Thread: "Up" space or ground space for a Whites?

InfinitysDaughter

Default "Up" space or ground space for a Whites?

When I first got Azy (my new whites) I had her in a wide tank roughly 20L x 12W x14-16D that was fairly old and the lid had some holes where we had put the original heating light a little too close (not big enough for any frog to get threw but big enough for bugs). When my gray tree frog got a Asian Ladybeetle in her tank and died from eating it I decided Azy needed a more secure tank so I bought a Zoo Med 12x12x18.

The problem is, Azy hasn't even tried climbing or hopping around in the new tank. The first one she kept me awake the first night cuse she couldn't get enough of hopping around (and banging into things). Now she just stairs at the background unless I put crickets in.

Here is her old tank

And here is the new (sept I removed the large half log when she stopped sleeping in it because she was having a hard time hunting around it. I also put the drift wood, there in the back, down cuse she now likes to sleep under it and it gives her some more natural hunting grounds)

The twig is large and sturdy enough for her to be on. I've even put her on it but she just jumps down and goes back to sitting in the dirt and staring at the fake background. I know its bare but I want to find some sturdy real plant to put in here for her to hide in and jump on I just have to wait for the nursery's in the area to open up again in a few more weeks.

Would she be better off back in the old tank? If so can anyone give me some tips on making a new lid so these lady beetles dont get into her tank?

On another note: I've realized that Azy dosn't like the be "dirty". I wake up in the morning and her water dish is thick with the dirt she's washed off herself. I know most moss is a no go because of impaction but does anyone know anything about Zoo Meds "Frog moss"? Zoo Med All Natural Terrarium Frog Moss Reptile Terrarium Plants

Is it like the loose moss that can cause impaction or is it more like the kind of moss that will grow and make a layer sort of like frog sized grass? (like this->http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...NBR-SADIkW-F9w)

If its the latter is it an impaction danger or is it safe? If its not safe is there any kind of ground cover that would be ok?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: "Up" space or ground space for a Whites?

Well I dont think I have to worry about her now. Today I woke up and the sides of her tank were covered in dirt from her sub. Me thinks somebody has some wild parties at night after mom has gone to bed and then shes tuckered out when I wake up. The little bugger. X3

You can cover the substrate with leaf litter. Magnolia and live oak are popular choices if you have a place you can collect from, or you can order online.

Moving to a vertical is good, treefrogs generally like to go up. More climbing and more cover would be my suggestions though. Some live plants would be nice if you're so inclined.

InfinitysDaughter

Ya. I want live plants but being only mid March the nursery's and places like Walmart dont have there plants out yet. I was just at Ace and they said probably another 2 weeks before they get anything. >.<

My only concern with leaf litter is not being able to tell if the crickets are hiding in the litter or if they have been eaten. I prefer to let my girls hunt there food in there own tank at there own pace but I also like to know if there eating. Thats why I liked the pillow moss concept because its like a solid piece of growth so the crickets cant really hide in it. But if its an impaction risk I dont want to even bother...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    Ya. I want live plants but being only mid March the nursery's and places like Walmart dont have there plants out yet. I was just at Ace and they said probably another 2 weeks before they get anything. >.<

My only concern with leaf litter is not being able to tell if the crickets are hiding in the litter or if they have been eaten. I prefer to let my girls hunt there food in there own tank at there own pace but I also like to know if there eating. Thats why I liked the pillow moss concept because its like a solid piece of growth so the crickets cant really hide in it. But if its an impaction risk I dont want to even bother...
    Hi,
    I've tried both - pillow moss and leaf litter (currently I use live oak atop my coconut soil). The crickets do hide under the leaf litter, and I've found monitoring the food intake more difficult. But, it's more fun for my white's and I suspect more natural. I don't believe the carpet moss to be an impaction risk as it's connected to the substrate; I just wish I could keep it alive(!)because that's what I'd prefer. OR, a mixture of both leaf litter and carpet/pillow moss...
    and live plants are super low maintenance! I have pothos, ficus, and snake plant (all rooted in the substrate). All were found at grocery stores and Home depot. My white's tree frog loves the foliage.
    You just really need to be sure the fertilizer and littel styrofoam bits are out by rinsing the roots thoroughly and then replanting in a clean pot with coco fiber or eco earth. Then wait a good month before planting in your viv.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Hi,
    I've tried both - pillow moss and leaf litter (currently I use live oak atop my coconut soil). The crickets do hide under the leaf litter, and I've found monitoring the food intake more difficult. But, it's more fun for my white's and I suspect more natural. I don't believe the carpet moss to be an impaction risk as it's connected to the substrate; I just wish I could keep it alive(!)because that's what I'd prefer. OR, a mixture of both leaf litter and carpet/pillow moss...
    and live plants are super low maintenance! I have pothos, ficus, and snake plant (all rooted in the substrate). All were found at grocery stores and Home depot. My white's tree frog loves the foliage.
    You just really need to be sure the fertilizer and littel styrofoam bits are out by rinsing the roots thoroughly and then replanting in a clean pot with coco fiber or eco earth. Then wait a good month before planting in your viv.
    I never thought about rinsing the roots. I thought about burrowing the pots and covering them with ecoearth but it makes sense that the fertilizer might seep threw. I'll go with what you suggest. I dont want to risk hurting Azy with the fertilizer.

Pothos? *looks up* Oh thats the stuff mom tries to grow every year in her hanging pots. X3 Never knew what it was called. That looks perfect. The snake plant, though, it dosn't get too big does it? The pics I see show it taller then a couch! @.@ When it comes to live plants is there anything I should avoid? Anything that could be poisonous?

The pillow moss might need more water if your having a hard time keeping it alive. I think I'll try that and see how it goes for Azy. She seems a little...um....prissy for a frog and just dosn't like to get dirty. X3

Thanks for all the advice!

Thread Information