Thread: Help needed! Must find! :d

BerryNight

Question Help needed! Must find! :d

I need some information on how and where I can find a gray tree frog in my area. I live in a rural area with deciduous mix forest. There is a swamp up the street from me but I had no luck finding any there. I hear them as well as I her the peepers. There are some streams and some ponds around but I have never seen any by the streams. I need help finding where the best place to look is and when. I was hoping to find them during their mating season and possibley get a male and female. Please give me some suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JHansson514

Default Re: Help needed! Must find! :d

I don't have any advice on where to find the gray tree frog, but I think it is best to leave wild animals in the wild. Wild animals don't always do well when brought into domestic life. It can be very stressful considering the dramatic change in environment setup and size. I would recommend buying a frog from a store instead.

BerryNight

Thanks for the tip Jen. I usually don't catch them but just wanted to know where I could find them.

Nationality
    [United States]

You write, "possibly get a male and female." You're on Frog Forum where you will find mostly condemnation in "getting" or removing frogs from the wild, for what frog enthusiasts believe to be, obvious reasons. However, that written, I would suggest looking in rain barrels or other places where humans have collected water, where tadpoles have hatched and are in danger of being destroyed. Such rescue is commendable and far more fulfilling then removing or "getting" a male and female from the wild. It is approaching that time of year when tadpoles can be seen and I wish you luck in rescuing the tads, raising a few at home but wisely releasing most into a pond. Captive bred Grey Frogs are indeed difficult to buy; quite simply, no market value. This makes your quest a most difficult challenge indeed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They don't ALWAYS do well, sure, but...mine did.

I caught my first gray in a friend's swimming pool back in 2005. He was relatively young at the time. Not a froglet, but a small, young frog. The stress of silly younger me playing with him daily didn't cause him to die. Nor did my moving to a different climate (I caught him in Virginia, and then moved to Minnesota 2 years later). He died in January.
    I got my second gray (friend caught her) in August 2006? 2007? She only lived until 2009, but she was definitely older than my male.

Personally, I have no qualms about catching things wild. I grew up in the sticks and loved chasing down and snatching up little critters, though the frog was the first one I didn't release.

Grays are pretty hardy little stinkers. I mean, if it lives in such a wide range of temperatures, and can handle below freezing temps in the winter, and handle being messed with, I'd say it's got a good chance of making a GREAT wild caught pet. Shame they're not big in pet stores, they're great pets! And cute too.

But yeah, like Sniffer suggested, check rain barrels, check kiddie pools, check man-made ponds, check your backyard. They'll sometimes hop around.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

InfinitysDaughter

Wild caught Grays do do fairly well in captivity. I caught mine late last summer and she survived the cat shoving her tank off the table (it was like world tumbling down around her. literally), the cats constant torment on the other side of the glass (though I will bet anything she antagonized him just as much as he did her....she was rarely active during the day unless he was near by watching so it makes you wonder if she intentionally did it to pester him), being introduced to a store bought baby green, and near constant handling. She actually very much liked to sit on my upper chest and watch TV or sit on the desk and watch me play games on the computer. I was her personal jungle gym and the oils on my hands did not seem to bother her in the least. She only recently died because she ate a Asian lady beetle that got in her tank (there poisonous to pretty much everything).

THAT BEING SAID!

I do not condone catching wild frogs or wild anything. Taking one female out of the population could have a serious affect on the population. I did not know this when I decided to keep my little girl. Now that she is gone I am currently trying to entice some grays to breed in a bucket of water in my back yard. I intend to ensure all the eggs hatch, release all but about 50-100 tads in the creek down the road, and raise the rest to froghood. Then I plan to keep 2-3 and release a good clutch of healthy frogs that can then go and breed the next year.

This is what I suggest you do. Its satisfying to raise babies of your own and you develop a relationship with those babies along the way. I know, silly cuse there frogs but I feel frogs are similar to dogs and cats in the sense that they can develop close bonds with there owners. I know Helly (my gray) liked me more then anyone else cuse she wouldn't climb on anyone else like she would me. I know Azy (my whites) is developing a relationship with me as she was content to crawl around on my shoulders as I changed a few things around on her tank the other day.

If you know there are grays in your area just set out a tall-ish (roughly 2 feet or more) bucket of water with some branches that stick out of the water and add some long grasses and leaves. Set the bucket near a porch light or some sort of place where moths or other flying bugs (again, watch out for the asian lady beetles) congregate and sit back and wait. Once you see eggs (the care sheet at the top of the forum will show you what to look for) care for them as best you can and then see which frogs develop there own bonds with you and you are set.

Nationality
    [United States]

Take your laptop outside, turn up the volume and listen for the reply to the recording of the Grey Tree Frog. It is possible they may not be in your area, hence little chance of tadpoles in rain barrels. These frog sounds can be found on FrogForum as well as Sounds Of North American Frogs Soundtrack CD Album produced by Smithsonian. These recordings do get the attention of my Copes Grey I raised from tads, and allows me the opportunity to learn various other frog sounds. Highly recommend this Smithsonian CD but much of it can be played without investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryNight View Post
    I need some information on how and where I can find a gray tree frog in my area. I live in a rural area with deciduous mix forest. There is a swamp up the street from me but I had no luck finding any there. I hear them as well as I her the peepers. There are some streams and some ponds around I need help finding where the best place to look is and when. I was hoping to find them during their mating season and possibley get a male and female. Please give me some suggestions.

BerryNight

Thanks guys! I'll try everything! The water bucket thing is geniuos.... I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier! Thank you do much! I'll update you!

Thread Information