Thread: Azy (whites) might have worms?

InfinitysDaughter

Default Azy (whites) might have worms?

I checked out this guide (Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid) and its made me wonder a bit. Azy is a major eater, if I let her she'll eat 10 crickets a day, and always has been a big eater even at the store but shes fairly thin for how much she seems to eats. Even the girls at the store said it was odd how thin she was but since she was with another Whites in a smallish tank that maybe she just didn't get as much to eat as they thought. I think shes gained some weight since being here but I'm not 100% on that. And ever since she got home she hasn't been very active and just sits staring at the background on her tank (though I think there is a cricket or something that looks like one in the picture so she might just be staring at that) but I dont know what is normal whites staring and whats considered "listless".

But last night when I removed the waist from her tank it was, well, goopy-ish instead of log-ish (i know, ew), it smelled horrid (usually it dosn't have a smell at all), and there were these small white dots in it.

Am I being overly neurotic and seeing an illness where there isn't one? I'm a bit trigger shy after what happened to my Pac.

The first aid guide said that having FENBENDAZOLE (PANACUR) on hand at all times is a good idea and does give proper amounts on how to treat worms if she were to have it. Is it safe to get it and treat her if I'm not 100% or should I see if petsmart will do a fecal exam for me so I know for sure?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Azy (whites) might have worms?

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    I checked out this guide (Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid) and its made me wonder a bit. Azy is a major eater, if I let her she'll eat 10 crickets a day, and always has been a big eater even at the store but shes fairly thin for how much she seems to eats. Even the girls at the store said it was odd how thin she was but since she was with another Whites in a smallish tank that maybe she just didn't get as much to eat as they thought. I think shes gained some weight since being here but I'm not 100% on that. And ever since she got home she hasn't been very active and just sits staring at the background on her tank (though I think there is a cricket or something that looks like one in the picture so she might just be staring at that) but I dont know what is normal whites staring and whats considered "listless".

But last night when I removed the waist from her tank it was, well, goopy-ish instead of log-ish (i know, ew), it smelled horrid (usually it dosn't have a smell at all), and there were these small white dots in it.

Am I being overly neurotic and seeing an illness where there isn't one? I'm a bit trigger shy after what happened to my Pac.

The first aid guide said that having FENBENDAZOLE (PANACUR) on hand at all times is a good idea and does give proper amounts on how to treat worms if she were to have it. Is it safe to get it and treat her if I'm not 100% or should I see if petsmart will do a fecal exam for me so I know for sure?
    I would have a fecal exam done first. Their are other parasites that can cause runny stool and even stress can cause this. Having the exam done before treatment is a good idea. You could also have a vet check it and send the sample to a lab to teat for parasites that don't always show up in a. Standard fecal exam.

InfinitysDaughter

Ok. I'l talk with Lori and see if they'll do a fecal exam without me having to take her back (we also have Banfeild animal hospital in our store so everything goes threw them). I just dont like moving my frogs around so much because it totally stresses them out (and Azy is stressed because she just got moved to a new tank a few days ago).

Thanks as always Grif. <3

InfinitysDaughter

Well Lori was in a mood today when I finally got to talk to her so I never really got a straight answer about if it could be worms or not. But Azy's tank was retaining water for some reason (I think it was because I misted it just as much as the smaller tank but the smaller has a UTH and the larger didn't but does now) so I added a little more eco earth and laid off the misting a little and the earth isn't as muddy now. Tonight when I found her poo it wasn't completely normal but it wasn't goopy like before so I think maybe it was just too wet and either stress or something caused it.

Now that I have the UTH I should have an easier time keeping the sub at a reasonable wetness plus I got some frog (pillow) moss that I'm going to encourage to grow in her tank so that should help with retaining humidity without the sub getting too wet.

But I'm still keeping a close eye on her waist to make sure and if she needs a vet visit I'll get her in asap.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You're welcome.

I would make sure you take your frog to a vet that treats frogs! I went to that banfield hospital when I had my chameleon, he had parasites and his eyes were infected. They didn't test for the parasites, only treated his eyes..I found another vet a day later that treated them and she automatically got samples and said he was infested and died that night. It was too late for him, I got him from a reptile show. Not knowing where they got him. My point, go to someone that you know can treat your animal!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

InfinitysDaughter

Different Banfields have different doctors. Our bandfeild has a very good reputation with everything from fish to furries to reptiles/amphibians, dogs and cats. They check out all our returned and foundling sickies. If the docs dont know how to fix it they send them over to the Illini hospital who also specializes in reptiles and amphibians.

I understand your concerns. Just, like I've said other places, our petsmart is much better then many other petsmarts and our banfeild is much better then other banfeilds.

When I said Lori was in a mood the other day I found out it was because she had a sick hamster that she was worried they would have to put down. She gets very upset about sick animals that she cant help so she is constantly learning and expanding on what she knows so she never has to see our pets suffer. She was more or less upset because she had told me a whites would be much more work then a pac (which to me, Azy isn't but thats because I've had tree frogs for a while and Azy is, well, just a bigger version of my beloved Helly) and she thought I was letting Azy get sick because of my perceived inexperience. When I told her that I adjusted my care slightly and Azy was doing much better she was happy and said I was doing well and to keep her informed so she could help if I needed it.

She said the runny stool was probably because Azy was stressed from a way too damp tank and I just needed to watch how much I misted but if it came back that I should bring her in to get a stool sample done to make double sure she dosn't have parasites.

Thread Information