Thread: 'Screech' Pacman Tank Setup

Silver00LT

Default 'Screech' Pacman Tank Setup

Okay....it's come a long way since I messed up and bought him without research three weeks ago. If you are doing your research before you purchase a pacman. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the care guide available on this site. Thread: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Setup/Cost:
    30G Tank(was old fish tank coverted) - Too much
    Stand - Custom built
    ^ I converted them because I already had them and good quality. To make it easy I have around $300 invested just in tank and stand.

Zoo Med Reptifogger - $60 - Petsmart
    Zoo Med Hygrotherm - $100 - Petsmart
    Coconut Fiber Substrate - $7 set of 3 bricks. I bought 3 sets as its hard to come by here(cheaply) Petsmart wanted $7 for ONE brick so price around. I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus.
    Ornaments - $40(I have another log, but the crickets hide from him and being young he needs them as much as he can eat them) - Petsmart
    Water absorb packets(pretty neat keeps crickets alive and the one in tank keeps them off Screech) - $4 for 6 - Pet Supplies Plus
    10-20G UTH - $20
    20-30G UTH - $40
    ^^ Do some research on your tank and lid setup. I have a mesh lid with alum. foil over it except at the lights and heaters full blast(regulated) and lamp it will not go above 82-84*
    Cricket Feeder - $15
    Cricket Cage w/ tubes - $15
    Manual Temp/Humidity gauge - $12
    Rheostat - $25(this was my means of regulating the UTH, and as the Hygrotherm has ONE connection I kept it so it controls both heaters)
    Programable Surge Protector - $30
    Multivitamin Dust - $7
    Calcium Dust - $7
    Lamp Dome - $50
    50w Heat Lamp - $8
    40w Red Heat Lamp(emergencies only) - $8

This is also not counting the moss, cypress bedding and other mistakes I made for not doing my research. That was probably around $75 bucks there wasted.

My settings:
    12Day/12Night setup programmed in my surge protector for 9a-9p 7 days a week
    84* Day temp with a drop of 6* to 78* for night
    80% humidity with fogger set on minimum and a tolerance of 75%

Tank takes care of itself now just gotta monitor it. All I have to do is feed Screech and make sure the water bottle for the fogger is full.

Now do not look at my prices and jaw drop. I kept a good bit of it as I could not return it for a cheaper method as I failed to do my research and it cost my wallet. But Screech is happy and healthy. He eats 2-4 crickets in a 24 hour period. Mostly averaging just 3 though. Fed one at a time.

Picture time:

Screech just literally ate two crickets back to back two minutes before this picture.

Size comparison

Thanks for everyone that helped me with my mistakes. Especially Grifthegreat...thanks a lot. I used cell phone as my camcorder and camera are busy charging.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 'Screech' Pacman Tank Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Silver00LT View Post
    Okay....it's come a long way since I messed up and bought him without research three weeks ago. If you are doing your research before you purchase a pacman. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the care guide available on this site. Thread: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Setup/Cost:
    30G Tank(was old fish tank coverted) - Too much
    Stand - Custom built
    ^ I converted them because I already had them and good quality. To make it easy I have around $300 invested just in tank and stand.

Zoo Med Reptifogger - $60 - Petsmart
    Zoo Med Hygrotherm - $100 - Petsmart
    Coconut Fiber Substrate - $7 set of 3 bricks. I bought 3 sets as its hard to come by here(cheaply) Petsmart wanted $7 for ONE brick so price around. I got mine at Pet Supplies Plus.
    Ornaments - $40(I have another log, but the crickets hide from him and being young he needs them as much as he can eat them) - Petsmart
    Water absorb packets(pretty neat keeps crickets alive and the one in tank keeps them off Screech) - $4 for 6 - Pet Supplies Plus
    10-20G UTH - $20
    20-30G UTH - $40
    ^^ Do some research on your tank and lid setup. I have a mesh lid with alum. foil over it except at the lights and heaters full blast(regulated) and lamp it will not go above 82-84*
    Cricket Feeder - $15
    Cricket Cage w/ tubes - $15
    Manual Temp/Humidity gauge - $12
    Rheostat - $25(this was my means of regulating the UTH, and as the Hygrotherm has ONE connection I kept it so it controls both heaters)
    Programable Surge Protector - $30
    Multivitamin Dust - $7
    Calcium Dust - $7
    Lamp Dome - $50
    50w Heat Lamp - $8
    40w Red Heat Lamp(emergencies only) - $8

This is also not counting the moss, cypress bedding and other mistakes I made for not doing my research. That was probably around $75 bucks there wasted.

My settings:
    12Day/12Night setup programmed in my surge protector for 9a-9p 7 days a week
    84* Day temp with a drop of 6* to 78* for night
    80% humidity with fogger set on minimum and a tolerance of 75%

Tank takes care of itself now just gotta monitor it. All I have to do is feed Screech and make sure the water bottle for the fogger is full.

Now do not look at my prices and jaw drop. I kept a good bit of it as I could not return it for a cheaper method as I failed to do my research and it cost my wallet. But Screech is happy and healthy. He eats 2-4 crickets in a 24 hour period. Mostly averaging just 3 though. Fed one at a time.

Picture time:

Screech just literally ate two crickets back to back two minutes before this picture.

