Thread: New and Concerned about Gray Tree Frog Not Eating

stephobr

Default New and Concerned about Gray Tree Frog Not Eating

Hello,

I am so happy to have found this site. There is so much useful information and I continue to be ever more fascinated by the different frogs around our home. We live in Connecticut and found a gray tree frog in our driveway in September. Following the guide here, we set up an indoor tank with screen, water, tree branch and foliage from near where he was found. At first our frog was an enthusiastic eater of crickets and meal worms. Beginning last week, he (I think he is a he but really have no idea) has moved very little (no longer in the pattern he was at night moving around and going to his water dish) and is showing no interest in live worms. He has also gone back to his original gray color after being green for a long time. He is breathing slowly and will jump when roused (I tried to interest him in worms 3x this week) but then goes back to "hiding" on his perch. I just put an African violet plant in his tank because it is getting cold and there are few green leaves outside (I was at first giving him Hostas for cover.) He does not seem the least bit interested in eating and I am concerned that he will not make it if he goes too long without food. Is this normal for this time of year? Is there anything I can do to encourage him to eat?

Many thanks,

Stephanie

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New and Concerned about Gray Tree Frog Not Eating

Don't worry they are trying to hibernate.

gray frog in manitoba

Hi & welcome,
    I have had 2 Gray's since July and found that they slowed down as the weather here got cooler ~ early Sept (one also changed color from bright green to gray). They weren't eating as much, but were not as quiet as yours seems to be. I thought they were trying to hibernate, as yours probably is and I've been using a light to provide heat during the day, and turn it off at night. Since then they have perked up a lot. More active and better eating habits. Guess its a choice of letting him sleep, or keeping him awake! Good luck!

stephobr

Thanks so much for your replies. I do think he may be trying to hibernate and we have also been using a light. If he is trying to hibernate, can he go without food? If so, does anyone know for how long? Also, if he is possibly ill, are there any other obvious signs?

Many thanks,

Stephanie

hyla

I had the same issue. I got my little girl in may. I found her on my porch and got her all set up inside. She ate like a pig until the middle of Sept then she slowed down. Stayed in a corner most nights and ate only little amounts. I was worried so I just took her to the vet the other day. She is trying to hibernate. The vet said it is hard to get them to snap out of it once their bodies begin to shut down so she recommended I put her in a colder area of the house with damp cover (leaves, coconut fiber) thats dark and let her be until Feb but no later in case she doesnt have enough fat reserves to keep her from consuming herself. Good luck - yours will be fine.

stephobr

Hyla -- really appreciate your response. Sounds almost identical and does seem to correspond with calendar and temperature drop. I will let him be (I forgot to mention that he has the orange/yellow coloring on his legs that is described as being characteristic of males) for a little while and move him to a darker place. As soon as I put the African violet in, he immediately went there and is hiding under the leaves. Thanks again!

scribbles

The orange/yellow coloring of the legs is present in both males and females.

hyla

Glad to have helped. Mine is in a colder, dark closet now with artificial plants for cover. It seems weird to just leave her there for months, but I guess it is what they do in nature. I will still check on her everyday and mist her ocassionally. I only say mine is a she because she has never sang and I heard males are very vocal, maybe you have a girl too. Next year I will be more prepared for the sudden change of behavior and I will make sure she is good and fat beforehand!

Thread Information