Thread: Is there any such thing as a diurnal, non poisonous frog I can add to my viquarium?

darkmoondreamer

Default Is there any such thing as a diurnal, non poisonous frog I can add to my viquarium?

Hello. I am new here, joined the forum to ask this question of the frog experts. I have a really nice 55 gallon viquarium with fogger, and am enclosing a photo so you can see my setup. I have 2 tiny Reeves turtles and a green anole in the viquarium currently. The Reeves turtles will not get larger than 3 inches and are burrowers, sleeping much of the day. I would like to add a little diurnal frog to observe during the day. I foolishly purchased a fire bellied toad last week without doing my research, and returned it to the pet store after learning about the toxins it produces and keeping it with other species, although I did love the way it bathed in the river stream and interacted during the day.

I am trying to be very careful about keeping the animals in my viquarium to a very small amount, and making sure the species mix and are safe. A diurnal frog, if found, will be the only animal I add. The anole is very shy and sweet, and never comes down from the foliage. I have researched on my own exhaustively, and can only seem to find diurnal frogs that are poisonous, such as the fire bellied toad and poison dart frogs. I am hoping someone here can advise me as to what, if any, frog species is non-poisonous and diurnal. Thank you very much, Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is there any such thing as a diurnal, non poisonous frog I can add to my viquarium?

Not that I encourage community-tanks and the mixing of species (actually I encourage the exact opposite), but poison dart frogs are not poisonous in captivity. They produce the poison from the insects they eat in the wild, which will not be available when in captivity.

Thread Information