Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orchids

Default Orchids

What is the humidity and light requirements for an orchid like you would have in a vivarium? Are they pretty hardy? They're so expensive, I want to make sure I don't kill it immediately.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Orchids

They are fragile. Most get destroyed from critters climbing on them. Unless you are experienced with orchid care, I advise against them for vivaria use.

A good starter orchid are one of the species commonly sold in grocery stores and mega-marts. They are a great cheap way to start out and learn the basics of orchid keeping and get some practice in with them.

My wife laughs at my orchid hobby.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

What do you suggest for the spontaneous buyer who already bought one because her friend said, "Oh, that plant looks nice!"? lol

Azhael

Phalaenopsis, the ones that as Johnny says are commonly sold, are hardy and require little care.
    Read around the internet the basics of orchid care, since they need a few different things than "normal" plants.

Frogsong

Quote Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
    Phalaenopsis, the ones that as Johnny says are commonly sold, are hardy and require little care.
    Read around the internet the basics of orchid care, since they need a few different things than "normal" plants.
    Oh, I grow Orchids! I'm happy to hear I can use them with my future froggies.

Kurt

Probably not with White's, I believe they will destroy your orchids.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Whites are destructive. But dart frogs are fine with orchids

My White's have seemed to ignore the orchid I have in there. But either the lighting or the humidity is off...I'm not sure what it is.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

White's won't intentionally destroy your orchid, but they are heavy enough to break new flowering stems or damage fragile new leaves. Thats not to say that they will, but it is a possibility.

Frogsong

I have several Phalaenopsis Orchids which have very thick, stiff leaves. So I don't think they are going to hurt the leaves. The flower spike might be another matter. The flower spike is also pretty thick, but if I were to support the flower spike with a bamboo support would that help? I think the biggest worry would probably be the frogs knocking the blooms off.

When it was first mentioned about the frogs damaging the orchids, my first thought was that they maybe dig in the potting medium and uproot the plant.

If I were to place an orchid in with them, would I be able to still feed my orchid, or would that be dangerous to my frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by tylototriton View Post
    White's won't intentionally destroy your orchid, but they are heavy enough to break new flowering stems or damage fragile new leaves. Thats not to say that they will, but it is a possibility.
    Yeah. Mine just seems to ignore it, in general. I'm really just wondering if my humidity or the light is off.

So I was going to spend a night at my family's home...it ended up being more than two days. I was sure the frogs and snake would be fine, so I wasn't worried. The lights were off. But I didn't even think about the orchid. When I came back, almost all the leaves were in the water and on the ground and it looked rather dry. Any suggestions so I don't lose the plant?

Kurt

Water it.

Bearnandos

Hi,
    I am new on this fantastic site - but I do have experience with Orchids
    Feel the Orchid leaf - it has to be firm, if its all limp then it has received too much water.
    If the leaves have become darker - then it has not had enough light, if its gained a yellow hue,
    its received too much light......if I had a pic it would make this easier lol.
    I do grow many different mini orchids in my vivariums with my thumbnail frogs as larger frogs can damage
    the flowers or normal sized orchids let alone miniature orchids....but orchids do very well in vivariums due to the high humidity and the temps.
    If you do have orchids in your vivarium - DO NOT use fertilisers as they will receive all the fertilisers they need from the livestock in your vivariums.
    One good thing to add in your vivarium for your orchids if possible are Tropical springtails and tropical woodlice, they will keep mold and fungus away from your orchids and also help reduce any chance of getting mites - hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearnandos View Post
    Hi,
    I am new on this fantastic site - but I do have experience with Orchids
    Feel the Orchid leaf - it has to be firm, if its all limp then it has received too much water.
    If the leaves have become darker - then it has not had enough light, if its gained a yellow hue,
    its received too much light......if I had a pic it would make this easier lol.
    I do grow many different mini orchids in my vivariums with my thumbnail frogs as larger frogs can damage
    the flowers or normal sized orchids let alone miniature orchids....but orchids do very well in vivariums due to the high humidity and the temps.
    If you do have orchids in your vivarium - DO NOT use fertilisers as they will receive all the fertilisers they need from the livestock in your vivariums.
    One good thing to add in your vivarium for your orchids if possible are Tropical springtails and tropical woodlice, they will keep mold and fungus away from your orchids and also help reduce any chance of getting mites - hope this helps.
    I really appreciate this post. I wish I had gotten it when you posted.

Unfortunately, I had some issues, and was away from home for a few days, and when I came back all the leaves had fallen and the roots looked dry, dry, dry. So I think it's a goner.

maneeta

I almost can't imagine that your phalaenopsis died just because you were away a few days, maybe it was "sick" before... I have tons of phalaenopsis so I tried putting one into my White's Tree Frog-tank (bonded it onto a branch) few months ago and it's very well. Actually those orchids don't need a lot of water, the humidity in the tank should be sufficient, but not all of them react the same (I own about 20 or more and had a few losses although I keep them all under the same conditions), so maybe you'll give it another try? You just shouldn't plant it into the soil, and they die very often if there's water where the leaves grow out of the plant.

I had actually put it pretty high in the tank, maybe 6 or 8 inches below the light, so that was no water nearby. I did mist it everyday or every other day.

exboyz04

I got Orchids in lots of my tanks and they do relay well, just as long as you give them the right care.

Only use rain water or R.O water. (Tap water will kill Orchids)

Let the roots dry out between spraying and never let them sit in water or become to waterloged or the roots will rot.

Make sure there getting enough light, palced at the top of the viv near the light.
    (I use a Repti Glo light).

I remove the pot & bark its in and just strap them with some sea fishing line to the back of the Exo Terra polystyrine background with moss around the roots.

Also good venterlation importiant.

See the pictures of my bullfrog viv with a orchid that has just flowerd.

Good luck......

So pretty.

The bark is still in the vivarium right now. The few days I was gone, there was no light either, so maybe it was that? Or maybe I misted it too much? The roots always seemed so dry though.

The roots are still there, but just look really dry...think there's any hope?

exboyz04

It maybe ok now you got the light on now, (keep the light on a timer).

Should be ok, just keep a eye on it.

If you can post a close up picture of it here and i can see how its looking (If you got a camera though ) !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    So pretty.

The bark is still in the vivarium right now. The few days I was gone, there was no light either, so maybe it was that? Or maybe I misted it too much? The roots always seemed so dry though.

The roots are still there, but just look really dry...think there's any hope?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information