Size comparison

Thanks for everyone that helped me with my mistakes. Especially Grifthegreat...thanks a lot. I used cell phone as my camcorder and camera are busy charging.
    You're welcome Silver00. take good care of him and keep us updated.

falconez

Hello Silver,your setup look fine,I only would suggest you to put the Manual Temp/Humidity gauge a bit lower,as it should stand at 1-1.5 " above the substrate (right next to the probe would be ok),just to take parameters correctly.

pansie

what a cute lil baby!! <3

KingCam

If you notice him getting stressed try keeping him in a smaller cheap sterilite tub until he's bigger. Some juvenile herps get stressed out if they're in an overly big tank. I dunno if that holds true for pacman frogs, just throwing it out there.

Your setup looks awesome!! Good work

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    If you notice him getting stressed try keeping him in a smaller cheap sterilite tub until he's bigger. Some juvenile herps get stressed out if they're in an overly big tank. I dunno if that holds true for pacman frogs, just throwing it out there.

Your setup looks awesome!! Good work
    You're right Cam. Pacman frogs are extremely vulnerable to stress when it comes to their environment.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You're right Cam. Pacman frogs are extremely vulnerable to stress when it comes to their environment.
    Thanks for the confirmation I like it when I end up being right about things and stuffs :P

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation I like it when I end up being right about things and stuffs :P
    They don't like changes. Especially sudden ones. They will freak out become very stressed. This also depends on the frog though. Not all of them will react the same way.

Silver00LT

The gauge is going to be moved when I get more velcro. I had top soil and substrate in there and that was a big hill before the setup you currently see. He loves the tank. He just hops around having fun in it. Already claimed the 'spot' Right now he is over soaking up some heat and moisture under the fogger tube and by UTH while hunting.

He is actively chasing crickets as I type this. Not like running around, but watching them and waiting for the kill lunge. Trying to catch a first video feeding of him. I missed the ones last night. I have thought about swapping to a smaller 'temporary' tank until he grows, but he started eating and moving around happy.

Only thing pissing him off is when I reach in to change his water he gives me the go to hell stare. Since everything is now automated he does not get stressed out that much anymore. I noticed he did not like it when I picked up top to mist, etc. My pinky and him do not go well together he got a hold of me when I changed everything out. Which I deserved it for putting him in cypress bedding.

GeorgiaBulls

Great looking Pac you've got there. That's a serious setup, bet he's really happy..

Silver00LT

Serious on the wallet as well....LOL

Nationality
    [United States]

Serious on the wallet as well....LOL
    I have way more than that invested in my Pacman frogs and purchased a new tank for Grif to move inti when I'm finished. I'm going to make a Viv for her so there will be live plants/a waterfall/and some natural decor. $$$$$, but as long as they're happy and healthy I don't mind.

Silver00LT

I have way more than that invested in my Pacman frogs and purchased a new tank for Grif to move inti when I'm finished. I'm going to make a Viv for her so there will be live plants/a waterfall/and some natural decor. $$$$$, but as long as they're happy and healthy I don't mind.
    I'm seeing multiple hundreds of $$ in setups! LOL

But there is never a single CHEAP hobby ANYWHERE. Whatever you have as a hobby thats what your going to put your money into. And if its for a living thing..making them happy is always the best. I still have a tank setup planned for Screech, and to get it there is going to cost money like everyone elses design. I put it this way...life will never have a ending $ amount. When your dead you can't spend your money.(not going to go into leaving money for family, etc. common sense should say leave your family in good finances)

Silver00LT

Thought I'd post an update.

Changes:
    Rainforest background on 3 sides
    catcus in the middle almost against wall
    Small tree in back left corner
    Log front left corner
    Heaters moved to bottom of tank...do at ur own risk ne prepared to buy new ones if you break it pulling off
    Leaf arrangement in back right corner

Screech's reaction to the changes:
    I tried to again tong feed him AND HE ACTUALLY ATE TWO FROM ME...wish had it on film
    Chased 3rd cricket into leaf arrangement..hopped out and waited...ate it 15 mins later

He loves the new layout and finally glad to get it here....had to wait until substrate change date.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thought I'd post an update.

Changes:
    Rainforest background on 3 sides
    catcus in the middle almost against wall
    Small tree in back left corner
    Log front left corner
    Heaters moved to bottom of tank...do at ur own risk ne prepared to buy new ones if you break it pulling off
    Leaf arrangement in back right corner

Screech's reaction to the changes:
    I tried to again tong feed him AND HE ACTUALLY ATE TWO FROM ME...wish had it on film
    Chased 3rd cricket into leaf arrangement..hopped out and waited...ate it 15 mins later

He loves the new layout and finally glad to get it here....had to wait until substrate change date.
    That's great! Sometimes you just have to ease them into tong feeding, but its best and easier to start them on it as babies.

Silver00LT

That's great! Sometimes you just have to ease them into tong feeding, but its best and easier to start them on it as babies.
    I stood there and blinked several times like "Did he just eat it?!?!" But you could see the leg just a twitching. LOL

Pictures:
    Name:  392389_3735366267765_1384342136_3427898_1479685379_n.jpg
Views: 6840
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  412434_3729460320120_1384342136_3425749_228089091_o.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  61.9 KB

Silver00LT

I am currently looking at the fish cover for this tank and seeing if it can be modified to hold the lights, etc. Just doing some brain storming. It'd help out 1000000000000000 fold on keeping humidity in.

Silver00LT

Update:

Nothing new just changed out Screech's substrate and changed the leaves in corner to where the end is on top of the cactus so we can still see him. Mostly for me to see if the lil thing burrowed to the point where he was not feeding. Eating healthy...had to upgrade to a bigger cricket cage just to keep enough stocked throughout the week.

Thread Information