Thread: Please help, one of my RETF Has a eye swollen shut :(

Duuuhhh

Default Please help, one of my RETF Has a eye swollen shut :(

I don't know what happened. First he was really skinny, but i fixed that. A week later He cant open his left eye! On the bright side my other Red-Eyed Leaf Frog is doing fine. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please help, one of my RETF Has a eye swollen shut :(

I do not own Red Eyes and am no expert, but I believe he needs a vet ASAP. Could be an infection or injury.

Duuuhhh

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I do not own Red Eyes and am no expert, but I believe he needs a vet ASAP. Could be an infection or injury.
    Yes i know, but i live in a very rural area with only one vet that specializes in reptiles, not amphibians. I still could try to bring him.

Jdnocente

super stressed... should be bright green, whats the temp. and humidity? what kind of water do u use? RO, dechlorinated, distilled? how old?

Duuuhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Jdnocente View Post
    super stressed... should be bright green, whats the temp. and humidity? what kind of water do u use? RO, dechlorinated, distilled? how old?
    I know he's stressed, My other frog is fat and green. Temp is 71 F at the moment. Don't know about humidity, But I have a moving stream in there so probably high. The water is reverse osmosis, About 1 or 1 1/2 y/o.

Nationality
    [United States]

You should always have a Hygrometer in your frogs enclosure. There is a such thing as humidity being too high and a moving stream does not mean that the levels of moisture are high enough. Do you use de-chlorinated water or spring water in their soaking dish? they cannot use the stream for soaking. Ro water like Distilled water has absolutely no minerals and salts they need to hydrate and use for normal bodily functions.

InfinitysDaughter

That is totally an eye infection. My pac had an eye that looked exactly like that. Even if your vet dosn't specialize specifically in amphibians they may still know or know how to figure out how to take care of the little guy. But he should totally be seen by some sort of medical personnel. If left for too long it'll travel to other systems and could kill him.

Duuuhhh

You should always have a Hygrometer in your frogs enclosure. There is a such thing as humidity being too high and a moving stream does not mean that the levels of moisture are high enough. Do you use de-chlorinated water or spring water in their soaking dish? they cannot use the stream for soaking. Ro water like Distilled water has absolutely no minerals and salts they need to hydrate and use for normal bodily functions.
    I actually have a small section at the end of the tank the water is very still and shallow. The water still gets circulated but not fast. I use RO for the water.

Duuuhhh

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    That is totally an eye infection. My pac had an eye that looked exactly like that. Even if your vet dosn't specialize specifically in amphibians they may still know or know how to figure out how to take care of the little guy. But he should totally be seen by some sort of medical personnel. If left for too long it'll travel to other systems and could kill him.
    Will do.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Duuuhhh View Post
    I actually have a small section at the end of the tank the water is very still and shallow. The water still gets circulated but not fast. I use RO for the water.
    So all the water for them to use to hydrate themselves is RO water? If so that bad. They need a source of water that contains minerals and salts which RO water lacks. This can cause serious health issues. You need a dish or water supply that is either spring water or de-chlorinated tap water. This needs to be corrected immediately. RO water is fine for misting and fog machines, but that's it. Purchase a Hygrometer as well so you can read the humidity levels in the tank. After you get help for your guy first. The need for a mineral filled water source is necessary. If you are not using a mineral additive the water is not good for your frogs as a drinking/soaking source.

Duuuhhh

So all the water for them to use to hydrate themselves is RO water? If so that bad. They need a source of water that contains minerals and salts which RO water lacks. This can cause serious health issues. You need a dish or water supply that is either spring water or de-chlorinated tap water. This needs to be corrected immediately. RO water is fine for misting and fog machines, but that's it. Purchase a Hygrometer as well so you can read the humidity levels in the tank. After you get help for your guy first. The need for a mineral filled water source is necessary. If you are not using a mineral additive the water is not good for your frogs as a drinking/soaking source.
    OK, I quarantined Him with warm De chlorinated water. In a tuppaware container im going to take him to the vet. Thanks for your advice.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Duuuhhh View Post
    OK, I quarantined Him with warm De chlorinated water. In a tuppaware container im going to take him to the vet. Thanks for your advice.
    Good luck. Keep everyone posted on his progress.

Duuuhhh

Well, i went to the vet. Good news: One person services amphibians and my other frog didn't get infected. Bad news: I cant get him in until Monday at 3:20. ****.

S13

You did the right thing. I'm on the verge of taking my White's to the vet, most likely tomorrow since I just got paid tonight and I'm off tomorrow. Wishing you luck and keeping my fingers crossed for your baby.

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad to hear he is getting help, I hope all goes well with your little guy.

You want to get a Hygrometer. I have a waterfall and a pond in my tank and the humidity is around 58-65% without spraying. I still have to spray once a day to maintain the right levels.

Thread Information