Thread: New to Frog Keeping

Super8Dub

Smile New to Frog Keeping

I have started taking care of a frog as a pet. He is a rather basic frog, an American Green Tree Frog, whose name is Glenn. My terrarium is 24/18/24, and I have on the ground, a fountain w/ a filter, in water that fills halfway ( horizontally ) , with stacked flagstone on the other side. I have a plant for some foliage, some logs and sticks so he can climb, and one of those vines that you can twist. I just got him today, and I've had a few problems, and concerns. When I feed him the crickets, some of the crickets go in the water, so the water doesn't seem like it's helping but I really like the water. My concern is that he is always walking on the glass on the right hand side, he never want's to go on the tree sticks or the flagstone.

I just wanted to get criticized on how I'm doing so far, and what I should be doing to take care of him. Should I mist him? Or have any lights?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: New to Frog Keeping

Sounds good so far. One thing you will have to do regularly while keeping frogs is making sure their temperatures and humidity are where they are supposed to be. Having devices that read temp/humidity is a must. As far as the cricket feeding problem goes, you can use a small glass bowl to place the crickets in. Crickets will not be able to get traction on the smooth glass thus not being able to jump/crawl out. Here's a thread that further explains this http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html. Also with the feeding you are going to want to get some calcium powder and multivitamin also. Dust every other feeding with calcium and multivitamin once a week. Misting is a must, just his enclosure, not directly on him, to maintain proper humidity. They don't require specific lighting, I just use 6500k Daylight lights to produce a day/night cycle and to stimulate plant growth, and heat pads. This usually generates enough heat in their homes to be fine. As far as him just being on the glass and not going anywhere else, give him time. Usually around a week or 2 he'll be loving his home. Do you have any pictures? That'll be great.

velcroshaman

Default Re: New to Frog Keeping

You can mist him daily, or put an air stone in the water that'll help keep the humidity high. As far as lighting goes, they're nocturnal so you just need to keep somewhat of a consistent day/night cycle and don't turn the light on at night in the room where they're at. If you wanna view them while they're active, get a red or black light bulb.

If you want him to stop walking on the sides so much, put a stick diagonally in the corner, slanting down from near the top, and he might end up spending more of his time on the stick.

Thread Information