin.

That's a great picture.

Using Chris' photo as an example. Both of my White's look Dumper, but I still call them green not blue. Blue phase to me just doesn't exist. Sure some have a bluish tinge to them, but they still are not blue, they're green. And the differences between Jade and Dumper doesn't suggest to me any kind of phase or morph, as they really aren't that drastically different. Does this make sense?
    I do understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I see a difference. One of my blues doesn't look much like a blue, but I still see a difference sometimes. I usually don't see much of a difference between the colorations of bearded dragons, but they exist.

into

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    I do understand what you're saying, but I disagree. I see a difference. One of my blues doesn't look much like a blue, but I still see a difference sometimes. I usually don't see much of a difference between the colorations of bearded dragons, but they exist.
    After seeing pictures of whites and in stores, there does seem to be 2 distinct colors (at their most vibrant) of whites. The greenish ones and the bluishgreen ones. I also don't believe there is a mutation involved as I have yet to see a different color or a combination of the two. Of course when they are darker shades throughout the day, I see grey, purpleish, red, brown, dark blue, etc...

I'm not sure if I think it's a mutation. Are the two colours from different places, or the same place? Is it more like recessive and dominant traits? There is a variety of colours that both will show, but there's still the frogs that get to that blue-ish green, like you said.

into

I'm not sure if I think it's a mutation. Are the two colours from different places, or the same place? Is it more like recessive and dominant traits? There is a variety of colours that both will show, but there's still the frogs that get to that blue-ish green, like you said.
    From what I've read "blue phase whites" are morphs created by selective breeding... from what most people say, it's a ploy to charge extra money for them. Dumper wasn't labeled as a blue phase, but as an Australian White's Tree Frog. Jade was labeled as an Indonesian White's Tree Frog. They had them in separate enclosers and charged extra for the aussie variety. I have another one (scooter) who was labeled as a "blue phase" and I paid the most for him. He is always dark colored so I can't tell what he really looks like at his brightest. Someday I will put them all together to see if there is a range from bluish to greenish.

Kurt

there is most definitely a difference between the blue phase and the regular white's. So...what would one call it if not blue? :d
    green!!!!!

So, then we would have White's Tree Frog and the Green Phase White's Tree Frog?

How about teal? I still like teal!

Kurt

Don't get me started on beardies. I guess the point I am trying to make is there is not enough differences here to call them phases or morphs, and certainly not enough to charge more money for one or the other. No matter what you call them at the end of the day they are all still green and not blue (the frog, not the beardie). Show a "blue" phase White's to someone outside of this arguement, hobby, subculture, what color the frog is and they will answer green every time.

Kurt

Teal is not even a real color. It a made up by furniture upholstery people to sell more (White's) couches.

I've always seen the two frogs at the same price, just with different names. They always include the word "Dumpy" on them too. Which is why I'm so use to calling mine blue dumpies. I don't think it's worth having different names to sell them at different prices. But I still like the different name.

At the store I work at, regular bearded dragons are $60. Pastels are $120. Sometimes I see a difference, but sometimes I don't, and I think it's lame.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information