Thread: Would this be ok?

Miss Roddam

Default Would this be ok?

So i have some frog spawn from my pond and i was wondering when they are adults would it be ok to use this?

I was thinking since mine in 4.4 litres and has a crack up the side would i be able to put an empty ice cream tub in for the water and the surrounding be soil with plants? Oh and i would only keep 1 maybe 2 in there and let the rest go. Oh and don't worry i will put easy access in and out of the pool part. Its just because it will be easier to move than my ten gall/ 12 litre
    Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Flick

Default Re: Would this be ok?

What are the dimensions of it?
    What species of frog are they?
    If heating is required for said species, how will you provide it?
    Is the lid entirely ventilated?

Just a few questions I'd personally need to know before I made a judgement.

J Teezy

just from the picture i'd say that looks like a 5 gallon tank. Seems pretty small if you ask me. General rule of thumb for most frogs is 1 frog per 10 gallon. If its tree dwelling you'll want more vertical than horizontal and vice versa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Roddam View Post
    So i have some frog spawn from my pond and i was wondering when they are adults would it be ok to use this?

I was thinking since mine in 4.4 litres and has a crack up the side would i be able to put an empty ice cream tub in for the water and the surrounding be soil with plants? Oh and i would only keep 1 maybe 2 in there and let the rest go. Oh and don't worry i will put easy access in and out of the pool part. Its just because it will be easier to move than my ten gall/ 12 litre
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Miss Roddam,
    I have never kept a wild caught frog , so I am unable to specifically comment on their care! ( I have kept only one, captive breed species)

Have you determined if it is legal to take them into captivity?

Please consider this: there are well researched and major reservations about 'taking' wild caught frogs -- they should be left in their natural environment , unless it's necessary to introduce a species to captivity or for another valid, scientific reason. We have so many captive bread frogs species to chose from. If you would to attend a reptile show , you would have many, many to choose form.

Can you imagine - having the 'whole' of nature to explore then be taken and put in a glass tank with restrictive sides and lid?
    Captive animals are used to living in these enclosed spaces but wild animals are not. If you love them and think they are adorable leave them there !!

Sharing: I go frogging every year in the Catskills in up-state New York since I have been a little girl. It is a blast ! I have found and held 100's of the sweetest frogs and toads of every kind in the area. Here is a little cut-and-past out of my journal from the frog pages. Hunting, touching, and documentation is a hobby in itself!

my list:
    Eastern Spadefoot
    Eastern American Toad
    Northern Cricket Frog - not for many years
    Northern Gray Treefrog- my favorite
    Cope's Gray Treefrog
    Northern Spring Peeper
    Upland Chorus Frog- very difficult to find !
    Bullfrog
    Green Frog
    Mink Frog
    Wood Frog
    Northern Leopard Frog

I understand that this is a very personal decision.

Caution! Be prepared for the risks to "Orchid" ; parasites, illness, and so - that could be passed on to your froglet!
    As with any new animal - including captive - you must stick to a strict quarantine period to avoid this risk, and perhaps a trip to the vet for each- if they were to be properly cared for.

Is a big responsibility, for all of us to preserve a creature's natural habitat. Especially frogs, as some species are disappearing, or conversely, terribly invasive due to human interference.
    Here is a good site to read regarding the identification of endangered and critically endangered frogs.
    AmphibiaWeb
    Just something to think about !!

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Miss Roddam

Hi thanks for the comments
    And just to be clear im not taking 'wild' frogs out from the pond im just taking the frog spawn and it is allowed in England since they are a native species ( European common brown frog)
    And the dimensions (does that mean like the size i kind of forgot :/ ) are i think : Medium: 29cm x 17cm x 20.5 4.4 Litres i think its either the medium or the large because i have seen the same model but smaller than mine and the info i got from ebay where i found the same one as mine starts at medium up to super. Hardly any of the cool species you all have in america ect are here in England But in my signature please ignore it saying orchid my cute R.Temporaria because that was last year in july and the crickets as her food source escaped in the house and my mum went mental and made me release the froglets. My parents love me but don't seem to like my hobbys of keeping amphibians/snails :P
    Hope i dont sound iggnorant
    PS: The lid has loads of bars/ gaps / holes for air to come in and out but not wide enough for a small frog to escape :P

Owler

I reared Temporaria tadpoles last year and re-introduced as froglets at around 3 months.
    You will need a horizontal 10 gallon tank per 30 tadpoles, feed them fish flakes - I used bacon fat dangled in with cotton thread quite a lot.
    You will need to make VERY sure that you have a GRADUAL slope for them to get out of, they have terrible strength and water navigating skills and will drown. They will not climb up rocks or rather anything unless it has a 10% gradient.

Please consider releasing them to where you got the spawn when they have grown, although it's not illegal to take spawn it bloody well should be as our frog populations are in massive decline.
    Do not re-release into anywhere except where you found them, red-leg is rife in these frogs and you will help spread it.

Just remember - 60% humidity - 21c and you'll be sorted.

8. This member thanks Owler for this post:

Flick

I'd probably want to go bigger myself, especially if you planon keeping more than one. I have 3 frogs in a 90x60x65 and it still seems too small.

Owler

Yeah, they're fairly large as well. I'd keep a pair in a 20 gallon, preferably 30.

Miss Roddam

Ok so thanks for all the help/replies. I think it might actually be the large/extra large one
    i measured around
    Height: 25cm
    Length: 40 some thing cm
    Width: around 25 cm
    On ebay the sizes are: Large: 36cm x 20.5cm x 25.5cm 8.75 Litres

Extra Large: 40.5cm x 23cm x 28.5cm 12.75 Litres
    And also thanks for the tadpole food advice owler Its really going to help me when the frogspawn "hatches"?
    Also should i use the blue on (i have been posting its sizes) or the black glass one that is really heavy?

Owler

The extra large would do for one adult frog or 3-4 juveniles up to 9 months.

The two tanks you posted are not an ideal shape or size really, you want a nice long terrestrial tank 60cmx45cmx30" (LxWxH) would be a good size for an adult pair.

Thread Information