Thread: Need some advice on alternative foods

Froggiefressh

Default Need some advice on alternative foods

I'm sure my frogs are tired of the same thing over and over and seeing as they stopped eating horn worms I need to add variety to there diets again. I was wondering what everyone offers there herps. I will be getting earthworms from an exotic pet store. They also have red wigglers, mealworms, panfish worms, super worms, and earthworms. My friend will be bring me a bunch of super worms because He gave me his leopard gecko. Out of those other worms I could get what would you recommend me getting? And What do I have to do to make them safe for my herp? I know people say cut the heads off of mealworms and poke a holes in there exoskeleton. Is there anything else I should know about these feeders? I was also wondering if rollie pollies are safe and okay to give to my frogs too? I see people breeding them. If they can be fed to my herps I wanted to take a shot at keeping them. I think that's all my questions. Sorry If I asked anything already answered in another thread!

Thanks,
    Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TropicalDartFrogs

Try waxworms. They are soft bodies and fatty. My darts love em.

Froggiefressh

Default Re: Need some advice on alternative foods

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalDartFrogs View Post
    Try waxworms. They are soft bodies and fatty. My darts love em.
    Thank you for the quick response! I will give them a try anything special I need to do before feeding them to my herps?!

KingCam

Default Re: Need some advice on alternative foods

I feed my animals Lobster Roaches, Blaptica Dubia Roaches, and moths caught on the front porch at night.

Roaches are incredibly easy to culture (breed). Put them in a tub, add some cardboard (egg flats, paper towel tubes, etc), some food (dry organic cat food, fruits, vegetables), a bowl of water gel, and keep them at about 90F (between 80F-110F). "Set it and forget it." They will start reproducing rapidly if they have a secure hot environment with plenty of shelter, food, and water. You only have to clean their tub out once every 6 months or so (unlike crickets which have to be cleaned weekly). 1 blaptica dubia roach is said to have the same nutritional value as 12 crickets!! My animals BEG me for food, they love love love the roaches. Every night when I walk in my animals room, both salamanders and all five tree frogs are at the front of their tanks, crawling around trying to catch my eye :P I'm confident my critters will never get tired of eating roaches.

As far as I know you don't have to do anything special to make a roach edible to your animals. No removing heads, or poking holes, or any of that nonsense you have to do with other low quality feeder insects.

When you have a big colony of roaches there are almost always a dozen of them going through a shed cycle. Right after a shed the roaches are bright white and totally squishy. They don't have a single hard spot on them, think "soft shell crab." My animals go berserk for the white squishy roaches. Plus there are no wings or shells left behind in their droppings, which leads me to believe my animals are digesting more of the nutrients from the roaches that would have normally been trapped in their hardened exoskeletons.

Here is a video of my lobster roach colony devouring some oranges, bananas, and carrots: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...9855667&type=2

Thread Information