Thread: White's froggy staying in water bowl...

Oliversmiles

Default White's froggy staying in water bowl...

Hello to everyone! I am new to the forum and I have a question about our froggy Oliver. Oliver has been in his water bowl, non stop, for about 4-5 days. Even if I take him out and clean his bowl, he goes right back in as soon as the bowl is back in his tank. He is eating but I've never seen him do this and I was a little concerned. Generally he sleeps in his log during the day and eats, swims, and climbs at night. We've had Oliver for a year and he was probably a few months old when we got him. If anyone has any info about his new obsession with his water, I would be soooo thankful!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: White's froggy staying in water bowl...

I remember there was a thread recently about a frog (not a White's, though) staying in the water, and someone suggested possibly the frog was constipated. I can't find the thread though. How is the humidity?

Oliversmiles

The humidity is good. But, now that you mention it, he usually has poop in his water. But I haven't cleaned any out in a few days. And I don't see any fresh poop either. IF it is constipation, what can I do to help him??

I'm unsure. Too bad Kurt or John or someone really smart isn't around.

I'll try to do some searching on the forum though and see if I find something.

I didn't find anything, other than other people mentioning their frogs staying in the water bowl because of constipation. You'll have to wait till someone who knows more about it comes online.

What do you feed them?

Oliversmiles

We feed Oliver crickets and meal worms (occasionly). He's never been constipated before and nothing has changed with his diet or habitat. But he is FOREVER in his water bowl!! He looks good...eyes are bright and weight is good. He ate 4 crickets last night, which is normal for him. I hate the idea of him being constipated. I wish there was some way I could "move" him along!!

Kerry1968

I'm pretty sure I read that warm water will get things moving!

Perhaps bathe him in a little dish of blood temp water? I don't think that would be too hot.

Oliversmiles

Please forgive me if I sound completely silly (I am from GA after all!) but what is blood temp water? Is that warmer than "luke warm"? He is in his bowl now and the heat lamp is over it. But I think I might try the bath idea. Once I am clear on blood temp!!

Kurt

I believe what she meant the water to be the same temperture as the human body.
    Feel the abdomen for anything hard. I am not 100% sure this is an impaction case. If it is, it may require a vet's attention.
    What exactly is the humidity level of the enclosure?

Oliversmiles

The humidity is near 55% right now. Here is my concern....I turn his heat lamp off at night. Well, it has been rather chilly at night here in North Carolina. My oldest daughter has asthma and the warm air isn't good for her, so we don't run the heat at night in our home. The temp, when we wake up at 7am, in the house is around 68 degrees. Is this to chilly for Oliver? Could this have stressed him out? He was shedding last week....

Oliversmiles

His belly feels fine. He is out of the bowl for now. He is sleeping on a leaf deep inside the tree in his tank. This was something else that bothered me. Him being awake so much. He is usually sleeping in his hollowed log through the day. And up at night. But for 2 days now he has been in that bowl everytime I walk by his tank. I really hope my buddy is okay....

Kurt

Water maintains its temperture longer than air, so it is possible that he maybe too cold. The tank should have a heater, either a ceramic heater installed in a clamp light or a heat pad attached to the side of the tank. Keep the temps above 72 and lets see what happens from there.
    Also keep a sharp eye for feces.

Oliversmiles

HE POOPED!!! It was in his water bowl this morning. He isn't in his water as much but he isn't eating as much either. I think he may have eaten 2 crickets last night. If I put a heating pad on the side of his tank, what should I set the temp on? I really think he may be cold. His belly is soft, eyes clear, skin looks great (other than the recent shedding) and he isn't doing any of the odd things I've read about that indicate he is ill.

Kurt

Then there is nothing to worry about then. The tank should be in the upper 70's to lower 80's F.

Thread Information