Thread: My 1st Agalychnis callidryas!!! I'm so excited

AReaHerps

Talking My 1st Agalychnis callidryas!!! I'm so excited

I won't hog up your time with too much writing because what really matters are the pictures of my newest addition to my herp collection. My very first Agalychnis callidryas! Since the first time I saw one as a kid, I always wanted one. At that time, they were not readily available and the prices were beyond reach. Difficult to justify even for my father which supported my herp addiction even at that age. Not much has changed in the herp addiction scenario. He/she is a cbb baby I picked up for $40 from a local herp shop. One of their customer bred them. Also, could someone please confirm their opinions about Red Eyes living happier if there is cage mates. I read somewhere (now I cannot find the link) that they prefer a communal setup. I hope you all enjoy my little package of cuteness!
    Oh...and can someone please tell me what the little white spots on its back are. I was ready some stuff that said it was normal and other articles saying it's a possible bacteria/condition.

I will post this particular question in another thread as well but I would love to hear some ideas on plants and type of setup that my new frog would love. Also, is this cage large enough for its entire life?
    Thanks for viewing.
    Name:  Agalychnis_callidryas_1.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  50.7 KBName:  Agalychnis_callidryas_2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  26.1 KBName:  Agalychnis_callidryas_3.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  34.3 KBName:  Agalychnis_callidryas_4.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  54.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: My 1st Agalychnis callidryas!!! I'm so excited

Congrats, my Agalychnis callidryas "Burn" is my first frog I absolutely love him Yours looks good!

To answer your questions. Frogs for the most part aren't really a social animal. The only time they really run into one another in the wild is when they mate. With that said it isn't really a thing about making them happier by getting tank mates, but also tank mates aren't a terrible idea either. (granted you have the space for them to live comfortably). Those spots you are seeing are more than likely the normal spots they have. When I noticed the ones on mine I freaked too but he's perfectly okay. Good luck and enjoy his/her company, they such fascinating animals.

Edit: One thing I noticed while looking at his enclosure you should probably get a few more plants in there, either fake ones if you want to try live plants the pothos plants are wonderful. Also make sure you have a clean source of dechlorinated or spring water in a dish for him/her as well, don't use untreated tap water. You can mist with distilled water to avoid spotting on the glass. That looks like the tank I have for mine, 12x12x18 should be good for their entire life. If you get him a tank mate though you will have to probably find something a tad bigger.

Here's my little guy:

and here's his home:

AReaHerps

Thanks for the reply! "Burn" is awesome.
    About the tank....Yeah I agree. I'm not quite done with it. I took those pictures very early in the setup that night. I'll be honest. He was an impulse buy. I knew I had plenty of stuff to get a setup working for him quickly when I got home so I didn't feel bad getting him without having a setup actually ready. This setup is definitely temporary. I am planning a custom background, misting, and a "waterfall". It will more like a small stream of water. I'm planning on putting some live pothos I've had raised myself for my Amazon Tree Boas so I won't have to worry about pesticides. I'm going to mix it up with some vines and fake plants for the pothos to use to grow on. One question I have about your setup is your feeding procedure. Have you found that food gets lost in there?

S13

No, I use a glass dish. Crickets go in, and the only way they leave is when he eats them. More info can be found here... http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html

Its really good for monitoring feeding and not having to chase uneaten crickets or searching for dead ones and picking them out.

Tom

hi
    i'll also get some red eyed tree frogs next month
    but.. isnt the terrarium way to small?
    i have read it has to be at least 60x40x60cm or so
    im planning to get 60-80x40-50x80-100cm
    is it a problem when i put young frogs in a terrarium that large?

ill remember the glass bowl trick thanks!

AReaHerps

I will also use the glass bowl for feeding. I have plenty and you are right, that is a good way to monitor feeding. Thx for that tid bit! Those are the kind of things that are so simple yet so helpful. Honestly didn't even think of that. I'm trying to get in the habit of feeding him right before I go to bed. It will be easy to count how many I put in and how many are left the next morning! I was wondering...my room gets pitch black in the night. Do they need any type of light (moonlight)simulation or anything to help them hunt?

That little baby is inside a cage that is 12inx12inx18in (Zoo-Med NT2 I believe) and I would hope that is plenty large enough for that little thing. My personal opinion is they come from expansive rain forests. I've observed it the last couple of nights and it was cruising all over the tank checking stuff out. I personally think this size is perfect, maybe even into adulthood. 2 adult frogs in that cage might be too much. What do you all think? I wanted to pick up another baby today. Would they live happily in that cage into adulthood?

S13

Uh it may be a bit small for 2. I've been debating myself since I want to get a second one but I have the same exact tank you have. As far as night lighting, they dont require any. They can fully function in pitch black conditions. I hear that you can use a red bulb for night viewing and it won't disturb them, I hear that it slightly disturbs them. I haven't got a solid answer on that but I use them from time to time to see their activity.

AReaHerps

How long does it take them to get full grown? For instance, how old do you think the baby I have is? What I'm getting at is, if I do get another one, how long would I have before I would have to figure out another vivarium?

S13

Now that, I don't know. I've only had mine for about 4 months so far, the previous owner said he was about a year old already. One thing though is, you would want to get another frog around the same size as your current one, and quarantine the 2nd one for at least 30 days before putting them together.

AReaHerps

I forgot to mention on the previous reply...I just ordered my pump for my waterfall. A small (4"x1.25"x1.25") submersible pump. Should get about 2-3 feet of vertical pump height. I'm only looking for a small dribble of water to roll down a faux wall I'm going to create. I want to get a light for night viewing but I would rather not get anything if it's going to bother them.

AReaHerps

Quote Originally Posted by S13 View Post
    Now that, I don't know. I've only had mine for about 4 months so far, the previous owner said he was about a year old already. One thing though is, you would want to get another frog around the same size as your current one, and quarantine the 2nd one for at least 30 days before putting them together.
    The additional frog is a sibling and from the same cage it was in previously just 3 days ago!

Sent from my Android using the Tapatalk Forum App! It's awesome!

Thread Information