Thread: Fowler's Toad Question

LizardMama

Default Fowler's Toad Question

I'm not one who likes to mix and match species of animals together but I just found a Fowler's Toad (rescued it from my dog who wanted to eat it ewww!) and I was wondering if it'd be okay to put it in the same cage as my Gray Tree Frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fowler's Toad Question

Not recommended. The toad gives off toxins that will kill the frog. Sure they co-exist in the wild, but then they aren't confined to a small place where they share the same water and ground space. If you want to keep the toad please set up a separate viv for it. I have 2 Fowler's and they are a hoot to have, very entertaining they are.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I keep a couple Woodhouse toads that I found in my backyard. They are very easy to care for and quite entertaining. The Woodhouse is very similar to the Fowler's and found in the Great Plains. I agree that toads should be kept separately due to their toxicity. I keep mine in a plastic container with ground coconut fiber and a small water bowl.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

LizardMama

I did add the Fowler's Toad to the cage with my Gray Tree Frog, so far nothing has happened to either frog, the Gray Tree Frog is still active, it stays up in the branches, while the Fowler's stays down on the floor of the cage, the Gray Tree Frog has descended to the floor of the cage a few times, nothing happened between either frog, they saw each other and didn't bother neither. The Fowler's Toad is a healthy eater, last night had 7/8 crickets in the cage and when I went to check their cage this morning at 8:30 (woke up at 8 thanks to the frogs, not sure which it was, might have been both, but I felt like I was in the middle of a frog orchestra early this morning lol) anyways there was only 1 cricket walking around. I did change the water this morning. I give my GTF pinhead crickets or the smallest crickets I can find in the container that I have the crickets in for my lizards. I am calcium dusting the crickets

KingCam

lol, I love it when people ask a question but don't actually care about or heed the advice given in response to that question.

It's an undeniable fact that toads produce toxins that are dangerous to your tree frog(s).

Feel free to keep risking it if you want, but don't be surprised when you find your tree frog on his back gasping for air, dying a slow painful death from the bufotoxins your toad produces in the glands behind his eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to agree with KingCam. You're taking a BIG chance on keeping them together. I hope you reconsider this before to long.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

LizardMama

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I have to agree with KingCam. You're taking a BIG chance on keeping them together. I hope you reconsider this before to long.
    Honestly after I wrote that reply I got to thinking about each frogs well-being and decided to look up each's habitat requirements. After doing so I took the Fowler's Toad out and put him in a more drier habitat with a little less water.

Nationality
    [United States]

I soooo glad. This will make Grumpy more happy )
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

LizardMama

I do believe he is. I was on the way to the kitchen when I heard this loud "wwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhh" which made me check outside and all of my pets until I found the culprit: Grumpy who had his chin/throat bubble out. At first when I heard it I thought that a woman had screamed outside

KingCam

I'm glad you separated them, they will both be happier!

LizardMama

Here he is, Grumpy the Fowler's Toad:

Thread Information