Thread: Salutations Amphibian Efficienados :)

Yusil

Talking Salutations Amphibian Efficienados :)

Hi .

All about me is in my profile, but I'll give you a quick synopsis .

I'm 18, trained classical musician, been studying animals for as long as I have music (all my life ) and I have an affinity for remembering sizes/colours/scientific names/common names and other details of most animals that I learn about(probably got this from my music training).

I have a few animals, I like keeping small animals, my largest being my Trachemys Scripta Elegans - Sora.

I currently only have one frog, a Tree Frog or perhaps more specifically a Chorus Frog; Eleutherodactylus Johnstonei native here through accidental importation and is the extremely close relative of Eleutherodactylus Gossei, which is a native species found here and in Jamaica (and perhaps other parts of the world). Very similar in looks to the Victorian tree frog Litoria Ewingii and is known as Johnstones Robber Frog, but I call her Lily .

I want to get her a playmate, but we don't sell frogs here, so I actually have to find another one for her manually.

I found her right outside my doorstep, stuck under a cloth, which is moved now, but I took her inside and am keeping her in my room. It's actually quite symbiotic, I house her and she eats the little roaches and moths that I find around the house. Needless to say, the cockroach infestation has dwindled quite abit. I've had her since early February, at first in a small tall container, but now she's in my Snail's old tank, with vines growing all over and she likes to sit on them. Still a work in progress.

Just two pictures so you can see what she looks like. Unfortunately for us, but fortunate for her, it's quite dark in my room, so I actually had to use a flashlight to see her properly. I keep my curtains closed, so that during the day it's quite dark, although alittle light comes through, so it's not completely dark.

(Sorry if pictures have to be attached ).

(oh ps- that red container next to the tank, is where my snails now reside (Otala Lactea & Rumina Decolotta), along with cultured Armadillidium Vulgare, of which 4 are an abnormal orange colour )

Kurt

Default Re: Salutations Amphibian Efficienados :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yusil View Post
    Hi .
    I have an affinity for remembering sizes/colours/scientific names/common names and other details of most animals that I learn about
    Oh really? Muwahahahahaha! I can give you a run for your money. Just to let you know the species name is never capitalized and neither is the subspecies if applicable, only the genus is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yusil View Post
    1- Eleutherodactylus Johnstonei (Johnstones Robber Frog) - Lily (10% chance she's Litoria Ewingii)
    How is this possible? Litoria ewingi is an Australasian species and a member of the family Hylidae. It is a native of Australia and it has been introduced to New Zealand. As far as I know, there are no other introduced populations in the world, believe me I just looked it up.
    Eleutherodactylus johnstonei is a Neo-tropical frog and a member of the family Eleutherodactylidae, not even related.

That being said, welcome aboard.

Yusil

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Oh really? Muwahahahahaha! I can give you a run for your money. Just to let you know the species name is never capitalized and neither is the subspecies if applicable, only the genus is.

How is this possible? Litoria ewingi is an Australasian species and a member of the family Hylidae. It is a native of Australia and it has been introduced to New Zealand. As far as I know, there are no other introduced populations in the world, believe me I just looked it up.
    Eleutherodactylus johnstonei is a Neo-tropical frog and a member of the family Eleutherodactylidae, not even related.

That being said, welcome aboard.
    I'm always ready for a challenge .
    I prefer to memorize everything, but I understand that .

Oh I know, but there have been reports of Litoria Ewingii here, though not as prominent as Australia or New Zealand, but if you look hard enough you may be lucky to find one. It's not against the law to bring them here, so I assume people have over the years, or they just stowed away. I only said there may be 10% of her being that, because I have a tiny doubt of her actual species, although I'm pretty sure it's E.Johnstonei, but she lacks the orange-gold quality to her eyes which are supposed to be common to E.Johnstonei.

I know they aren't related, but are similar in appearance, which is what I was refering to .

That being said; Thanks for the welcome .

Kurt

You're welcome.

Thread Information